North York Moors Railway & Whitby

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
  • Admin
Up at 05:15 early start giving us enough time to get the family up and have some breakfast. We set off on the road at 06:50. Checking Google maps and it said if we waited until 07:15 our journey time would increase substantially because of the rush hour so we didn't want to waste any time.

We took the A6110 Leeds Ring Road to the A64 at Seacroft. The traffic was good and better than expected so the setting off a little earlier seem to pay off. The A64 was free flowing so we made good progress to the A169 to Pickering.

We made Pickering in good time and we managed to find the Railway Station and the parking area in good time without any todo. The total journey time on the way from North West Leeds was 1 hour 30 minutes.

Pickering Railway Station

Station Clock, Pickering Railway Station​

Having arrived in good time we decided to refuel at the station cafe where we had coffee and a bacon and egg sandwich. Soon enough it was time to board the train for an on-time departure at 09:30. Our outbound train to Whitby was a diesel.

Shame about the station clock not working!

We left Pickering slowly passing various old relics of the railways meandering into the countryside.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway

North Yorkshire Moors Railway.​

Although living in Yorkshire all my life it was the first time I'd seen the North Yorkshire Moors in all it's spender. In the past, trips to Whitby have been across the moors past the RAF Fylingdales military look out station not really taking in the scenery. The scenery was somewhat different to what I imagined which was similar to the Yorkshire Dales. The North Yorkshire Moors was cross between the Yorkshire Dales and the Highlands of Scotland with the rolling hills of the Yorkshire Dales with the Pine Forests of the Highlands with pine saplings growing in many areas close to the edge of the track.

To be continued...​

Advertisement

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Brilliant pictures and evocative text. Thank you so much. It brought back happy memories of our trip on this super railway from Pickering to Whitby and back a couple of years ago. I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
  • Admin
Crikey, I can't believe I never finished this trip report.

We eventually made it into Whitby after a beautiful journey meandering through the North Yorkshire Moors. Whitby Railway Station is set in the valley to the North West of the River Esk.

The weather was warm and sunny on arrival, perfect for the day trip and perfect for a visit to the beach with the kids and the grand parents who came along with us. The beach is situated to the North of the harbour. It has good access and reasonable amenities selling the usual seaside food and drinks.

View towards Whitby Abbey

Whitby Habour

Whitby Habour

There were a few return journey times to choose from, we opted for the second to last to make sure we weren't too late with the return car journey home from Pickering. We managed to get a couple of hours on the beach before heading across Bridge Street to the main shopping area which is full of the usual fish & chip and gift shops. After a bite to eat we headed back to the station to await our journey home.

There are a number of attractions that we didn't cover on the day. Whitby Abbey is a short walk up the hill to the South East of the town 199 steps apparently. There is also a Captain Cook Memorial Museum and a RNLI Museum. There are numerous other things to do such as boat trips, whale watching trips and the Dracula Experience.

The return trip was on a diesel train perhaps one of our train boffins will know the type?

North York Moors railway.

All in all a great trip and one I'd love to make again.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Glad you had a good time. It's a pity you didn't get to go up to the Abbey it's a fascinating place and has some great views. Whitby is a lovely place. Definitely somewhere I'd return to and visit again.

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
You were a little unlucky not to get a steam locomotive Aviador for your trip but it is a trip well worth making either by steam or diesel. Last time I used the service with my nephew the line ended at Grosmont. The final link to Whitby was added later. Your photograph of the engine isn't sufficiently clear to identify which one it is (and I'm no expert anyway) but this link https://www.nymr.co.uk/Pages/Category/diesel-locos may help you to identify the loco concerned.

D

Deleted member 8862

The diesel is a Deltic (class 55), formerly used on the east coast main line, Kings X - York - Newcastle - Edinburgh.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Glad you had a good time. It's a pity you didn't get to go up to the Abbey it's a fascinating place and has some great views. Whitby is a lovely place. Definitely somewhere I'd return to and visit again.
I agree. It's a fascinating town. We went up to the Abbey too.

Did you see the Sentinel steam-powered bus at Whitby? It was operating when we were there. Having browsed the net for a picture (see below link) I've discovered that this bus will now be operating just down the road from me at Weston-super-Mare.

http://www.crosvillemotorservices.co.uk/enthusiasts/steam-bus.php

As for the diesel locomotive that hauled your train, Aviador it seems it was this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rolling_stock_preserved_on_the_North_Yorkshire_Moors_Railway#/media/File:Class_55_no._55022_at_Grosmont,_18.09.2009.jpg

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
  • Admin
You were a little unlucky not to get a steam locomotive Aviador for your trip but it is a trip well worth making either by steam or diesel. Last time I used the service with my nephew the line ended at Grosmont. The final link to Whitby was added later. Your photograph of the engine isn't sufficiently clear to identify which one it is (and I'm no expert anyway) but this link https://www.nymr.co.uk/Pages/Category/diesel-locos may help you to identify the loco concerned.
We actually got the steam locomotive on the outbound to Whitby, we only had the diesel on the return but I was happy with that anyway. I remember having a Hornby train just like it when I was a lad.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I agree. It's a fascinating town. We went up to the Abbey too.

Did you see the Sentinel steam-powered bus at Whitby? It was operating when we were there. Having browsed the net for a picture (see below link) I've discovered that this bus will now be operating just down the road from me at Weston-super-Mare.

http://www.crosvillemotorservices.co.uk/enthusiasts/steam-bus.php

As for the diesel locomotive that hauled your train, Aviador it seems it was this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rolling_stock_preserved_on_the_North_Yorkshire_Moors_Railway#/media/File:Class_55_no._55022_at_Grosmont,_18.09.2009.jpg
No pretty sure i missed that.

Carl0927

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2016
Cheshire
Crikey, I can't believe I never finished this trip report.

We eventually made it into Whitby after a beautiful journey meandering through the North Yorkshire Moors. Whitby Railway Station is set in the valley to the North West of the River Esk.

The weather was warm and sunny on arrival, perfect for the day trip and perfect for a visit to the beach with the kids and the grand parents who came along with us. The beach is situated to the North of the harbour. It has good access and reasonable amenities selling the usual seaside food and drinks.

View towards Whitby Abbey

Whitby Habour

Whitby Habour

There were a few return journey times to choose from, we opted for the second to last to make sure we weren't too late with the return car journey home from Pickering. We managed to get a couple of hours on the beach before heading across Bridge Street to the main shopping area which is full of the usual fish & chip and gift shops. After a bite to eat we headed back to the station to await our journey home.

There are a number of attractions that we didn't cover on the day. Whitby Abbey is a short walk up the hill to the South East of the town 199 steps apparently. There is also a Captain Cook Memorial Museum and a RNLI Museum. There are numerous other things to do such as boat trips, whale watching trips and the Dracula Experience.

The return trip was on a diesel train perhaps one of our train boffins will know the type?

North York Moors railway.

All in all a great trip and one I'd love to make again.

Is that a Deltic ? Oh I think its been confirmed it was, so I believe they were a very powerful engine but I'm not sure I really remember them. Looks a nice line to do, I've not been, but I have been on the Llangollen railway which is lovely. Although there is steam on it, we came back on an old DMU, I loved that , for 50p more you sat in very comfy seats in a first class section behind the driver with a forward view of the line. Great : -)

Last edited:

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
I've not been on the Llangollen railway so I can't compare but I shall have a look.

Advertisement

Top Bottom