Advertisement

JetRob

Jun 7, 2020
Leeds
Even though LBA has lost some of its sparkle over the coming years, Jet2 have never said they want to re-locate elsewhere which is fantastic. They have put alot of money into the airport, heck their LFFH and Holiday house are both in Leeds.

The catchment area for Leeds is still a good one and I'm sure the people of Leeds and further afield of provided so much money for the company and they continue to comeback and use Jet2 as they are a customer orientated company and they put the customer first before anyone else and this is shown with the continuous flying program and the inclusion of further destinations next year.

If the new terminal is built and we have a generally bigger airport for stands and passengers, who knows what Jet2 might do. I think and hope there might be further competition and Jet2 might further increase capacity at the airport and take it from there.

I think the discussion sucks that LBA can be considered the '4th best base' but Leeds will always have a special place in Jet2's heart, no matter if other bases are bigger and better or not.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
In the way that many bases overlap, arguably what makes one base more popular over the next can often be determined simply by availability and choice. If LBA is subject to restraint that hinders the operation, reducing flight frequencies and departure times will inevitably mean LBA falls down the ranking because of it's ability to compete.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
I think what are now discussing now is the fact that the airport it's self lets down it's biggest customer and source of customers. Let's hope that they can do something decent with that terminal or get the new one improved. It will very much be welcomed by all including all airlines currently serving LBA.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
so pretty much all these aircraft are actually ex LBA , or certainly aircraft that have mainly been based at lba over the years?

I don't think LBA has seen AC/AE based here for long periods of time or longer then a week. Them two aircraft tend to me more MAN based, with AK being LBA based alongside AB/AN swapping between the two.

fight2win

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2018
baildon
www.easydrive-yorkshire.co.uk
until LBA gets its new terminal and it gets rid of its image which is basically " we always have to fly from MAN, we can never get to ….from lba" which is sometimes not true, then other airports will always gain the more out of the box destinations first (eg Preveza) your alicante's and malaga's will always fill up jet2 aircraft but with the more unusual places where you just have 2 or 3 flights a week you dont really want to be offering from an airport where the general public think you cant fly to from there. once the image of LBA changes which it will do once LCC get their heads screwed on and approve the terminal then it really will be all systems go!

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
Which is what I've always got at in the last 12 months @fight2win. The fact of the matter is simple. Black & white. Jet2 are now moving away from volume destinations into more niche to compliment what they have. It is now the only way to grow. That is where a bigger base with a bigger catchment area will always win. As you say - we need that brand new terminal for the airline.

Does it work? Will it work? What sort of returns will we get? The only way any airline will find out is by giving it to the bigger bases. You only have do an EZ comparison of MAN/LGW to find that out. Yet no one compares them two like the comparison in terms of MAN/LBA for Jet2.

quik123

Oct 26, 2014
I see the Canary Islands now require a negative covid test before you will be allowed to check in to tourist accommodation. Thats going to stop anyone thinking of taking a winter break with the likes of Jet2 once we come out of the current restrictions. I just had a quick look and the going rate for a test is about £150 and thats to get the results back within 48 hours, Canary Islands want the test within 72 hours so timelines are really tight. I can imagine that there wont be anymore Jet2 flights from LBA this side of a vaccine!

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Is it though? If anything it will offer peace of mind knowing your on an aircraft with people who have tested negative. Looking back to lockdown 1.0 I seem to recall Jet2 made the suggestion of testing to enable flights to the Canaries. If this ends up being something that can be done at the airport prior to departure it can only be a good thing.

quik123

Oct 26, 2014
You're right it is a good thing but at present it's not available at the airport. If you did a test today and posted it off, the lab would get it next day. They in turn will test and get it back within 48 hours, so you could be expecting the result on the day of travel! I can't imagine many people will be willing to take that risk. You can buy a test same day or 24 hours but they cost about £250. Again, I can't imagine many will want to add that cost to the holiday. So unfortunately I think the demand for Canary Island holidays will be so low that it might not be worth the airlines running them

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
We know that 10-15 minute testing is now becoming available in the UK. I think it maybe being used in the city wide testing in Liverpool. I think by May at the latest, this kind of testing will be being done at all airports.

quik123

Oct 26, 2014
Lets hope that you're right. But a quick test by May is still 5 months away. There's not going to be a lot of income for LBA in the meantime.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Further Jet2 LBA Schedule update on following city routes which were due to restart in late November in time for xmas.

Amsterdam = Recommences February 1st 2021 - 6x weekly (Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri & Sun)
Budapest = Recommences February 12th 2021 - 2x weekly (Mon & Fri)
Krakow = Recommences February 1st 2021 - 2x weekly (Mon & Fri)
Paris Cdg = Recommences February 1st 2021 - 4x weekly (Mon, Thu, Fri & Sun)
Prague = Recommences February 11th 2021 - 2x weekly (Thu & Sun)
Rome = Recommences February 11th 2021 - 2x weekly (Thu & Sun)

lbaspotter

Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Unbelievable, but it was to be expected what with the on-going Covid-19 situation.

Leeds based Jet2 have today reported pre-tax loss of £119.3 million for the six months to 30 September, which is down from a massive £337 million profit during the same period last year.
Operational profit also fell from £365.1 million to a £111.2 million loss.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
In all honesty I think that's not bad going in light of what we've just been through.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.