Administrator
Apr 10, 2010
EUROPE
European-Union
Tullamarine_International_terminal_Vabre-1.jpg

Phil Vabre, Wikipedia

• Admin
Melbourne Airport pockets $1.1bn in exorbitant carparking fees
MELBOURNE airport has raked in $1.1 billion in carparking charges in the past decade.

The unpopular fees tore $135.3 million from users last year — more than $370,000 a day, an Australian Competition and Consumer Commission review shows.

Revenue continued to outstrip other major airports monitored nationwide last financial year, despite dipping by $11.7 million compared to the previous year.

Customers are slugged “drive-up” rates of $5 for up to 15 minutes, $10 for 15-30 minutes, $15 for an hour and $59 for a day at Melbourne’s terminal carparks.

Seven-day parking is $99 at the long-term carpark.

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...s/news-story/df48058ab678ab52d1249d2635f91759

At MEL you can still drive right up to outside the entrance to the terminal to offload passengers and luggage - no charge but, sensibly, they have staff patrolling to make sure that no-one abuses this by remaining for an unwarranted period.

At MEL you can still drive right up to outside the entrance to the terminal to offload passengers and luggage - no charge but, sensibly, they have staff patrolling to make sure that no-one abuses this by remaining for an unwarranted period.
It's the same at PDX both for arrivals and departures. Also you have access to public transport and hotel shuttle buses at arrivals as well. They'll even call your hotel to let them know you are ready for pick up.

It's the same at PDX both for arrivals and departures. Also you have access to public transport and hotel shuttle buses at arrivals as well. They'll even call your hotel to let them know you are ready for pick up.
The UK became terminal-front sensitive after terrorists (I think one was a doctor) drove a vehicle into the front of the terminal at Glasgow Airport. Not all nations followed suit in banning most vehicles from getting to the front of terminal buildings.

I've never travelled through Portland Airport but I remember that, pre 9/11, all US airports I used allowed anyone, including those seeing passengers off, to gain access right up to the departure gates. Everyone went through a rudimentary screening procedure in my experience but there were so many people going through the very light security that it was only a token gesture.

The UK became terminal-front sensitive after terrorists (I think one was a doctor) drove a vehicle into the front of the terminal at Glasgow Airport. Not all nations followed suit in banning most vehicles from getting to the front of terminal buildings.

I've never travelled through Portland Airport but I remember that, pre 9/11, all US airports I used allowed anyone, including those seeing passengers off, to gain access right up to the departure gates. Everyone went through a rudimentary screening procedure in my experience but there were so many people going through the very light security that it was only a token gesture.
There is curbside check in for some of the airlines and the odd policeman but no screening. You basically walk right in to the check in desks. I guess they've never had an incident like the one at Glasgow so probably don't see it as a risk.

There is curbside check in for some of the airlines and the odd policeman but no screening. You basically walk right in to the check in desks. I guess they've never had an incident like the one at Glasgow so probably don't see it as a risk.
If something doesn't happen in the USA it's of no importance is a feeling that seems to drive the credo of the American psyche. After 9/11 they immediately became (in their eyes) the world's foremost authority on terrorism, conveniently ignoring the mass of experience acquired over many decades by the UK with the IRA, and Europe with their home-grown terrorists in such countries as Spain and Germany.

I've met many lovely American people over the years but as a nation they are extremely insular.

So it would seem it's not just the UK that has exorbitant parking charges but as TLY says, at least meeters and greeters can drive up to the terminal front to pick up and drop off at Melbourne airport.

Record Melbourne Airport passenger performance in December 2017

Key points

• A record breaking month for Melbourne Airport:
    • 1.02 million international travellers fly – breaking through the one million mark in a calendar month for the first time.
    • New record for international departures at 0.54 million
    • Busiest day on record for Terminal 2 (departures and arrivals) with 38,716 international travellers on 23 December.
    • Melbourne Airport surpasses 10 million international travellers overall for the calendar year.
    • Three route launches: Air Canada’s seasonal service to Vancouver, Jetstar’s non-stop flight to Zhengzhou and Xiamen Airlines non-stop service to Hangzhou.
    • T2 Luxury retail precinct and T3 ½ pop-up venue opens.
Melbourne Airport has celebrated the end of 2017 by breaking a series of passenger number records, launching new international routes and enhancing the traveller experience with the opening of a $50 million dollar shopping and dining upgrade.

For the first time in the airport’s history more than a million international passengers travelled through the airport in a single calendar month with 1.02 million movements, surpassing the previous record of 977,938 in January 2017.

Terminal 2 was abuzz in the lead up to Christmas with 38,716 passengers in the precinct on 23 December, a new ‘busiest day’ milestone for T2. On the same day more than 20,000 holidaymakers travelled on departing flights – setting a new record for T2 Departures.

To top off a remarkable year of growth in travel and tourism, Melbourne Airport welcomed its 10 millionth international passenger for the first time during a calendar year period.

Melbourne Airport CEO Lyell Strambi said he was overjoyed with the milestones reached in December.

“December was an outstanding month with great passenger numbers that reflect the demand for international travel in and out of the world’s most liveable city,” said Mr Strambi.

“We’re extremely proud to have welcomed 1.02 million international travellers through our airport in the month, and to achieve a growth of 7.2 per cent in international passenger traffic compared to December 2016.

“Terminal 2 handled almost 39,000 people in a single day, which is by far the highest passenger volume recorded in the precinct. In addition, we hit a new record for international departures with 0.54 million people flying overseas in December, surpassing the previous record of 0.51 million in December 2016.”

Mr Strambi said the airport welcomed three new international services last month, which supported the demand for international travel.

“There were no signs of slowing down as the year came to an end with the launch of three new non-stop services to Vancouver, Zhengzhou and Hangzhou,” said Mr Strambi.

“Qantas also announced a new non-stop route between Melbourne to San Francisco, to commence this year.

“To support our growth in international travel, we unveiled a $50 million dollar T2 Luxury Precinct at the beginning of the month featuring 11 high-end retailers and five new hospitality venues that truly reflect Melbourne’s renowned food offering.

“Our latest passenger data reveals a steady growth of almost 2 per cent in the domestic market compared to the same time last year. Also, recent statistics published by OAG.com confirm the Melbourne-Sydney route is the second busiest air route in the world.

“To cater to our growing domestic market the airport partnered with Collingwood brewery Stomping Ground to deliver a uniquely Melbourne themed pop-up venue, T3 ½, giving travellers a new outdoor space to relax in before boarding. It was a hit over Christmas and it’s going to be very popular during the Australian Open.”

Mr Strambi said after a busy end to 2017, the focus is now on the year ahead with continued investment into the airport facilities to meet the demand in travel.

Press Release - END

The owners (part) of Melbourne Airport is the new owner of Leeds Bradford Airport. Melbourne is performing exceptionally well. Fingers crossed they can transform their new UK airport venture.

The owners (part) of Melbourne Airport is the new owner of Leeds Bradford Airport. Melbourne is performing exceptionally well. Fingers crossed they can transform their new UK airport venture.
As you know, Aviador, my wife and I have used Melbourne Tullamarine (MEL) most years since 2010 to enter and leave Australia. We've also used it for domestic flights.

I'd term it as an 'ok sort of airport'. It handles about 35 mppa a year and perhaps surprisingly for such an airport has no rail connection, nor even a tram link and Melbourne has the biggest urban tram network in the world. Over the years there have been many schemes to provide rail connectivity but they all fell through. The current plan is to have a rail link within the next ten years. Apart from taxis public transport is provided by the super shuttle bus from Southern Cross railway station on the edge of the CBD.

The shuttle bus runs much of the 14-mile journey along a freeway and takes about 25 minutes. It's an interesting drive for aircraft buffs as a few miles before Tullamarine the route passes Melbourne Essendon Airport which was Melbourne's main airport until 1970. These days there are a few domestic scheduled routes but I believe it's mainly a charter airport. The third airport for Melbourne is Melbourne Avalon situated outside Geelong, Victoria's second largest city. Avalon is about 45-60 minutes (depending on traffic) by road from central Melbourne. It's used by Jetstar, the Qantas low-cost airline, but has a very limited route portfolio with Sydney being the main destination. We flew to and from Sydney via Avalon once on Jetstar A320s. It's a delight to use because it's so quiet yet has a 3,000-metre runway.

Back to Tullamarine, when we've used it for domestic routes we've always found the check-in staff (we tend to use Virgin Australia from there for domestic journeys) very friendly and helpful. Refreshment facilities are nothing special as we've found on our domestic flights - fortunately we can use the Emirates lounge when returning to the UK.

We usually arrive from Dubai around 0630 and are invariably the first international arrival of the day. That being so passage through immigration and customs is invariably swift, often no more than half an hour from getting off the aircraft to reaching landside. However, on one occasion we were two hours late and landed with several other large international aircraft. The queues then for immigration and customs were huge and it took us nearly 90 minutes to reach landside.

Last edited:
Interestingly, regarding Avalon; this article appeared on ch-aviation only 10 hours ago!

AirAsia X is set to announce the relocation of its Melbourne service from the main gateway at Melbourne Tullamarine to Melbourne Avalon airport in late 2018, Sydney Morning Herald has reported. If confirmed, the route would become the first international service out of the latter airport.

A formal announcement of the relocation is expected within a few days.

According to the newspaper, a new international terminal will be built at Avalon airport to facilitate the new route. The government of the state of Victoria, as well as the federal authorities, are understood to be prepared to participate in the investment. The airport situated between the cities of Melbourne and Geelong is privately owned by Linfox, a logistics company.

AirAsia X currently flies to Melbourne from its main base at Kuala Lumpur Int'l 14x weekly using A330-300 equipment. The route is also operated 14x weekly by Malaysia Airlines.

Avalon airport currently sees limited and exclusively domestic scheduled passenger traffic with Jetstar Airways as the sole airline. According to the ch-aviation capacity module, the low-cost subsidiary of Qantas operates a total of 49 weekly departures out of Avalon to Sydney Kingsford Smith, Coolangatta/Gold Coast, Adelaide, and Hobart. The airport also hosts Qantas' maintenance base.

I can see Avalon becoming to Melbourne like Stansted is to London, a large low cost airport - which isn't a bad thing.
If AirAsia are successful in their move, I can imagine Jetstar, Scoot, Tigerair and other LCC moving too.
Torquay and it's surfing attraction would be a great marketing tool, to offset the distance to Melbourne CBD.

I flew into Melbourne T3 domestic on the 22nd and that seemed very busy by all accounts, so can only imagine what T2 was like, hopefully the immigration queues weren't too bad!

As good as the Skybus is getting out to the airports, a proper rail link needs to be built.
Sydney's link is fantastic, even if it is very expensive.

I can see Avalon becoming to Melbourne like Stansted is to London, a large low cost airport - which isn't a bad thing.
If AirAsia are successful in their move, I can imagine Jetstar, Scoot, Tigerair and other LCC moving too.
Torquay and it's surfing attraction would be a great marketing tool, to offset the distance to Melbourne CBD.

I flew into Melbourne T3 domestic on the 22nd and that seemed very busy by all accounts, so can only imagine what T2 was like, hopefully the immigration queues weren't too bad!

As good as the Skybus is getting out to the airports, a proper rail link needs to be built.
Sydney's link is fantastic, even if it is very expensive.
Tiger were going to use Avalon a few years ago but then changed their mind. As with MEL there have been/are ideas to provide a rail link with Avalon. The original thought was a link from the Melbourne-Geelong line but I believe there are alternatives being considered including light rail. Currently there isn't enough traffic to warrant it but if the airport does grow substantially a rail link must be a serious consideration.

I agree that Avalon is in a great location for tourist traffic. Geelong itself is an under-rated city with lots of attractions and not only is it the gateway to the Great Ocean Road and all that it entails, it is also next door to the Bellarine Peninsula with its beaches, coastal towns and wineries.

Our daughter and family live in Torquay with its superb beaches and great surf, notably Bells Beach.

It would be marvellous for us if we could fly long-haul into Avalon.

A relative of ours is due to fly out from Melbourne Tullamarine early Saturday afternoon, Melbourne time.

Checking FR24 I noticed that there are only 16 departures shown for the whole of Saturday, this at an airport that normally handles over 37 million passengers a year. The reason no doubt is Victoria's severe restrictions to combat a worrying spike in infections that began several weeks ago. Worrying by Australian standards that is. Even taking relative population sizes into account the Victorian spike would be regarded as hardly anything in many countries, including the UK.

Our relative is booked on a Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong and should have continued to Heathrow with British Airways on a through booking. However, yesterday he was told that the BA flight had been cancelled. He has made arrangements to fly on to London from Hong Kong via Doha (presumably with Qatar) but this will mean 14 days quarantine when he arrives in the UK, something he was trying to avoid.

He is not at all impressed by the attitude of the BA people to whom he spoke who were less than helpful, and from what I can gather he arranged the Qatar alternative himself. He is 'in transit' to Melbourne Tullamarine by road from the Australian country areas so I'm not getting full details yet.

FR24 shows that BA32 (Hong Kong-Heathrow) is cancelled both this evening and on Saturday evening (Hong Kong times).

Sounds like a right night mare. Do BA cancell long haul regular or is this something to do with covid 19. Things like this does BA no favours at all.With all this going on it makes you feel like throwing in the towel and go back home. The problem with that is no telling when it can get a flight again with no problems.

Sounds like a right night mare. Do BA cancell long haul regular or is this something to do with covid 19. Things like this does BA no favours at all.With all this going on it makes you feel like throwing in the towel and go back home. The problem with that is no telling when it can get a flight again with no problems.
I don't know why the Hong Kong-Heathrow sector was cancelled. As I said earlier, the flights have been cancelled on both Friday and Saturday nights from Hong Kong.

There was a story in the Sun about an entire BA cabin crew being quarantined for a fortnight in HK earlier in the week. They had operated the outbound BA31. According to the Sun there is a lot of discussion and ill-feeling about the HK authorities' actions. Whether BA flights to HK have been suspended because of this I have no idea. I can find nothing on the internet that suggests that.

There was a story cant remember where it was. There was a complete BA crew in quarentine in Thailand. They would not let them fly out and some one complained as to where they were kept and the state of the place they were to.I will try to find it.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock