Advertisement

Random Stuff!!

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #301
I can't wait to see the look on my girlfriends face when I suggest we go and see it! LOL

Advertisement

Will it just revert to a free version then?

I did used to enjoy WAF and WAN before it. Shame WAF was ruined by the brexit man on a mission to destroy the discussions.
WAN was set up by a man on a mission who eventually I discovered had an agenda against the airport. WAF was then set up by some admins from WAN who broke away to continue with the ambition of promoting aviation in Wales.

After attending several meetings, airport events and countless letters etc it certainly seems that we did our best to assist the airport through the hard times.

Don't get me wrong, it has not been easy with airport making complaints to my employers at the time however they eventually understood what our aims were and even though sometimes we weren't doing what they wanted and saying what they wanted to hear.

I believe the information that was once held from the news feed, to the CAA stats and information of the various airfields were decent, however as I was only doing the updates it became very time consuming. In fact it was like having a 2nd full time job.

The other implications of course was cost, and WAF never asked for a penny from anyone even when we were posting leaflets through peoples doors promoting Vueling in my local area. In fact I think I funded everything including the costs of the website.

As I no longer have the time I used to with a new job meaning I am either in work or frequently on call. I have made the decision to withdraw the content I no longer have the time to update.

The forum itself I have let to run. People who want to continue to discuss in it are free to do so however quite frankly I no longer have the time to even moderate it anymore unless I am highlighted to issues.

As you now know I frequent this forum regularly and the reason being I know some of the contributors that I once enjoyed reading their posts on WAF are actually here and the idiots haven't seem to have found this gem.

When the next renewal is due, I will not renew the subscription which I believe is January 2019. I will enter a discussion with the owners of this site closer to the end date to see if they wish me to post a link to this forum on WAF. On the other hand I don't want to bring the idiots on here.

Forums4Airports is a great forum and is the only one I look at these days and if they deemed it necessary I would offer my services as a moderator to the creators on here.

If anybody want's to know anything or discuss it further then please inbox me. Enough WAF talk on here let's concentrate on F4A however I just wanted to explain the situation.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Thread starter Admin #303
WAN was set up by a man on a mission who eventually I discovered had an agenda against the airport. WAF was then set up by some admins from WAN who broke away to continue with the ambition of promoting aviation in Wales.

After attending several meetings, airport events and countless letters etc it certainly seems that we did our best to assist the airport through the hard times.

Don't get me wrong, it has not been easy with airport making complaints to my employers at the time however they eventually understood what our aims were and even though sometimes we weren't doing what they wanted and saying what they wanted to hear.

I believe the information that was once held from the news feed, to the CAA stats and information of the various airfields were decent, however as I was only doing the updates it became very time consuming. In fact it was like having a 2nd full time job.

The other implications of course was cost, and WAF never asked for a penny from anyone even when we were posting leaflets through peoples doors promoting Vueling in my local area. In fact I think I funded everything including the costs of the website.

As I no longer have the time I used to with a new job meaning I am either in work or frequently on call. I have made the decision to withdraw the content I no longer have the time to update.

The forum itself I have let to run. People who want to continue to discuss in it are free to do so however quite frankly I no longer have the time to even moderate it anymore unless I am highlighted to issues.

As you now know I frequent this forum regularly and the reason being I know some of the contributors that I once enjoyed reading their posts on WAF are actually here and the idiots haven't seem to have found this gem.

When the next renewal is due, I will not renew the subscription which I believe is January 2019. I will enter a discussion with the owners of this site closer to the end date to see if they wish me to post a link to this forum on WAF. On the other hand I don't want to bring the idiots on here.

Forums4Airports is a great forum and is the only one I look at these days and if they deemed it necessary I would offer my services as a moderator to the creators on here.

If anybody want's to know anything or discuss it further then please inbox me. Enough WAF talk on here let's concentrate on F4A however I just wanted to explain the situation.
Thank you mathers for those comments about F4A. As you know I used to post to WAF and before that to WAN (PP once tried to get me to run a West Country version of WAN for him but I declined) and I was well aware of the time, effort and money you and others put into WAF. Do you know what happened to Clive for whom I had a great deal of respect although I never met him personally?

Thank you mathers for those comments about F4A. As you know I used to post to WAF and before that to WAN (PP once tried to get me to run a West Country version of WAN for him but I declined) and I was well aware of the time, effort and money you and others put into WAF. Do you know what happened to Clive for whom I had a great deal of respect although I never met him personally?
Of course you are one of the posters I used to enjoy to read. It would have been good to have met you in person.

Clive is still very much live and kicking however I longer have my weekly hour chat with him as I drive home from work. He very much is now enjoying his love of fishing and making the most time with his daughter and grandson.

I do see him post from time to time on social media.

Clive was brilliant, he used to know the right people to wind up to generate a reaction. He would highlight how politicians would not use Cardiff Airport for their trade missions. He was told to not go on about it, then month later he was told it was working and people within Government was being concerned.

The Highlight was when Patrick Duffy laughed at him in front of the ACC meeting when he said that the airport needs to go out and engage with the travel trade & needed to promote the routes on offer. He was told that airlines \operators elected to pay less in fees and therefore marketing was not included.

Needless to say within a month the first Thirsty Thursday event was born where travel agents were invited to engage with regional managers of airlines/operators providing services from Cardiff Airport. Now Cardiff Airport employ a team to market and engage with travel agents on a daily basis to shout out about the routes on offer.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Thread starter Admin #305
Many thanks for that mathers. I'm delighted to learn that Clive is still in top form. If you do contact him in any way please give him my best wishes.

I have no doubt that the present resurgence of CWL owes a lot to the efforts of those who set up WAF by their persistent pushing the airport and government to up both their games, as well as doing the airport's promotional work for it at times - unpaid and in their/your own time. I sometimes wonder what influence WAF had on the First Minister when the decision was taken to purchase the airport by the government.

It is hard to tell what influence if any we had.

We certainly lobbied for the politicians to use Cardiff Airport to travel on their trade missions.

Then every politician in Wales was kept up to date with our news, many of which were fully aware of Wales Air Forum.

We did manage meetings with several politicians however the only ones that truly wanted the airport to thrive was Eluned Parrott of Plaid Cymru and Byron Davies of the Conservatives.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Thread starter Admin #307
It is hard to tell what influence if any we had.

We certainly lobbied for the politicians to use Cardiff Airport to travel on their trade missions.

Then every politician in Wales was kept up to date with our news, many of which were fully aware of Wales Air Forum.

We did manage meetings with several politicians however the only ones that truly wanted the airport to thrive was Eluned Parrott of Plaid Cymru and Byron Davies of the Conservatives.
I think you might be under selling yourself with this. I suspect strongly that many politicians and others including senior business people in the country had their eyes opened by WAF to CWL's possibilities. The ailing airport that WAF 'inherited' is going from strength to strength and many of WAF's aims for it have already been achieved with much more to come.

WAF might have played a part in 'shaming' the WG to do something instead of moaning about the place as the FM did publicly.

Darby

Feb 20, 2018
south Wales
I think you might be under selling yourself with this. I suspect strongly that many politicians and others including senior business people in the country had their eyes opened by WAF to CWL's possibilities. The ailing airport that WAF 'inherited' is going from strength to strength and many of WAF's aims for it have already been achieved with much more to come.

WAF might have played a part in 'shaming' the WG to do something instead of moaning about the place as the FM did publicly.
Hear hear.

Brum X

Premium Member Plus
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
WOWZA

Is it London, Is it Birmingham, Is it Manchester.

Noooooooo its Cardiff, The capital of Wales (y)

So much going on in Cardiff guys, ive been nosey and i think you need to start your own Cardiff development thread to rival the other cities.

superking

Feb 14, 2013
Cardiff and Wales on the map again today.The tour de France has been won by a Welsh guy.This is the first time its been won by a Welshman.The guys name is Geraint Thomas and I expect we will hear a lot more with this guy in the future.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Thread starter Admin #314
I seem to remember that some of the flights were also joint with Gatwick.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2008/aug/28/zoom.low.cost.airline

https://airlinegeeks.com/2016/04/06/tbt-throwback-thursday-in-aviation-history-zoom-airlines/

People sometimes question the Canada market, especially Toronto, on aviation message boards, citing the time up to about 20 years ago when most UK regional airports of any size seemed to have Toronto links. They question why that is not the case now. The most common answer seems to be demographic. In those days there were lots of VFR visits but as people have grown older and in many cases died that market has shrunk. I don't know if that's the main reason but airlines know what they are doing in the main and would be operating the sort of UK network seen in the past if there was a viable market.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #315
I don't know if that's the main reason but airlines know what they are doing in the main and would be operating the sort of UK network seen in the past if there was a viable market.
Also i think transport link's may have something to do with it. It's a lot more easier now for people from areas like South Wales to get to airports like Heathrow and Gatwick and Manchester with better, faster and more frequent train services and better road links than before. Also many of those airlines before might not have been able to get access to the likes of Heathrow before the days of Open skies so had to operate from the regions. Unfortunately these days it seems airlines like Westjet and Air Canada don't seem to be interested in the smaller airports and i doubt now that smaller aircraft like the MAX will change that.

Foxlimayankee

Jan 21, 2017
South
Zoom were a great Airline. I think at their peak it was;
YYZ - 1 weekly 767 shared with LGW and 1 weekly 757 solely for CWL. There may have even been a 3rd weekly flight or maybe plans for one before they went bust.
YVR - 1 weekly 767 shared with BFS

They also had a Zoom UK setup in LGW operating to Canada, New York, Thailand, Bermuda and possibly Orlando/Miami too.
It does make you think what they couldve grown to in CWL if they were still around now. They were born at the wrong time and couldn't survive the economic situation and high fuel costs at the time

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Thread starter Admin #319
Well it looks like at least one part of the Easyjet brand is interested in Cardiff! Easyhotel will be opening a 120 room hotel in Fitzalan place in Cardiff on the vacant Cromwell House site. The hotel is set to open 2019/20.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/busin...com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wales_main
As you point out, it's the 'easy' brand and nothing to do with easyJet.

easyGroup Holdings Ltd is a company owned by Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou whose primary function is to license and control the 'easy' brand name of which he holds the title. In this way there is easyBus, easyCar, easyPizza, easyOffice, easyGym and many others.

easyHotel is a chain that owns some of the hotels and franchises others.

easyJet is a separate company that uses the 'easy' name under licence from easyGroup although Sir Stelios is still a major shareholder of easyJet.

Advertisement

Top Bottom