Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
New lounge opened at Liverpool airport

Airport lounge operator Servisair has announced the opening of a new facility in Liverpool.

A space in the 200-square-metre Halewood lounge at Liverpool John Lennon airport can be reserved by all passengers, regardless of the airline they are flying with, their class of travel or their destination.

Amenities include leather seats, a bar area serving complimentary drinks, wireless internet access, newspapers and magazines, televisions and flight information screens.

The lounge is open from 04:30 to 20:30 every day and provides seating for up to 50 passengers.

Peel Airports Group commercial director Vic Brodrick said: 'Peel Airports Group is delighted to be able to offers passengers the opportunity to use the fantastic new Servisair lounge, which will further enhance the travel experience of flying from Liverpool John Lennon airport.'

Servisair operates a network of more than 20 lounges in the UK, Europe and North America.

Travellers flying from Liverpool John Lennon airport can access destinations including Amsterdam, Berlin, Alicante and Barcelona with easyJet, KLM, Flybe and other airlines.

Source

• Admin
[textarea]Liverpool John Lennon Airport stake up for sale

LIVERPOOL Airport owner Peel is planning to sell up to a 49% stake in its airport business.

At the same time, it also aims to splash out £12.5m on revamping security and shopping facilities.

But the company denies the new developments are dependent on getting an investor on-board.

Instead, bosses say they are looking for a new partner to help further develop the assets of the company, which includes large slices of greenfield land.

The planned revamp of facilities is necessary to exploit retail sales at Liverpool airport.

Currently, many passengers are in a rush to get through security checks and are by-passing shops.

The idea is to make security an earlier port of call and create bigger and better shopping amenities on the upper floor.

Airport chief Neil Pakey said: “Travellers want to get airside as quick as they can, and, although our retail sales are very positive, we feel improvements can be made, especially having looked at the experiences of some other airports.

“The proposed developments at JLA will see a number of improvements for passengers.

“These will include the creation of approximately 1,500 sq m of additional retail space, several new shop units and a new passenger security search area, with new, latest generation passenger screening equipment.

“This is all aimed at reducing queuing times during peak periods.”

Source[/textarea]

• Admin
As I have already mentioned on the DSA and DTV forums, I can't imagine what company would want to invest in Peel airports if Peel don't even want to invest in themselves.

It's becoming clearer now that Peel are looking to offload it's airport business as soon as possible and probably at the first chance it gets. I can't see who would want to take the business on especially if they are expected to take on the whole airport business.

This all makes me wonder? Will Peel sell Liverpool John Lennon Airport as a going concern? What will happen to Doncaster and Durham Tees Valley, who knows?

LPL could be seen as a going concern owing to its success in recent years. DTV is questionable although it is part owned by the local authorities who could perhaps sway a decision by another owner. DSA is uncertain, Peel have spent millions on getting it up and running. They have managed to attract subsidies from local development agencies who seem to be keeping the BHD flights operating (not sure if they will continue to see this as value for money) and the 'Directions Finningley' operation.

The break up of the Peel Airports division has been rumoured for some time, it is quite obvious that they are struggling financialy and Peel Holdings are not prepared to subsidise it any longer.

Peel did manage to sell a similar share in its ports division, more so for the share than Peel paid for the whole thing. The difference is ports are unique in their geographical location and will continue to be important assets for years to come. Airports are struggling throughout the UK at the moment and the skeptics are saying that uncertainty hangs over the heads of many of them (though the issue is more complex than most articles on the subject would like us to believe) and now is not the time to go buying up airports which require significant investment long-term in order to get any return.

I personaly see this as a lack of confidence in their airports business which, in turn, will look bad to any potential investor.

I couldn't agree more, and this must surely cast a shadow (at least) over the future of DSA and DTV. There is a rumour doing the rounds that Thomson Airways will up and leave (or at least downgrade) at DSA and move back to LBA where they appear to be losing passengers to Thomas Cook, who of course have a base there in summer. If Thomson are aware of this, and suspect Peel holdings might be struggling, it would surely only encourage them to leave - rats deserting a sinking ship etc?

Certainly, as we've also seen in this last week, termination of contracts favours the airlines, as in the case of DTV and BMIBaby...

I would think TOM can keep running DSA due to their market persuasion- I.e. if i were to book a Thomson holiday from Yorkshire it will likely be from DSA- this is in part showing that DSA has no real market and relys upon poaching pax from other airports. FR's DUB failure can back that up.

It would be a real shame to see DTV run down yet further, as for DSA, such a shame it hasnt worked out for Sheffield airport wise but Doncaster cannot support an airport alone.

I wonder who would be prepared to buy into this loss maker? Even LPL, though a success, is not returning a profit and is reliant on two airlines. However ulikely it may be, if one collapses it would have a huge impact on LPL.

• Admin
[textarea]It’s never too late to talk over airport jobs dispute

Add a commentRecommend TODAY we reveal how baggage handlers at Liverpool’s John Lennon Airport are up in arms over proposed changes to their working condition that could see compulsory redundancies. And we don’t blame them one little bit for making their anger known.

But no matter how much the baggage handlers and their unions may justify it to themselves, there’s no excuse for taking their frustrations out on the public.

Travellers caught between the baggage handlers and their employers aren’t going to write politely to the companies involved and ask them to treat their employees a bit better when the going gets tough.

No, they’ll just grit their teeth, curse all things Liverpudlian and take their business somewhere else when next they decide to fly off on holiday.

Liverpool’s loss will be the gain of Manchester, Leeds/Bradford, Birmingham or any other provincial airport with good communications and decent parking.

This game of brinkmanship between unions and employers at JLA is hardly likely to benefit anyone. In truth, both sides know deep down how much damage is likely to be caused to Liverpool airport’s hard-won good name and reputation if the strike is allowed to go ahead. No-one, of course, wants to be seen as the one that blinked first.

But nothing is set in stone. In any dispute there is always the chance to negotiate right up to the eleventh hour. If necessary everyone can agree to differ, but at the same time agree that whatever happens, the planes will be allowed to get away.

That time has now come. We cannot believe that anyone really wants to cripple JLA’s operations at the height of the holiday season.

So start talking again. Now.

Source[/textarea]

• Admin
[textarea]Strike underway at Liverpool John Lennon airport

BAGGAGE handlers have gone on strike at Liverpool John Lennon airport today in a row over job losses.

About 150 staff walked out in the early hours of this morning after negotiations between the GMB union and employers Servisair failed to break the deadlock last night.

The union has been seeking assurances that no worker would face compulsory redundancy under the company's plans to shed 23 jobs.

Despite the strike, passengers are being told to turn up for their flights as normal.

A statement on the airport's website read: "Servisair has assured the Airport Company that their robust contingency plans now in place will ensure it is business as usual at the Airport.

"Those passengers travelling with airlines who do not use Servisair should be unaffected by any potential idustrial action (easyJet and Eastern Airways).

"Liverpool John Lennon Airport will endeavour to keep passengers informed regarding this situation, however, passengers are advised to check in for their flights as normal."

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/4554 ... n_airport/[/textarea]

The last thing they want to do is to cheese Ryanair off. We know what happens when they throw the teddy out don't we.

Hi Liverpool airports runway is currently closed. It has been reported elsewhere on the web that the incidect has involved a Ryanair.com Boeing 737-800 aircaft enroute from Liverpool to Morocco. The aircraft retruned to base 15 mins after departure due to a fire warning indicating that there was a fire onboard the aircaft. After landing safely the aircafts shuts where deloyed and the passengers where evacuated on the runway.

Here's the latest notam for Liverpool Airport.

Notam EG/C-0075/10 XYA9466
GG ENHBZEZN ENZZNESI
041616 EGGNYNYX
(C0075/10 NOTAMN
Q) EGTT/QMRLC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5320N00251W005
A) EGGP
B) 1001041605 C) 1001041705
E) RWY 09/27 CLOSED DUE DISABLED ACFT)

>>> END-OF-BULLETIN <<<

Press release now issued by Ryanair on there website as follows. http://www.ryanair.com/en/notices/gops/ ... -jan-10-GB

Flight FR4021 - Liverpool to Agadir

Flight FR4021 (4th Jan) from Liverpool to Agadir returned to Liverpool shortly after takeoff as a precaution when a fire indicator light was activated.

The aircraft, in keeping with safety procedures, returned to Liverpool and landed normally whereupon all passengers were disembarked via the safety slides and transferred to the terminal by coach.

Ryanair engineers have confirmed that there was no fire and a indicator light error is the suspected cause of this turnback. In order to minimise the delay for passengers Ryanair has arranged a spare aircraft to carry them onwards to Agadir. Ryanair apologises for any inconvenience, but the safety of our passengers and crew will always be the no. 1 priority.

Also looks like the airport has now been re-opened.

[textarea]Liverpool Airport stage river emergency exercise

An emergency exercise was staged at Liverpool Airport yesterday. It is a requirement by the Civil Aviation Authority for airports hold a full emergency exercise every two years. This time however, in conjunction with Liverpool City Council, Halton Borough Council and various emergency services in the area, the airport is taking the opportunity to test the procedures in place should an aircraft be forced to make an emergency landing on the River Mersey.

The exercise started at 10:30 and lasted for approximately two hours, using the UK’s first floating aircraft simulator that has been specifically built for the airport to test rescue procedures for aircraft forced to land on water. The multi-agency exercise also involved the RAF who used one of their Search and Rescue helicopters based at RAF Valley at Anglesey to assist with the simulated extrication and rescue of passengers on board an aircraft on the River Mersey.

Rescue crews from Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service, Merseyside Police, HM Coastguard, RNLI and the new NW Regional Ambulance Hazardous Area Response Teams (HART) also worked with the Airport’s own Fire and Rescue Service in dealing with this simulated incident. The airport was ‘business as usual’ throughout the exercise and no passengers or airlines were affected by the training taking place.

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Liverpool Airport boss leaves

Liverpool Airport director Andy Gower has left the company, the Daily Post reports. Craig Richmond, chief executive of airport owner Peel Airports, confirmed Mr Gower’s departure and said they hope to have a new director in place by September.

Mr Richmond, who replaced former chief executive Mark Whitworth when Vancouver Airport Services took a 65% stake in Peel Airports in July 2010, said: ‘Andy has left us, it was time for him to move on. It was purely his decision and we leave on amicable terms. I wish Andy all the best and it was good working with him.’

The news comes amid a background of pay disputes that unions claim threaten to close the airport during the busy summer holiday season. GMB workers employed by Peel Airports, ServisAir and Securitas have been seeking improved pay deals.

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Liverpool Airport security staff reject pay offer; could strike

Liverpool Airport security staff could strike after rejecting a pay offer from their employer Securitas, the Echo reports. The security staff narrowly voted against their firm’s pay deal with 66 against and 51 in favour. Security staff will now look to ballot over industrial action.

In a separate ballot Peel Airport employed staff accepted a pay deal by 44 votes to 40. The 84 workers include bird scaring, admin, car park and fire station staff. Peel Airports is believed to have offered a 1% rise for this year and a £200 lump sum bonus. The second year would see a 2% rise, from April, 2012, with a sliding scale bonus based on profits of a minimum of £200, from December, 2012.

Source[/textarea]

I do fear for Liverpool.

For years it succeeded on the back of MAN's refusal to accept the loco revolution. Now it MAN fully embraced LPL's 2 biggest airlines, its going to be very interesting to see what happens.

Easy already shrinking at LPL whilst MAN looks to be getting based unit 8, and Ryanair now based with 4 aircraft and even has their top man at the MAN table. With what is happening, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Ryanair base grow very, very quickly at MAN. No other airport outside DUB has a top RYR official based at it, and is cause for concern enough.

Personally, I see something quite radical happening to Northern aviation in the next 2-3 years.

I'm not so sure that it is such a big problem...

Neither airline is going to leave one of the airports because that's just like putting all your eggs in one basket and then when it breaks there may not be a return. I do agree though that Liverpool is very specific on what it has to offer. Thomson could never make their charters work from Liverpool and that sent them packing back to Manchester. EasyJet and Ryanair are the only real airlines at Liverpool and because they are both moving in next door as well it is a cause for concern to a certain extent.

Like I said though, neither easyJet nor Ryanair are going to leave Liverpool and move to Manchester or vice versa for the foreseeable future. What we can say, is that easyJet and Ryanair are both expanding rapidly at Manchester and as a result it is making Liverpool slightly worried.

Manchester definitely has more to offer in terms of range of routes, but like at any airport, one route will work better than the other at certain airports. What we do also see at Manchester is heavy competition from other rival airlines; Jet2, Thomas Cook, Thomson and Monarch all offering pretty much the same routes. We do also now see a lot of foreign airlines operating routes, so easyJet and Ryanair are a lot better situated at Liverpool than Manchester.

With all the pro's and con's balanced they are in prime position being at both airports. Manchester has a better potential for more routes, but heavy competition and Liverpool has a limited about of potential with no competition...

Some people could also argue that MAN is nearing full capacity, as there is only a limited number of stands, slots and personnel working at the airport.

I can quite obviously see both sides of the argument but, time will tell the real story.

Now where were we, oh yes.... Rumours at LBA...!

[textarea]Liverpool Airport doubles earnings

Liverpool Airport doubled its earnings in the year to March 2011, the Liverpool Daily Post reports. The airport experienced a 1.6% fall in passenger numbers in 2010 / 11, including the cancellation of 602 flights affecting 69,596 passengers, linked to the ash cloud.

The airport managed to double its EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) from £5m to £10.3m in the financial period. During the same period Peel Airports invested £10.5m in improvements to its facilities.

Passenger figures for 2011 also showed improvement to almost pre-downturn levels, with a 4.4% increase to 5.25m passengers last year against 5.38m in 2008. Within those figures easyJet recorded a 14% increase in passengers to a record 2.54m, while Flybe reported a 47% year-on-year increase to a record 175,000 passengers, although Ryanair saw its passengers fall by 4% to 2.25m.

Sister site Durham Tees Valley airport saw passengers fall by 11%, although Robin Hood added 10%. The group saw a pre-tax loss of £17m compared with pre- tax losses of £124m in 2009/10, although this included a £102m write-down on asset values.

For more information on this airport news story visit: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/ldp ... z1nUBCosp7[/textarea]

Few airlines

I hadn't realised how few airlines serve Liverpool, an airport that handles over five million passengers per year.

So far as I can ascertain only easyJet, Ryanair, Flybe and Wizz Air will operate after the end of this month after KLM Cityhopper pulls out, and Flybe has just one route (Isle of Man) and Wizz just four, and one of those (Vilnius) won't start for a few weeks.

I can't find any charter routes/airlines.

It seems very odd. Am I missing something?

Thomson used to base one aircraft there a few years back but I think they canned it with a few other bases along with LBA and DTV if I remember correctly.

Your absolutely right TheLocalYokel, that has puzzled me before as well!

I think the cheap fares that are offered by easyJet and Ryanair alone brings the flock to Liverpool, both inbound and outbound. There have been many times, when I have flown from Liverpool and I live along the Leeds/Bradford border in a village called Baildon, which is a good hour and a half - 2 hour drive, depending on how fast you drive ;)

I am fortunate, as I have relatives on the Wirral, so can stay over the night before, but the cost savings from flying from Liverpool can be a good £300 compared to travelling 10mins up the road to LBA and over the hill to MAN, so I suppose if you are willing to travel a little, and save a large chunk, many people will do it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock