The project, for which a final cost has not yet been finalised, has a £738m budget ring fenced in the £1.2bn City Deal for the Cardiff Capital Region.

Is this money from the UK government in addition to the block grant?
It's from the city deal.

It's from the city deal.
I wanted to confirm the source of the funding. I believe it's partly WG and partly Westminster but I might be wrong.

These city deals sound great initiatives. I believe that Swansea Bay has something similar.

I'm very envious. I can't understand why something similar can't be done this side of the Severn. All we have is a West of England Combined Authority with its own mayor which sits alongside the local authorities and there seems overlap and confusion as to responsibilities. Bristol has three mayors: the elected city mayor and elected regional mayor plus the ceremonial lord mayor. No wonder many people are confused.
The Combined Authroty has a budget of one billion pounds but the snag is it's spread over 30 years with around £30 million a year.

There is a very modest Metro West proposal (compared with the one planned for the Cardiff region) but funding is turned down each time it's applied for. That clown Grayling said that when electrification was withdrawn from the Bristol area the money would be spent instead on local rail projects of which Metro West is by far ther main one. No-one believed him and they were right not to.

Cardiff and Swansea have done extremely well to get these deals. As they say around here, fair play to them.

I believe the city deals are meant to encoroge investment from the private sector by government starting the trend. As Bristol is seen as being quite wealthy (one of the highest outside of London) this is probely why Cardiff and Swansea have seen the money. I think I read some of the lowest wages in the uk are in South Wales. Hopefully the new metro and the m4 relief road happen as South Wales hasn’t seen any significant invesment in its transport for some time.

I believe the city deals are meant to encoroge investment from the private sector by government starting the trend. As Bristol is seen as being quite wealthy (one of the highest outside of London) this is probely why Cardiff and Swansea have seen the money. I think I read some of the lowest wages in the uk are in South Wales. Hopefully the new metro and the m4 relief road happen as South Wales hasn’t seen any significant invesment in its transport for some time.

Not the thread to discuss Bristol in any detail. I've touched on Bristol's economic situation in the past in the Bristol Airport Random thread. I'll probably re-visit the topic there in the near future.

Incidentally, I'm certainly not saying or implying that the Cardiff and Swansea regions should not have the money. I was seeking clarity on the breakdown of the investment funding.

I hope the Metro funding is not delayed as most UK cities of any size need vastly improved transport infrastructure, as does the UK as a country.

I also think that the north of Wales will get a deal as well.
With the Cardiff deal one of the big beneficiaries will be the South Wales valleys with line electrification and more rolling stock. Often hear stories that people are left on the platforms because the trains are full. So fingers crossed Brexit if it does go ahead won't mess it up.

I also think that the north of Wales will get a deal as well.
With the Cardiff deal one of the big beneficiaries will be the South Wales valleys with line electrification and more rolling stock. Often hear stories that people are left on the platforms because the trains are full. So fingers crossed Brexit if it does go ahead won't mess it up.
I hadn't realised that the electrification of the Valleys lines was going ahead. I thought that Westminster had vetoed it if they had to pay as they've done with the main line to Swansea. It will be interesting to see if the Valleys electrification can be brought in on budget and on time, unlike the GWR main line.

I hadn't realised that the electrification of the Valleys lines was going ahead. I thought that Westminster had vetoed it if they had to pay as they've done with the main line to Swansea. It will be interesting to see if the Valleys electrification can be brought in on budget and on time, unlike the GWR main line.
Most of the Valley lines will be electrified but on the non electrified parts the trains will run on battery.

Jerry you will like this flight. This morning a franchise partner of BA on a flight from LCY to DUS ended up in EDI.. The flight crew were given the wrong flight plan. I thought of you straight away with this one. Great value for money.

Jerry you will like this flight. This morning a franchise partner of BA on a flight from LCY to DUS ended up in EDI.. The flight crew were given the wrong flight plan. I thought of you straight away with this one. Great value for money.
Yep I saw that! Funny from our point of view but I doubt the passengers were amused when they heard the words welcome to Edinburgh!

About 25 years ago my wife and I flew from Bristol to Paphos one winter. The aircraft was an Air 2000, later First Choice Airways, Boeing 757-200. It operated BHX-BRS-PFO.

On the return flight the senior cabin staff member greeted us on board over the pa telling us that the aircraft would be flying to Birmingham then Bristol. There was an audible groan from half the plane because the timings suggested PFO-BRS-BHX and the aircraft had originated at BHX. A couple of minutes later she came back on the pa to apologise and confirm it would be Bristol then Birmingham. That brought a groan from the other half of the plane.

We hoped the flight deck crew knew where they were going first.

Manchester United will be playing a pre season friendly against AC Milan in August at the Principality stadium.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...tm_medium=social&utm_campaign=group_walesmain

Cardiff City Stadium, why not make the most of it and offer Principality Stadium.

Used to do a great job of the Heineken Cup Final
Because around the time of the final the Principality is usually holding something like a concert or an event like the Monster truck show and the reality is that those types of events earn more money for the WRU than a rugby event. With the Pro14 final as well the host stadium has to pay the Pro14 in advance i believe. Also unless there is a welsh side in it there is no guarentee of fillling the stadium.

If there is a Welsh side in it then there is little benefit to the airport. You would want 2 x non mainland UK teams to take the full advantage.
The likelihood is that there would be at least one Irish team in it at least and that team would most likely be Leinster so there would be a boost of a couple of thousand people at least.

Yesterday i used the National Express bus to get back from Heathrow. The bus arrived on stand at 14.10 in Heathrow but didn't leave until 14.40 and arrived at Sophia gardens station in Cardiff at 19.10 after stopping at Bristol, Newport and Cardiff University. Although not exactly a quick way to get back to south wales it was cheap £18. Interesting note was that at least half the people who got on at Heathrow got off at Bristol and there were quite a few left on the bus from Heathrow who were heading further west (the bus ends in Swansea) when i got off at Cardiff so there journey would've much longer. Was a good comfortable journey back but does make me realise how convenient Cardiff airport is!

Yesterday i used the National Express bus to get back from Heathrow. The bus arrived on stand at 14.10 in Heathrow but didn't leave until 14.40 and arrived at Sophia gardens station in Cardiff at 19.10 after stopping at Bristol, Newport and Cardiff University. Although not exactly a quick way to get back to south wales it was cheap £18. Interesting note was that at least half the people who got on at Heathrow got off at Bristol and there were quite a few left on the bus from Heathrow who were heading further west (the bus ends in Swansea) when i got off at Cardiff so there journey would've much longer. Was a good comfortable journey back but does make me realise how convenient Cardiff airport is!

That's certainly a trek. Is that the 201/202 service? Are there any National Express services from Cardiff to Heathrow that don't call at the likes of Newport and Bristol en route?

Service 40 runs a couple of times an hour for much of the day between Bristol and central London but I don't think it calls at Heathrow. I don't think that Megabus calls at Heathrow either.

Heathrow is much more easily 'doable' from the Bristol area because it's that much closer. I got there in 1 hour 40 minutes by car from south-east Bristol last autumn and that's usually the time it takes to reach the area of Heathrow when I'm travelling by car into London itself, unless there is a serious motorway blockage for any reason.

This means that CWL is not affected so much by LHR's presence as BRS and this was one of the reasons given by the Qatar CEO when he opted for CWL. The other side of the coin is that CWL and any partner airline has to work very hard to attract travellers from the Bristol area most of whom view LHR as a realistic option with much more choice, especially when it comes to long haul travel.

That's certainly a trek. Is that the 201/202 service? Are there any National Express services from Cardiff to Heathrow that don't call at the likes of Newport and Bristol en route?
202. From what I saw no there wasn't. There was a Megabus one that was Bristol, Newport and Cardiff but no direct Cardiff one I believe.
If I remember correctly Bristol took 2 and a quarter hour's roughly and that was with traffic.
I do think that unless it's packages for people booking there own flight only CWL is much less of a consideration for people especially long haul. I'd be surprised if people even look at CWL from the whole Bristol area.

202. From what I saw no there wasn't. There was a Megabus one that was Bristol, Newport and Cardiff but no direct Cardiff one I believe.
If I remember correctly Bristol took 2 and a quarter hour's roughly and that was with traffic.
I do think that unless it's packages for people booking there own flight only CWL is much less of a consideration for people especially long haul. I'd be surprised if people even look at CWL from the whole Bristol area.
Some people from the Bristol area undoubtedly use CWL on various routes from there - for a variety of reasons - but whether the Qatar service is used by them to the degree that the airline's CEO seemed to envisage must be more questionable.

The snag, and I think it would apply in many ways if BRS had a ME or NYC service, is the great variety of long haul flights available at LHR.

As you discovered, road public transport from Cardiff to Heathrow isn't great in terms of time and stops en route - it must add at least 30 minutes coming off the M4 and down the M32 into the middle of Bristol and loading/unloading at the bus station there before retracing steps back to the M4.

There is no direct rail route into LHR from South Wales, or from the West Country for that matter - I don't know what happened to the much-discussed Heathrow spur a few years ago. The problem with that would be that trains coming from South Wales/West of England would doubtless be the high-speed expresses heading for Paddington, and to add 10-15 minutes to go in and out of LHR would negate the improvements brought about by electrification from South Wales and would not go down well with the many rail travellers whose final destination is London itself. The aternative would be to transfer to airport shuttle trains either at Reading or at a station further east. That's not great either.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock