Brum X

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
United-Kingdom
As i will be shortly going to Gran Canaria on my holiday, its time to have an LPA thead in preparation for my trip and report/photo's :)

Gran Canaria Airport (IATA: LPA, ICAO: GCLP), (sometimes also known as Gando Airport or Las Palmas Airport), (Spanish: Aeropuerto de Gran Canaria) is a passenger and freight airport on the island of Gran Canaria. It is an important airport within the Spanish air-transport network (owned and managed by a public enterprise, AENA), as it holds the fifth position in terms both of passengers and cargo transported, and fourth in terms of operations. It is also ranks first of theCanary Islands in all three categories, although the island of Tenerife has higher passenger numbers overall due to the two airports located on the island.

1024px-SP-GC-Flughafen-Abflugebene.JPG

By User: Bgabel at wikivoyage shared, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=22958170

The airport is located in the eastern part of Gran Canaria on the Bay of Gando (Bahía de Gando), 19 km (12 mi) south[3]of center of the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, and 25 km (16 mi) from the popular tourist areas in the south. In 2014 it handled over 10.3 million passengers, ranking as the 5th Spanish airport by passenger transit and the 1st airport by visitors in the Canary Islands.[4] Gran Canaria Airport remains as a relevant connecting airport for passengers travelling to West Africa (Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Senegal, Cape Verde, among others), and to the Atlantic Isles of Madeira and the Azores. It is the operative base for Binter Canarias, NAYSA, Canaryfly, Ryanair, Norwegian Air Shuttle and Vueling Airlines. Other airlines operate a base for connecting charter flights to Cape Verde and Gambia (TUIfly and TUIfly Nordic), only in winter season.
GranCanariaAirport.jpg

By Janayte - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=39196210

Last edited by a moderator:
BrumX Travel Report Las Palmas Airport and my return flight back to BHX on Norweigan Thursday 8th September 2016.

Well after my 3 hour 40 mins flight from BHX, i arrived at the gate at LPA. I also left the aircraft via a jetbridge.

And headed to the baggage reclaim area which has 9 carousels and plenty of space, i waited approx 15 mins for my luggage. (y)

I had booked a private transfer and the guy was waiting for me as i came out of the door. Off i went down to Maspalomas to enjoy my holiday. :joyful:

A week goes fast and it was soon time to head back to LPA and my return flight back to good old blighty. My flight time was fantastic as it meant that i could have breakfast and head straight over to the airport, which i arrived at approx 09.45am for my 12.10pm flight.

My flight is on time and i head over to the Norweigan Check in area to check in, there was also another Norweigan flight going to Copenhagen. Oh dear the Thomas Cook flight to Bristol is delayed 2 hours. As with most Spanish Airports, there were plenty of check in desks open and available.

Main concourse feels big, air conditioned and lots of natural light with high ceilings.

And there are a few shops and eating places landside before security.

I then headed to security and go through to the Departure Lounge.
This again was very organised with plenty of those plastic boxes for your belongings.

I then enter the World Duty Free, very similar to the one at BHX.
I purchased 2 boxes of spanish chocolates for my work and got a colleague at work a Gran Canaria Fridge magnet which she asked for, how kind am i ??

I then went through to the departure lounge and again it was very clean with plenty of seating with views across the main apron. Since my last visit to LPA 2 years ago, they have built an extension which includes a moving walkway.

I later find out that this will be my Norweigan 738 that will take me home, she is having a sleep at the moment.

I grab a coffee and head straight up onto the roof top terrace, why oh why do British airports not have facilities like this. It is superb and even includes a bar and restaurant. The only problem is that there is a screen that makes your photos a bit fuzzy as you will see in a moment.

Great report Brum X. LPA is a cracking airport. I've been there so many times yet never noticed a roof terrace before. Cheers for sharing the photos. They're really great.

Part 2:

Norweigan 738 arrives from Barcelona El Prat

Iberia Express A320 arrives from Madrid Barajas

Binter Canarias

Binter Canarias ATR

Its me, LOL. At this time of the day thanks to my excellent flight time back home, it is quiet at LPA as most flights from northern europe are still on there way down to the canary islands so i decided to catch the last bit of canary island sun on my skin.

Iberia Express A320 goes back to Madrid

Norweigan 738 is pushback for its flight back to Barcelona

And departs Runway 3L

With Iberia taking off next.

And before long it is time for me to board my flight at 11.40am and in typical spanish airports manner, i get the 3 spanish bongs to announce my flight. It goes something like this (This obviously is not my flight) but it gives you an idea of what i heard.

Norweigan Airlines at LPA have there own handling similar to Jet2 at some spanish airport, this was my bus that took me to the aircraft on a remote stand.

Great report Brum X. LPA is a cracking airport. I've been there so many times yet never noticed a roof terrace before. Cheers for sharing the photos. They're really great.

Im not finished yet but as you cant upload more than 20 photos at a time, im having to do it in different sections.

Part 3:

We leave the Terminal building and as you can see, all the gates are currently empty but as im taking this pic, northern europe arrives at LPA.

My aircraft awaits.

Ryanair 738 arrives from London Stansted

And we are here.

And i couldnt resist this photo.

And at approx 12.00pm, we are off. Thomson 738 arrives from London Gatwick

Part 4:

Edeiweiss A320 arrived from Zurich

Ryanair 738 arrived from Seville

We line up on Runway 3L and we are off, thundering down the runway.

And lift off

Bye Bye Gran Canaria

My whole week was Blue sky and Hot sunshine, as we take off there is a blanket of cloud heading towards the island.

Cloud covers the islands of Lanzarote and Fuerteventura

After 30 mins the inflight service begins on my flight, i feel hungry

And this is the real thing, it wasnt too bad. You also got a soft drink and a double finger Twix ;-)

I then sat back and relaxed and at approx 4.00pm, BHX came into view. I was nearly home. We were flying over Coventry at this point and there must of been a line of aircarft landing on runway 33 becouse we did a turn around before lining up for the runway. It was very windy when we landed and was quite a bumpy landing.

This is where my LPA reports ends and i have one more pic to share with you all on the BHX frequent flyers thread with my arrival into BHX.

Cheers

Many thanks BrumX. I thoroughly enjoyed your illustrated holiday journal.

Incidentally, Bristol Airport now has an open air viewing area on top of the terminal. There is also an eatery that occupies part of the open area but the remaining part can be accessed by any passenger not using the cafe. The only snag is that it gives only a partial view of the apron and runway - better than nothing though.

Great post. Looks a nice airport! Don't know how old it is but the terminal looked quite new. Also noticed they loaded back and front of the plane at the same time. Honestly don't know why more airlines don't do that! Glad you had a great time!

Great post. Looks a nice airport! Don't know how old it is but the terminal looked quite new. Also noticed they loaded back and front of the plane at the same time. Honestly don't know why more airlines don't do that! Glad you had a great time!

That's an easy one. Some aircraft have to be loaded and unloaded in a particular way simply so they don't tip up!
View attachment 3890

That's an easy one. Some aircraft have to be loaded and unloaded in a particular way simply so they don't tip up!
View attachment 3890
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Got a feeling someone got into trouble over that one!
It seems to me that it would create less hassle especially if you are at the back and have to fight through everyone with their over sized hand luggage like I did last Wednesday!

Yeh I know what you mean. It would make it so much easier. It depends on the aircraft types though.

I just love the announcements at the Spanish airports.

Yeah me too, mind you we have similar announcements at BHX now and if the flight is going to Spain or Germany, an announcement is made in English first and then the destination language. Makes BHX feel international rather than using an actual person calling the flight especially in Birmingham with our funny accent.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock