Advertisement

Portland, Oregon, USA.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
As many may know i travel frequently to Portland in Oregon in the USA because that is where my girlfriend lives so I've made 4 trips there at the moment.
The actual City of Portland itself has a population of 632,309 people while the metropolitan area has 2,348,247.
Downtown Portland i've only ever really driven through it and not really had a look round it but from what i've seen it does look quite nice. It's on the bank of the Willamette river which then runs into the Coulmbia river further down river and then ends up in the Pacific which is a 2 hour drive West. The only way to get to downtown is via several bridges that cross the river which also give you a good view of downtown Portland itself. Portland is known as a environmentally conscious city it has a high level of walkability and also lots and lots of cyclists! It also has a lot of parks and their is a long walk along the riverfront as well. Portland is also called the City of Roses because of the Rose festival which started in 1905 and happens during the month of June.
For people that like sports the city has a MLS team the Portland Timbers who were MLS Champions in 2015 and has a NBA team the Portland trailblazers.
There is also lots of outdoor sports like hiking and skiing which generally takes place to the east of Portland on Mount Hood which is considered an active volcano and is pretty visible from most of Portland also if you are on the right flight path heading out of PDX then you can fly right past it. Also to the north is Mount St Helens which erupted in 1982. Just to let anyone reading this know Portland sits on top of a pretty big fault line known as the Cascadia subduction zone (yes i got that from google!).
If you drive up the Columbia river gorge and there are lots of waterfalls an hiking trails off the I-84. My favourite is Multnomah falls and there is also a viewing area off route 30 which provides spectacular views but can be a little bit windy!
Food wise it's pretty normal American stuff lots burger places and steakhouses and asian food. One place i like to go is called Chang's. It's a Mongolian grill and it's a buffet style but you get to pick all your ingredients which is uncooked and then watch it being cooked on a hotplate which is pretty good. It's not a fancy place and i think there is only 2 in the area but i find it's different.
Transport wise Portland has a very good public transport system called the tri-met which includes buses with bicycle carriers on the front and a light rail system across the area and the airport has it's own line.
The airport handles 15 million people a year and has a daily flight to AMS year round with Delta Airlines and a couple of flights a week from KEF with Icelandair also it has good connection from SEA, SFO, LAX, SLC and MSP mostly through Delta and Alaska Airlines. Starting at the end of May 2017 and running until September there will be daily flights from LHR to PDX.
I would highly recommend Portland to anyone looking for a different place to holiday. Oh just to warn you the weather can be a bit like Wales!:)
I hope my review helps in some way!

Advertisement

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Many thank for that Jerry. It sounds a fascinating area to explore.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Also I forgot to put in the review that Portland has a popular craft beer seen and Oregon itself has a lot wineries which a lot are open for tours.

Advertisement

Top Bottom