Next year - 2019 New York

I see that Jet2 have booked the leased Airbus A330 to operate all New York flights from East Midlands, Glasgow, Manchester & Newcastle next Year whilst the reduced programme from Leeds/Bradford remains operated by Boeing 757-200.

I suppose its to be expected what with our short runway, terminal not upto job and having a short runway.

Sorry you are right, just woke up and saw it, thenremebered it was going to Manchester

Like G-DRTN, the newly delivered G-JZBR has gone to Manchester to have her seats installed as the is no space for her inside the hangar at Leeds .
This is due to several other aircraft in the fleet either undergoing maintenance or being deserviced ready for retirement.

I think there is a bit of perspective needed here. Jet2 continue with sensible and sustainable growth from LBA using aircraft that are suited to our current facilities. We shouldn't forget what they have done for LBA so far. If we had another 200m of runway, more parking stands and the terminal infrastructure that is coming then this could be a totally different conversation. If sustainable expansion where infrastructure is in place at other airports is where current growth has to be then so be it because Jet2 are LBAs major player so we need their whole operation viable, however disappointing that may make their LBA expansion at this current time

I was being a bit tongue in cheek..tempered with some frustration with the same feelings as you Finger66. I think we are all waiting to see what the new sooper-dooper terminal turns out like, and what impact that will have on future capacity. Having A330's is not the B all and end all, especially if we could get smaller planes in (A321NEO or B737/800MAX etc) that can get to far away places and do just as good a job. That reminds me..must do my Christmas wish list!!!!

The New York seems to be a worrying downgrade. No A330 flights and we get left with the bulk of the classic 737's as well. Clearly more bothered about everywhere else!!

How we've manged to get lumbered with even more ageing Boeing 737-300 classics next year is beyond me. The will be 7+ of the dam things based at Leeds next summer 2019, which up from the 6+ we had this past summer 2018 season.

The other remaing Boeing 737-300 fleet will be based between East Midlands and Belfast Int'l, thus meaning both the Edinburgh and Newcastle bases switch to being Boeing 737-800s operations only next summer.

I think I've seen mentioned before that part of the reason the 300s stay at LBA is possibly due to maintenance expertise being more centred here. Added to this, there are a number of city break routes (which are served on a much lower scale from most of the other Jet2 bases) which could make the 300's capacity more suitable.

Once the expansion has been built they may be able to upgrade it to a A330. I heard the new management wanted to remark the stands is this still true, If so does anyone know when it will be happening?

As the -300 fleet is reduced and phased out, naturally the number of bases that will have the type will also be reduced.

It makes perfect sense that LBA be one of the final bases to have the -300 from a maintenance perspective as skill sets and spares become less available. The -300's are usually stripped out of equipment and seats at the LBA hanger before heading off to the afterlife.

Its worth mentioning that of the -300's that will remain in the year ahead, many are much younger than the frames we have seen go so far G-CEL* - some of them are not far off the age of some of the -800's and certainly some of them are much younger than some of the 757s.

Jet2 is in a transitional stage and before long it will be just -800s & 75's at LBA and we should embrace the opportunity to fly on these great little aircraft before they are gone. They may be getting on a bit but they are well looked after and the cabins always look fresh I find.

we should embrace the opportunity to fly on these great little aircraft before they are gone. They may be getting on a bit but they are well looked after and the cabins always look fresh I find.

Indeed, I grew up flying the 733s out of LBA, will be sad when they are gone, love those little things.

A bit more sad at the moment for me is that CELH has just gone a few weeks back, I had flown that aircraft more than any other.

Long live the 733 I say!

I would still love to know which would be the best performers out of LBA, ie 737 MAX or Airbus NEO. Thoughts/info anyone?

After hiatus of around 4/5 years Jet2 recommenced Leeds - Krakrow route today operating 2x weekly (MON + FRI) using Boeing 737-800 equipment.

I wonder how good Jet2's passengers loading are seen as they are up against Ryanair whom operate a 4x weekly Leeds - Krakow service?

Before folk wish away the 737 300s from LBA, it is worth bearing in mind that when they do go, there is a risk that some of the Jet2 routes might also go with them. There are plenty of the G-GDF* series of 300WL's left with lots of flying left in them yet. A good mix of 300s, 800s (and remember we are getting an extra one of those in summer 19) and 757s is probably ideal for the route mix we have here at LBA.

I suspect GDFE will be the first of the GDFs to leave; she is quite elderly compared to the others in the fleet. CELV and CELX leave later this month and CELE and CELY some time next year.

I am just glad we have Jet2 at Leeds and could not care less about its fleet.
Prior to 2003 and it virtually impossible for me to get seat only flights to spain and myself and the family had to fly from virtually every u.k. airport.
TOD's from LBA were impossible to get hold off, Dave Sampson on a friday offered the only seat only flights.
Whilst I could get a TOD on the morning of travel from basically any other u.k. airport, not from LBA.
This was the situation for 40 years of my adult life, now Jet2 one of the operators who offer me and others what we want. I dont care what they offer me to fly on as long as it gets to my destination.
Be thankful what you have got, yes we would like the runway longer, but until recently we could not use it after 10pm, yes I am surer the new terminal will not suit all of us, but it has to be better then the present.
Remember were a small regional airport, were already at the limit of arrivals between 10pm and 7am that locals find acceptable, were not in competition with manchester.

Remember were a small regional airport, were already at the limit of arrivals between 10pm and 7am that locals find acceptable, were not in competition with manchester.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of what you have said TS, except this bit, as we are nowhere near the limit of night time arrivals (or departures, as it is movements that are monitored, not landings). If it were not for the large number of departures between 0600 and 0700, which at other airports are classified as daytime movements, we would be using only a tiny proportion of the night movements approved as part of the planning consent for 24 hour operations. And, to be fair, it is hardly recently that the 10pm curfew was lifted. It was in the 90s, so at least 20 years ago now. If it hadn't been, Jet2 would not be an LBA based airline and LBA would by now by Yorkshire's minor airport.

Just returned from FAO on G-JZBA, newest one I've flown on, and very pleased to land in the murky conditions. Sitting at the back, only saw the ground just as we passed the Cemetery. Practically a full flight, only saw one empty seat at the rear, good service, nice clear announcements from the flightdeck but we routed Brest peninsula - Cork - Dublin - IOM - Liverpool before landing on 14, strange?
The outbound flight last Saturday was on GDFO, its second trip to FAO that day with only 44 pax on board (full on the way back). Good flightdeck and cabin crew service who dealt professionally with someone who fell ill on the way but managed to walk off on arrival.

Another good experience from JET2

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock