• Hi Guest . We are in the process of installing new software. If you notice a glitch please let us know.

The Greater Birmingham - Thread

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
Is that the old Birmingham Eye Hospital just to the left of the lampost?
Kevin
It certainly is my friend
I thought so! I had the 'pleasure' of spending the night there, many years ago.
I was working in the Pharmacy Dept at Aston University. Every Friday, 11.00am to 12 noon a group of staff and PhD students would play football. I had taken the ball down the right wing and attempted a cross into the box. This was blocked at close range by a defender. The ball hit me full on in the face, hard enough to knock me to the ground (I'm a big chap, 6ft 3in so that takes some doing). On picking myself up and dusting myself down, I noticed that my vision was 'cloudy' in my left eye. I played the rest of the game, but was still convinced something was wrong. I went to the university Medical centre snd was immediately sent to the Birmingham Eye Hospital. Tests showed that the 'cloudy' vision was due to cells being dislodged within the eye. Fortunately no dislodged retina. It also showed that the pressure in my eyeball was 9 times normal.
For the medical tests, eye drops were applied to dilate my pupils. Everything became blindingly bright.
The next day (more eye drops having been given), improvements were good enough for me to be allowed home.
My Dad collected me and I had to wear sunglasses to have any chance of seeing anything (the eye drops had not worn off).
The worst part of this, was that my parents were hosting a barbeque that afternoon/evening. I had to stay in the living room, wearing sunglasses and with the curtains drawn just to try and cope with the light.
Fortunately, there was no lasting damage to my eye.
There was a happy side to this. Whilst waiting in the day room at the hospital for my Dad to collect me, an elderly lady was having her bandages removed following cataract surgery. To see her joy at being able to see again was wonderful.
Did the experience stop me playing football? No way!

Kevin

Brum X

Premium Member Plus
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
Thread starter #767
3 Centenary Square

Application Number: 2018/06605/PA

Proposal: Refurbishment and change of use of the former Municipal Bank from B1 and A2 uses to a mixed use scheme, comprising University use including exhibition halls (Use Class D1), food and beverage uses (Use Classes A3 and A4), community uses (Use Classes D1, D2 and Sui Generis) and co-working use (Use Class B1), removal of south elevation and single storey 'lean to' and erection of new south extension and roof canopy incorporating new south facing, second floor roof terraces and roof level plant enclosures, removal of existing glazed roof light and erection of new raised roof light above existing roof level, forming new parapet wall to existing east facing roof terrace. extension of basement level ancillary space to the south beneath new landscaped steps and ramp opening the south elevation to bank court, demolition and extension of the subterranean south wall to the existing south basement to connect to the basement parking and service entrance below bank court and erection of two new lifts to the southern perimeter of the building aligned to the existing stair cores
Quote:
Application Number: 2018/06627/PA

Proposal: Listed Building Consent for removal of south elevation and single storey 'lean to' and erection of new south extension and roof canopy incorporating new south facing, second floor roof terraces and roof level plant enclosures, removal of existing glazed roof light and erection of new raised roof light above existing roof level, forming new parapet wall to existing east facing roof terrace. extension of basement level ancillary space to the south beneath new landscaped steps and ramp opening the south elevation to bank court, demolition and extension of the subterranean south wall to the existing south basement to connect to the basement parking and service entrance below bank court and erection of two new lifts to the southern perimeter of the building aligned to the existing stair cores

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #771
Good stuff.

With the NEC getting a refurb I feared that this may have been left out.

Birmingham really was a trailblazer in the conferencing and exhibition scene.

The NEC was originally planned for Leicestershire, near to J21 of the M1 but the County Council turned it down claiming that 'the big shows only want London'. In 1976 Birmingham took the plunge and opened what is now the country's biggest and best exhibition space and a few years later, a huge concert arena.

Following the huge success of the NEC complex, 1991 saw the opening of Birmingham's second arena, this time in Central Birmingham, a venue that not only houses many huge concerts but also plays host to sporting events such as the IAAF World Championships.

At the same time Birmingham also opened the International Convention Centre which has become one of, if not the, country's premier conferencing venues. This complex incorporates the Birmingham Symphony Hall which was described by expert Leo Beranek as having the finest acoustics in the country and one of the finest in the world.

These venues really came into their own during the memorable summer of 1998 when Birmingham hosted the Eurovision Song Contest, the G8 Summit and the Lions Club International Convention. To host any single one of these events would have been a huge task but to have all three within such a short space of time was a monumental challenge and one that the city took on with relish. All three events went down as massively successful with huge praise heaped on Birmingham, non more so than from President Clinton.

Since then many venues have appeared up and down the country but the NEC and Co will always be the biggest and the best.

Often imitated but never replicated (y)

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #774
I went to Resorts World today.

The Bear Grylls Adventure looks very near completion.

The complex was fairly busy but there are several empty units that I didn't see before, some of them are being used by a gaming company. All of the restaurants looked busy.

The new Zizzi restaurant looks nice and was pretty much full. Miller & Carter also have signs up but I didn't see a date.

VLM still have an advert by the train station for services to Antwerp :)

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #777
Have we seen this before?

Camden Square - a development of 500+ residential units in the JQ by Galliard and Apsley House Capital (the same people behind the Timber Yard).

I hope this is the final design - it looks absolutely mint (y)

I really like that, it's exactly the kind of high quality proposal that we need and perfect for the Jewellery Quarter (y)

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #778
No real reason to post this other than the more I watch it the better it gets.

From 7:50 it really is quite remarkable, especially given the massive time constraints.

Roll on 2022.

#Brum

Brum X

Premium Member Plus
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
Thread starter #779
No real reason to post this other than the more I watch it the better it gets.

From 7:50 it really is quite remarkable, especially given the massive time constraints.

Roll on 2022.

#Brum

Brum in 2022 is gonna be like 1998 all over again, going to be an electric atmosphere around the city. Cant wait :)

Top Bottom