BBC Radio WM just spoke to Flybe Chief Exec. He said around 120 jobs initially, to get up and running in March. 200 jobs after 12 months ops, rising hopefully to around 700 after 3 years.
He would not discuss route plans, but praised BHX and Nick Barton for their help in setting up at Birmingham, with HQ etc.

Flybe has today announced that Birmingham Airport will be its new company headquarters and first new crew base.

Flybe will serve regions across the UK and EU with operations scheduled to begin in early 2022. Birmingham Airport’s Diamond House will be the location of the company’s new HQ and Operations Centre, in a move that is expected to create around 200 new jobs in the Birmingham and West Midlands region over the next three years, with an estimated additional 400 direct jobs to be created nationwide.

The news follows the April sale of the business and assets of Flybe Ltd (in administration, now renamed FBE Realisations Ltd) to Thyme Opco Limited (now renamed Flybe Limited).

Flybe CEO Dave Pflieger said: “We are thrilled to be partnering with Birmingham Airport (BHX), the City of Birmingham, and the Mayor of West Midlands to make BHX the location of our new headquarters and first crew base. It was an ideal choice for us due to its great people and highly skilled workforce, its central UK location, and the fact that Birmingham Airport is a global travel hub where local and connecting customers have access to over 150 worldwide destinations. Today’s announcement marks the culmination of over 12 months of dedicated hard work by all involved, and it would not have been possible without the support of the CAA and the UK Government.”

Andy Street, Mayor of West Midlands, said: “It really is such brilliant news that Flybe is coming back as a commercial airline, and even better that it has chosen Birmingham to house its new headquarters.

“Not only does this mean better domestic and international connectivity for our region as well as local jobs and opportunities being created here, but it’s yet another show of faith in the West Midlands with businesses choosing to commit to our region as we recover from the pandemic.

“Flybe’s choice highlights the strength of the aerospace sector in the West Midlands and the talent pool available, and I wish Dave and his team all the very best ahead of their official launch early next year.”

Nick Barton, chief executive, Birmingham Airport, added: “Flybe’s announcement that Birmingham has been chosen to become the headquarters for its launch next spring is fantastic news for our region’s connectivity needs, and it will bring with it some great new employment opportunities. Dave’s vast experience in managing start-up airlines and turnaround situations, coupled with the recovery of the Midlands’ economy post-Covid, means that Flybe’s return to the skies from Birmingham is a shot in the arm for our airport as well as West Midlands businesses and communities. We look forward to working with Dave and his team in preparation for next spring and to launch such a well-known brand here in Birmingham.”

Pflieger added: “I also want to emphasise that a key area of focus from day one for Flybe will be environmental sustainability and ensuring we do everything possible to reduce our carbon footprint and GHGs. Our entire fleet will be comprised of the De Havilland Canada Dash 8-400, which is a fast turboprop powered aircraft that can complete short journeys almost as quickly as a regional jet, but with lower CO2 emissions. In addition, we will also be partnering with local community charities and partners who are focused on the environment as well as other causes which align with our corporate goals and values.

“As for what’s next, please stay tuned. We plan to provide more information in the coming weeks and months about ticket prices, new routes and destinations, and other important news that will help customers visit loved ones, get away for a weekend, and get out on business trips. This is an incredibly exciting time for us, and we look forward to sharing more updates in the future.”

So, are Jazeera Airways looking at building a hub in Kuwait? I would be surprised if there is enough direct traffic to justify flights from LHR, BHX and MAN.

Kevin
Kuwait does have a lot of British companies offices.
BUT
Jazeera have a lot of Indian destinations ! With no sign of Turkmenistan airlines return, perhaps it’s the Indian subcontinent passengers they are going to target ?

So, are Jazeera Airways looking at building a hub in Kuwait? I would be surprised if there is enough direct traffic to justify flights from LHR, BHX and MAN.

Kevin

They already have a Hub at KWI with their own dedicated Terminal with a pretty expansive network reaching across the MIddle East, Pakistan, India and north east africa....

Just been given a heads up that Smartlynx are recruiting for UK based cabin crew to be based at Birmingham and Gatwick, could this be for TUI/Jet2 summer leases or a new airline to be based at BHX.

Also looking for A330 captains and first officers with visas to operate to the United States.

interestingly TUI seem to have added another based aircraft for summer 2022 at Birmingham in the last few days, but aircraft type is not showing, so maybe chartering a Smartlynx A320?

Hi Matt,

Have extra rotations been added to some Tui routes? İs that what makes you think an extra aircraft has been added? Curious to know what is being based at BBC for S2022. I see Tui are taking seats on the Easyjet flights to PMİ for example, so with this extra aircraft I wondered why they needed the extra unit.

Cheers in advance

Karl

Karl,

they have added the following flights on an extra based aircraft, 3 Antalya, 2 Dalaman, 2 Palma, 1 Kos, 1 Heraklion, 1 Rhodes, 1 Enfidha per week.

However 2 Antalya, 1 Dalaman, 1 Palma, and 1 Enfidha were already in their timetable, to be operated by a foreign based carrier, so I presume they have decide to wet lease in a SmartLynx A320/A321 to do these flights instead, so the over all increase is 1 Antalya, 1 Dalaman, 1 Palma, 1 Kos, 1 Heraklion, 1 Rhodes per week.

possible TUI based fleet for summer is 1 - 789, 1 - 788, 3 - 7M8s, 5 - 738s, & 1 - A320/321?

Timetable also requires 1 extra 787 for Cancun (Wed), Orlando (Thu), and an extra 738 on a Thursday to operate 2 flights. Quite a schedule for summer over all, lets just hope the demand is there for all these flights.

Is it April 1st or something, anybody want a laugh.

For the record I ahve no time for these mickey mouse airlines, stick with Air India

I will say no more.

UK base in Birmingham
Hans Airways has applied to the UK Civil Aviation Authority for its Air Operator’s Certificate and is hopeful of obtaining the status in time to start revenue service this summer. The airline will operate to secondary cities in India from Birmingham Airport. Its application for an Operating Licence and Route Licence has already been published by the UK CAA.

Yes Birmingham has had a long list of new start up airlines that haven't last more than a few weeks!! it would be nice if Hans Airways was different, but i'm not holding my breath!!!

Airbus A330 they have acquired is ex Air Europa EC-KTG, 13.5 years old, to be registered G-KJAS, seat configuration C24Y275, leased from Carlyle Aviation Partners

Is it April 1st or something, anybody want a laugh.

For the record I ahve no time for these mickey mouse airlines, stick with Air India

I will say no more.

UK base in Birmingham
Hans Airways has applied to the UK Civil Aviation Authority for its Air Operator’s Certificate and is hopeful of obtaining the status in time to start revenue service this summer. The airline will operate to secondary cities in India from Birmingham Airport. Its application for an Operating Licence and Route Licence has already been published by the UK CAA.

Nothing funny about this, it should happen :)
Watch this space

I don’t have expectations either way. At least - if they get going - they’ll have an advantage over the previous failed airines since the A330 can fly direct and won’t have to stop in Yerevan or whichever place it was last time.

I don’t have expectations either way. At least - if they get going - they’ll have an advantage over the previous failed airines since the A330 can fly direct and won’t have to stop in Yerevan or whichever place it was last time.

Yerevan, also Bratislava with Air Slovakia on the 757

Remember Krystystan via Bishkek, lol on the Tuplolev

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock