How many aircraft does Jet2 have based at LBA currently and how does it compare to other bases? Is there anywhere that this information is available please

In service are 7x B733 & 8x B738, 1x spare back up B738.

A further B738 added in the 6 week school holidays July-august.

I think these remain quite concerning times for the industry as a whole. If things are not sorted quickly, if we think things are a bit of a shambles right now, as has already been stated the July and August peak could be far worse. What does concern me here is are Jet2 over-stretching themselves. They have always been the ones to come up smelling of roses from various industry set-backs but if all is to be believed then it appears they too are struggling just now. The whole travel and tourism industry needs to get back on an even keel ASAP. The pent up demand is outweighing supply just now and providing the completely wrong customer experience. Poorly managed Government handling of pandemic has meant a very very difficult recovery time frame for suppliers but travellers don’t see that - they just expect their holiday or business trip to happen as they want. Some challenging times ahead for many.............

Just a point on this.

The trouble isn't just the airline. If they operated the flights on the paper time they are due to go, everything would, on the whole be okay. The trouble is other parts of the aviation eco-system and the travel industry are suffering exactly what Jet2 (but Jet2 isn't suffering to the extent of other parts). You've got Security causing delays due to slow processing of customers, you've got airports/airlines contracting out to assistance companies to board/disembark passengers who require assistance, to again short staffed service, catering providers suffering with the issues also, then ground handling companies suffering shortages it all adds up.

Then you've got also on top of that the usual issues of the amount of capacity going throughout Europe and the shortage of air traffic controllers in Europe. This has been well documented and known amongst all airlines in the EU the amount of shortages that were coming up. And did these EU countries (German's, French, Spanish to an extent) do anything about this? Did they chuff. Despite the fact they knew there would be experienced staff retiring they didn't get the people onto the books, and trained, then experienced enough in time for these retirements to take place. This isn't the fault of the airlines or airports or anyone in the UK. This is the fault providers/Governments in said countries not seeing what was happening and planning well in advance of it happening. Sadly everyone is now suffering and will continue to do so. I'd recommend you go watch a few Michael O'Leary vides on the subject he loves a good rant. He's smack bang on the money though.

So all it takes is a delay from first flight, delayed due German Air Traffic Service shortages as example, on the return, then same again on the third flight and you're then breathing down the barrel of the crew legal hours. That in it's self is a complex manual which you don't want to be bored with nor would you want to be. A delay here, a delay there, another delay, a delay here. All adds up.

It's clearly documented the BHX/Jet2 thread the ongoing problems with Smartlynx/BHX - maybe they've done something really stupid and put 4 aircraft of theirs into one base. Clearly confident of the recovery out of BHX coupled with TC gap in the market they need the capacity. But to what damage has that done with them? If you read some social media comments I read one; who said he would continue to use Jet2 but will change flights on his September or August holiday to EMA or MAN and avoid BHX at all costs as long as they continue to use SmartLynx. Clearly something needs to be done at high management level for next summer to ensure they dont have them. How many NEO's are they due before April 2023? They should replace them with NEO's. Simply solve the problem. Kick them out and back to Lativa or Malta or back-and-beyond-I-stan or whatever they bloody sprung up from.

Last edited:
Some of them aren't that old for 733's so can't imagine why they would retire them until their useful life has expired and certainly not until aircraft are available to replace them.
The youngest 300 in the fleet is 23 years old so they’re not youngsters although still probably got a few years left in them. They will however be less fuel efficient then the 800’s and far less fuel efficient than the A321neo’s on order plus no doubt their on-going maintenance costs will be higher because of their age. It may be these factors will play a part in their eventual retirement more than their advancing years. Whatever their fate they have been and continue to be faithful servants.

I’m not sure where simple flying get the info about the -300s being retired in 2023. There’s been no mention of any of them being retired right now so as far as I’m concerned they’re still operating for a while yet.

Just a point on this.

The trouble isn't just the airline. If they operated the flights on the paper time they are due to go, everything would, on the whole be okay. The trouble is other parts of the aviation eco-system and the travel industry are suffering exactly what Jet2 (but Jet2 isn't suffering to the extent of other parts). You've got Security causing delays due to slow processing of customers, you've got airports/airlines contracting out to assistance companies to board/disembark passengers who require assistance, to again short staffed service, catering providers suffering with the issues also, then ground handling companies suffering shortages it all adds up.

Then you've got also on top of that the usual issues of the amount of capacity going throughout Europe and the shortage of air traffic controllers in Europe. This has been well documented and known amongst all airlines in the EU the amount of shortages that were coming up. And did these EU countries (German's, French, Spanish to an extent) do anything about this? Did they chuff. Despite the fact they knew there would be experienced staff retiring they didn't get the people onto the books, and trained, then experienced enough in time for these retirements to take place. This isn't the fault of the airlines or airports or anyone in the UK. This is the fault of lazy useless ATC providers/Governments in said countries not seeing what was happening and planning well in advance of it happening. Sadly everyone is now suffering and will continue to do so. I'd recommend you go watch a few Michael O'Leary vides on the subject he loves a good rant. He's smack bang on the money though.

So all it takes is a delay from first flight, delayed due incompetent German Air Traffic Services on the return, then same again on the third flight and you're then breathing down the barrel of the crew legal hours. That in it's self is a complex manual which you don't want to be bored with nor would you want to be. A delay here, a delay there, another delay, a delay here. All adds up.

It's clearly documented the BHX/Jet2 thread the ongoing problems with Smartlynx/BHX - maybe they've done something really stupid and put 4 aircraft of theirs into one base. Clearly confident of the recovery out of BHX coupled with TC gap in the market they need the capacity. But to what damage has that done with them? If you read some social media comments I read one; who said he would continue to use Jet2 but will change flights on his September or August holiday to EMA or MAN and avoid BHX at all costs as long as they continue to use SmartLynx. Clearly something needs to be done at high management level for next summer to ensure they dont have them. How many NEO's are they due before April 2023? They should replace them with NEO's. Simply solve the problem. Kick them out and back to Lativa or Malta or back-and-beyond-I-stan or whatever they bloody sprung up from.
With regard to your above post, please be careful in how you refer to governments/organisations or individuals. We don't want to stifle debate and much of what you say may have merit.

However, there are a couple of statements that do not fit with Forums4Airports rules -

This is the fault of lazy useless ATC providers/Governments

and

delayed due incompetent German Air Traffic Services

i.e. making accusations without supplying any factual evidence.

Please edit your post to remove the accusations that you have made. The 'Forum Wide Rules Using Forums4airports' can be found here -

https://forums4airports.com/threads/584/

I’m not sure where simple flying get the info about the -300s being retired in 2023. There’s been no mention of any of them being retired right now so as far as I’m concerned they’re still operating for a while yet.

Can see them having 7 still in the fleet for S24 too. I reckon retirements begin around W24/25.

For members look at how long it’s taking them to get rid of the 75 fleet. Only got rid of 3 but others will keep flying for a long time yet.

According to sources the new route to Olbia has been removed from sale and there could be many cuts across the network during Summer 23.

Olbia from LBA or the whole network? Jet2 never seem to have success in Olbia.

Source? They keep adding additional seats for S23 and more frequencies. Mind you with the way inflations going, and the way governments are printing money causing more inflation, I expect some cuts.

Jet2 city breaks summer 2023 on sale

Amsterdam = 4x weekly
Barcelona = 2x weekly
Budapest = 2x weekly (No flights June to August)
Krakow = 2x weekly (No flights during 6 weeks school hols July-August)
Naples = 2x weekly
Nice = Not on sale, was 1x weekly summer 22
Paris CDG = 4x weekly
Pisa Florence = 1x weekly
Prague = 2x weekly (No flights June to August)
Rome = 2x weekly (No flights during 6 weeks school hols July-August)
Verona = 1x weekly

Last edited:
After this summer's chaos that alone will put some people off before the cost of living even comes into the equation .I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a downturn in next year's flights and passenger numbers with the marginal routes most at risk.
I do think you could be right Heather. Another factor, this year, is an unbelievable number of people who have rolled these flights/holidays over from up to 2 years ago. Its a use it or lose it this year. We ourselves are going with the car to France in August for exactly that reason (from 2020). That said, companies like Jet2 will be analysing trends, bookings, pricing etc and making adjustments well in advance. Still very smart cookies.

After this summer's chaos that alone will put some people off before the cost of living even comes into the equation .I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a downturn in next year's flights and passenger numbers with the marginal routes most at risk.

It’s almost like those, really pushing “climate crisis” (the group that shall not be mentioned love them) really want this. Downturn in numbers = reduction in flights = reduction in emissions. Forgive me for been a conspiracist and thinking this is deliberate action against aviation via the back door.

Still won’t stop the hypocritical globalists, who still fly half way around the world in their own private jets for a meeting about said “crisis” in Glasgow or all meet to discuss how you and I and everyone else will live in the next god knows how long (Davos - Agenda 2030), when they could aloo jump on aircraft to fly economy class.

Olbia from LBA or the whole network? Jet2 never seem to have success in Olbia.

Source? They keep adding additional seats for S23 and more frequencies. Mind you with the way inflations going, and the way governments are printing money causing more inflation, I expect some cuts.
Only from LBA

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock