I've just seen a comment on the other forum saying that the reason why both BHX and BRS were pulled was because the yields were poor on AGP and PMI, Florence is unknown.

I've just seen a comment on the other forum saying that the reason why both BHX and BRS were pulled was because the yields were poor on AGP and PMI, Florence is unknown.

Yes, I saw that. I note the poster who has been a member and regular poster on that forum for a long time includes BA in his user name.

Whether that indicates his working for the airline is unknown. If he is he wouldn't normally be discussing yields in a public forum, even in a generalised way.

He said that loads from BRS and BHX on the Malaga and Palma routes were up slightly over the previous year but the yields were very poor, hence they were pulled.

He went on to say that the Florence route from both airports operated with 'quite high load factors' but he doesn't know the yield. It begs the question that if he really does know the yields on the Malaga and Palma routes why doesn't he also know the yields on the Florence route?

The thought at the time the routes were announced was that because it was a way of utilising aircraft that were otherwise unused at weekends they weren't looking for great profits. Perhaps the yields were so bad that they were losing money. I never looked at the fares so have no idea of their level.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/british-airways-cancels-flights-bristol-2073985

There is a piece in the local rag today regarding the cancellation of the BACF programme at BRS.

A BA spokesman said that the airline is not resuming its flight programme at BRS and BHX next summer, "due to the complexity and cost of operating from airports where we have no crew bases".

He went on to say, "This doesn’t mean we are withdrawing from these airports permanently. We will continue to review alternative ways of operating from both Bristol and Birmingham airports in the future.”

Well, to plagiarise that comment from an infamous court trial in the 1960s, "He would say that"

A BA spokesman said that the airline is not resuming its flight programme at BRS and BHX next summer, "due to the complexity and cost of operating from airports where we have no crew bases".
Yet BHX and BRS are probably the closest airports to their main bases with the exception of London airports. Also does MAN have a crew base? I am surprised that even with the competition they couldn't make the routes work.

Yet BHX and BRS are probably the closest airports to their main bases with the exception of London airports. Also does MAN have a crew base? I am surprised that even with the competition they couldn't make the routes work.
I take it the statement about the complexity and cost of operating where there is no crew base refers in part to the problems they had with the BRS-FLR route this summer. There were times - I think it was on three occasions (certainly two as one of our members was affected) - when the BRS-FLR sector didn't operate. The reason seemingly being that the aircraft had been delayed so much on the first two sectors - LCY to FLR and FLR to BRS - because of overseas industrial action that by the time it was due to return to FLR from BRS the flight crew had run out of hours.

Passengers were then left stranded at BRS.

With Costa -type holidays reportedly down this summer because of the hot weather in the UK the Spanish routes chosen were already well covered at BRS (and at BHX) by other airlines. Although the Florence loads seemed very good - it was only an E170 though - the route operated on Saturday lunchtimes just over two hours after the daily and heavily used easyJet flight to nearby Pisa.

It was probably worth a try in order to find uses for the BACF aircraft at weekends, but these particuar routes didn't seem to cut the mustard although there have been reports - I don't know how valid - that BA wasn't looking for huge yields as it was more interested in utilising its aircraft to make some money rather than leaving them standing around doing nothing.

I note that there is stlil a major advertising hoarding for BA and its summer routes on the triangular sail-type structure on the first roundabout along the main approach road to the airport.

Can't someone get their act together and have it removed? Incorrect information is usually worse than no information at all.

I note that there is stlil a major advertising hoarding for BA and its summer routes on the triangular sail-type structure on the first roundabout along the main approach road to the airport.

Can't someone get their act together and have it removed? Incorrect information is usually worse than no information at all.
perhaps someone hopes that BA will change their mind about next summer routes.

Someone hope that BA will change their mind about next summer routes.
They will probably still be hoping this time next year.

BA back at the airport today operating a ski charter I assume?
View attachment 16069
I presume it's a ski charter, unless it's operating a displaced fight from another airport, although it was on the BRS departure page much earlier today which suggests it was a previously-arranged flight. BRS doesn't usually show inbound diversions on its website.

There is no return flight shown on the airport website arrivals page so the return might be coming back next Saturday if it's a one-off half-term operation.

With all the cancellations at BRS today Grenoble seems to have struck lucky with the two easyJet and one Ryanair departures earlier in the day having operated.

I was surprised to see a BA liveried check in desk at the airport yesterday afternoon. Flight to Grenoble.

I was surprised to see a BA liveried check in desk at the airport yesterday afternoon. Flight to Grenoble.

It was a charter. There are quite a few charters operated at weekends by BACF, yesterday it looks like there were also some charters from MAN & EDI operated by BACF.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock