Advertisement

Jet2.com

Sherburnflyer92

May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
Not anymore @louis_walton. Put the article in this put thought i would quote from the article:

"
But Mr Heapy was confident the operator would be expanding its routes even further, with discussions now under way about its 2020 programme across the UK where it operates from nine different airports.

"It's one of our big bases with a massive catchment area and, if we are going to try new routes, Birmingham Airport is one of the key places we would try that from," he said
BHX/STN allow the airline, alongside MAN, to become more daring in what they offer and venture into markets they would of otherwise avoided..

Advertisement

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Thread starter Moderator #1,082
Amristar and Delhi would be nice. And Mumbai.
Don't write AI off.......yet.

The more news coming soon is intriguing.

Where will they end up?
Very interesting.

Greece could be Lefkas, Santorini, or Mykonos? I suppose that could depend on getting enough bed space for the Holiday business. Can a 738 do Cape Verde a it's getting more popular? If Bulgaria is selling well then maybe Varna? Would they take on TUi and go direct into Montenegro?

Lisbon would be great but it's a very constrained airport which may prove difficult, Porto may be an option. Valencia and Seville could be cracking city break destinations as would a regular Reykjavik.

Sherburnflyer92

May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
All 3 Greek! And let’s not forget Skiathos?

Cape Verde won’t be served, RIU dominated, TUI dominated so much TC withdrew.

Varna, Bulgaria maybe. Would imagine they would want to give it 2/3 years bending in before adding another. They added AYT only 4 years ago, after years of serving DLM & BJV.

Good additions for Spanish network. KEF wouldn’t be year round - probably OCT to APR!

thunderchild

Platinum Member
Aug 29, 2013
Lichfield
There were rumours of Gibraltar a while back? All the traditional bucket and spade routes are well covered now so if Jet2 are going to be entering new markets I should think they’ll be thinking more outside the box - Porto Santo? Morocco? I could see Bergamo as a nice compliment to the Italian portfolio too.

louis_walton

Oct 10, 2018
Farsley
Chania, Izmir and Bourgas were both announced later on so they will definitely have something to come (as stated in the press release), however the guessing game is what will it be. I think it will be something unexpected maybe heading towards Morocco or Turkey as those holidays are becoming more and more popular. Maybe a reintroduction to Tunisia.

Ianbutty

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2016
Essex
I think they will play this very smart indeed. BHX has lost a lot recently. But the reasons were not always due to loads. If they focus on what we have lost and offer the Jet2 price and experience they will stamp out any attempt for other airlines to come back in and hold firm against other airports. I get the vibes that Brum will be the base. I hope they do that.

Exciting.

Seasider

Premium Member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 16, 2009
East Coast
We've not even start S19 yet and I'm already itching to book something for 2020 :)
That's what the Tour Companies want you to do, get the deposits over 12 months before you have to pay anything out. Problem is, if they have a "bad" year they may not have the money next year to provide the holiday.

Apr 18, 2013
Hi there Ray and all, now birmingham has no direct flights or links to the USA anymore, why don't the likes of locost airline jet2 try a pilot of test flights to jfk over a period of 3 months from Birmingham airport to see what the demand and uptake would be, then they would have some idea of they could make a nice business out of it, all they have to do is lease a few aircrafts that can reach the distance and take it from there.... AndyC

Brum X

Premium Member Plus
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
Hi there Ray and all, now birmingham has no direct flights or links to the USA anymore, why don't the likes of locost airline jet2 try a pilot of test flights to jfk over a period of 3 months from Birmingham airport to see what the demand and uptake would be, then they would have some idea of they could make a nice business out of it, all they have to do is lease a few aircrafts that can reach the distance and take it from there.... AndyC
If only it was that simple Andy. It would have to take a major change in Jet2 operations for that to happen, they simply do not operate to that model at the moment as they are focused on short haul leisure and city breaks. We could say the same about Ryanair and why wouldnt they try JFK/EWR on the new 737 max when they sort the problem out with this aircraft. The simple fact is Ryanair dont do long haul and neither does Jet2 apart from a few chrsitmas shopping trips to new york.

Maybe one day Jet2 will shift over to Long haul like Thomas Cook did a few years ago, however I dont think its a Jet2 plan at the moment. :unsure:

Sherburnflyer92

May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
And if they were ever to go long haul **KEY WORDS EVER TO GO** it would follow the same model as TUI, maybe a bit hybrid of TCX (LAS would be served no-doubt, they would also probably do charters in the off peak period) and VS but mostly TUI. Long haul would feed Jet2holidays growth.

Coathanger16

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2016
Solihull
And if they were ever to go long haul **KEY WORDS EVER TO GO** it would follow the same model as TUI, maybe a bit hybrid of TCX (LAS would be served no-doubt, they would also probably do charters in the off peak period) and VS but mostly TUI. Long haul would feed Jet2holidays growth.
We do have Jet2 City Breaks however so that could also be expanded to long haul :unsure:

If Jet2 do go long haul, IF being the key work, I don't think it will be for a while yet.

Ianbutty

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2016
Essex
We do have Jet2 City Breaks however so that could also be expanded to long haul :unsure:

If Jet2 do go long haul, IF being the key work, I don't think it will be for a while yet.
I think Jet2 could pull long haul off even in the short term. Success breeds a strong following and loyalty. I think if they started at BHX they would do rather well and compliment the TATL routes from LHR and MAN with a new product.

But sort out Lisbon and B2B first.

IanFarquharson

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2015
Balsall Common
bhxmovements.blogspot.co.uk
I think Jet2 could pull long haul off even in the short term. Success breeds a strong following and loyalty. I think if they started at BHX they would do rather well and compliment the TATL routes from LHR and MAN with a new product.

But sort out Lisbon and B2B first.
Lisbon wont happen anytime soon !
One new route ex BHX is likely but not to Portugal

Mar 18, 2019
Birmingham
Lisbon wont happen anytime soon !
One new route ex BHX is likely but not to Portugal
Hi there, I’ve just joined this forum after months of observing! I’m really curious as to why BHX can’t get the Lisbon route back.. Me and my partner go 2/3 times a year and Monarch was always full. Why wouldn’t TAP consider it? At the moment I have to use Luton as Manchester is vile to fly from

Brum X

Premium Member Plus
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
Hi there, I’ve just joined this forum after months of observing! I’m really curious as to why BHX can’t get the Lisbon route back.. Me and my partner go 2/3 times a year and Monarch was always full. Why wouldn’t TAP consider it? At the moment I have to use Luton as Manchester is vile to fly from
Welcome to the forum Angie88, great to have you on board (y)

Matt995

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2015
Royal Leamington Spa
Welcome to the forum Angie, regarding TAP, could be lots of reasons, no available slots at Lisbon, because they fly from Manchester they don't want a Birmingham service to effect the passenger numbers on those flights, Birmingham might be too expensive to fly from, or their flights tickets are more expensive than a low cost airline like Monarch was, so they don't see a market for expensive Birmingham flights tickets when passenger can fly from Luton/Bristol/Manchester etc on Easyjet at a quarter of the cost.... Tough World in Aviation!!

Advertisement

Top Bottom