Lets hope LBA management have started talking to Jet2 regards replacing some of this lost Ryanair capacity this winter, they did when Monarch went bust.

Thinking especially on the sun routes which sell well for Jet2holiday and are already served from Leeds, eg ACE, LPA, FUE, FAO & RMU.

Last edited:
Just been looking for cheap flights to FAO for next year and they don’t exist anymore.
Jet2 on 23 May for 7 days is a staggering £575.00 seat only but Ryanair from MAN same dates is £335.00....those £70.00 return flights are a thing of the past to FAO now Jet2 have no competition on that route.
I'm guessing that Jet2 will know doubt prompt people to buy their packages instead of the flight only option.

Just been looking for cheap flights to FAO for next year and they don’t exist anymore.
Jet2 on 23 May for 7 days is a staggering £575.00 seat only but Ryanair from MAN same dates is £335.00....those £70.00 return flights are a thing of the past to FAO now Jet2 have no competition on that route.

you can fly long haul for those prices.. Jet2 are trying to steer ``seat onlys` towards their package holidays.Tui/Thomson have been doing that for years. The end of Friendly Low Fares!!

you can fly long haul for those prices.. Jet2 are trying to steer ``seat onlys` towards their package holidays.Tui/Thomson have been doing that for years. The end of Friendly Low Fares!!
Just shows how they have graduated towards that model.

Jet2’s flights have always cost more than the package hoildays. But sometimes you just have to pay it for the practicality of using LBA.

It is staggering £575 because the flight is probably almost fully booked. Jet2 flights have been on sale for months and months. If you want a lower fare, you have to book when they are first launched. Jet2 are no different to other carriers in this regard.

Jet2 stopped doing Friendly Low Fares ages ago. Those words on their aircraft are misleading in the extreme.

Not just next summer.Yesterday I got an e mail re their winter 20/21 fare and jollies...nothing like being well in advance. So I had a quick look for November 2021 LBA to FUE and it was eyewatering..Just shy of £200 each for the basic fare plus usual add ons..Didnt dare look at peak season. Back to France for us next year for a month, with our own car on the Portsmouth to St Malo route for a lot less money than that (tunnel with Tesco vouchers even cheaper)

It is staggering £575 because the flight is probably almost fully booked. Jet2 flights have been on sale for months and months. If you want a lower fare, you have to book when they are first launched. Jet2 are no different to other carriers in this regard.
Have to agree, I booked all our 2020 Spanish trips as soon as bookings opened with Jet2, up to November next year. Dates are within a couple of days of this year as we have to be home for school holidays.
If I add up all six trips the cost next year is £89 cheaper then this year and as this year cheaper then 2018 by £8, all years include seat allocation, hold cases, cabin luggage fee etc, this year would have been greater then £8 as we only paid a cabin luggage fee for two trips in 2018.
I keep repeating that both Ryanair and Jet2 are selling seats basically less then cost, at last weeks AGM, Dart advised that costs are rising greater then seat price inflation a situation that cant continue.
In 1980 I was paying £150 return to Spain, today not far off, as more airlines fold, the remaining carriers will reduce seat capacity on routes to force up prices, Ryanair listed 6 european airlines that the hoped would fail this year, if they did not, as has happened, the 5 million seats that are removing from their schedule would have to double.
Therefore on the 19th, I expect even more route closures and base closures ( I accept some will open, but overall fewer in total), maximising school holidays (23rd May), will be the route to sting customers, expect an even greater difference between school holiday periods and non holiday periods.
Both Dart, Easyjet and Ryanair in the last three months have advised wage costs are rising, yesterday wage inflation in the u.k. at 3.8%, sterling under pressure against the dollar and euro the two currancies these airlines deal in, whilst a barrel of oil is 15% then a year ago, the pound weakening against the dollar has eaten in to this gain.
Sensible pricing will benefit all of us long term, the present model cant continue.

Not just next summer.Yesterday I got an e mail re their winter 20/21 fare and jollies...nothing like being well in advance. So I had a quick look for November 2021 LBA to FUE and it was eyewatering..Just shy of £200 each for the basic fare plus usual add ons..Didnt dare look at peak season. Back to France for us next year for a month, with our own car on the Portsmouth to St Malo route for a lot less money than that (tunnel with Tesco vouchers even cheaper)
Well it is a 4 hour flight and I paid Jet2 over £1000 back in 2007 for 2 adults and 2 children to fly to Tenerife and back, so it was even more expensive then - and the flights were not peak season. Personally I think we have got so used to paying peanuts to fly, we take it as the norm now. It was a bubble that was always likely to burst eventually, with fares going back to where they were. Too many airlines have tried to operate based on these low fares with add ons and too many have failed.

And paying peanuts is what has helped send the industry into turmoil and numerous high profile airline collapses. I am afraid that a sense of normality has to return to air fares for better profitable businesses. Supply and demand will dictate fares. If people are paying what Jet2 are charging why would they offer cheaper fares. Not necessarily what we want to hear as a consumer but definitely what the airline want.

And they will steer the flight only customers over the hill...like me. You don't mind paying £50.00 per passenger more from LBA but that week I have quoted its £240.00 per passenger more expensive.....utter madness.

The pound is worth bugger all yet the bills for the European airports and hotels will still be the same. What they have gained in the past from having a high pound is now lost. The British overseas holiday is now likely to stay very expensive.

Agreed but primarily from ancillaries rather than the air fares. But agree they couldn't sell the ancillaries without the cheap bums on seats. Equally though it's not a Ryanair that have gone bust, at least not yet anyway. Part of why they make so much money is the poor deals the crew have. The strikes say it all. If they provide better deals then either profits reduce or fares rise.

The pound is worth bugger all yet the bills for the European airports and hotels will still be the same. What they have gained in the past from having a high pound is now lost. The British overseas holiday is now likely to stay very expensive.
If you want a Turkish holiday your getting twice as many Turkish Lira to your pound.
I pay for my Spanish hotel in euros and the price has fallen over the last two years as prices have fallen slightly as hotels full to the brim and regulars now enjoy a good discount, air fares have fallen slightly, and as this year we have been able to buy the euro at 1.18, similar to previous years, no change in our spending money, if you ignore late 2015 and up to June 2016 for 10 years the rate has been below 1.25, nearer to 1,15 as a 10 year average.
No one seems to remember the peseta moved from 100 to the pound joining the Common market in 1973, to 280 by late 90's, whilst making our holidays cheaper, caused food costs to rocket and inflation to rise to 24% per annum, doubt no deal will get anywhere near this figure.

in 1973 the rate we changed at was 143 pta for £1
in 1985 --------------------------------------------280 ----------------
sm

This is the full press release...

In response to extra demand at Leeds Bradford Airport, we have today announced that we are adding over 11,000 additional seats to the Canary Islands for Winter 19/20, with additional flights and larger aircraft supporting the expansion.

As Yorkshire’s leading airline and tour operator, we are adding a weekly Thursday service to Fuerteventura from 13th February to 14th May, giving holidaymakers even more choice when it comes to reaching the Winter Sun favourite, famed for its stunning beaches and fantastic year-round climate.

Perfectly timed for the February, Easter and May half-term holidays, it means we will operate up to three weekly services to Fuerteventura during this period. We will also be putting on larger aircraft for a period during November, enabling us to fly even more customers to the Winter Sun hotspot.

Alongside this Fuerteventura expansion, local holidaymakers also have a bigger choice of Lanzarote flights, thanks to the addition of 6,000 departing seats. The introduction of a new weekly Friday flight from 15thNovember to 13th December means that we will operate up to five weekly services to the popular Canary Islands hotspot, again providing more choice and flexibility. The addition of larger aircraft from early November, gives holidaymakers more scope to enjoy a winter getaway too.

The Canary Islands continue to be a year-round favourite with local holidaymakers. On top of these additional services to Lanzarote and Fuerteventura, we also offer year-round services to Gran Canaria and Tenerife from Leeds Bradford Airport. This huge programme of services to the Canaries provides Yorkshire holidaymakers with unrivalled choice and flexibility.

Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays said: “This is fantastic news for customers in Yorkshire. As the region’s biggest airline and tour operator, we have responded quickly to extra demand for our award-winning flights and ATOL protected package holidays to Lanzarote and Fuerteventura by putting on additional seats and larger aircraft. With more services and frequencies, holidaymakers now have even more choice and flexibility when it comes to where and when they would like to enjoy a getaway.”

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock