Cyprus is categorising countries and entry requirements are based on that. I believe UK will be category B from 1 August which means

Passengers from Category B and C countries will need to:
- have undergone a test for Covid-19 at a certified lab, within at least 72 hours prior to their departure, and hold a certificate demonstrating the negative result to the test;
- provide specific information and a declaration.

So it's not very conducive to tourism atm. I think there is a possibility of the UK being moved to category A from September which would mean no testing is needed. Based on that cancelling flights in August is not too surprising.

Why especially Jet2? Their aircraft generally carry the same number of passengers as other similar carriers, that being the number the aircraft was designed to carry. In the case of a 737 800 that being 189 pax. On a 737 300, 148 pax.

Fair enough to say that, I was referring to J2 but really meant all budget / package aircraft. I still cannot help but think the chance of infection on an aircraft is higher than most forms of transport, my opinion

Fair enough to say that, I was referring to J2 but really meant all budget / package aircraft. I still cannot help but think the chance of infection on an aircraft is higher than most forms of transport, my opinion

I think the problem we have is we run the risk of becoming paranoid about doing anything. When people do their grocery shopping, they think they have been extra careful wearing a mask and disinfecting their trolley. Unfortunately though, the products they select at the supermarket will have been touched many times before they reach the comfort of a cupboard or fridge at home. Just imagine those delicious strawberries you picked up the last time you went shopping? They may have been hand-picked by a farm worker who earlier in the day has been to the toilet, not washed his hands properly, scratching his face, picked his nose! The strawberry container was then handled by somebody else in a warehouse and then again in the shop.

I can assure you there is no greater chance of becoming infected onboard an aircraft through the pandemic. Here are the international guidance for cleaning aircraft. IATA the International Air Transport Association who are responsible for providing guidance on all air safety and security.

The nature of air travel, most airlines try to get three cycles from their aircraft each day. This means at very most you will only be the sixth person of the day to use your seat. In contrast, many more people will likely have used your seat if you were travelling on a train or bus. On an aircraft, it is likely your seat will have undergone some form of disinfection during a turnaround prior to you boarding.

You can of course take personal steps to reduce the risk further, if you try to book flights that are the first operation of the day, your aircraft will have been deep cleaned overnight. You can take small 100ml bottles of alcoholic based hand sanitiser as part of your liquid allowance which you could used to wipe down your seat and arm rests prior to using it. If you avoid eating finger food during your flight where you could inadvertently be exposed the virus you picked up during the boarding process. If you follow basic hygiene rules and ensure you wash your hands frequently, you should minimise the risk.

I have every sympathy for Jet2. It must be costing them a small fortune flying loads of empty aircraft out to Spanish resorts.S Some of these sectors are 4 hours plus and trying to consolidate people into fewer flights is understandable.

However, I am unsure as to the legality of insisting customers come back early and in particular telling them if they don't, they will have to find their own flights home. Jet2 have offered a holiday to customers for a given number of nights. The customers have accepted those offers by booking. According to my training in the past, that is a contract. Whether Jet2 can break it to save money, even in these circumstances, I am not sure. I suspect that some unhappy customers will find out. Does anyone know if there is anything in the small print that allows the carrier to do this?

I really hope it doesn't all kick off and damage Jet2's hard earned reputation as they are a victim of Covid and the actions of this Government as much as their customers are.

and as of tonight tighter restrictions in parts of west Yorkshire due to rise in covid cases!

So there has been a rise in cases for WE 26JUL. And 4 days later we are taking official data and imposing lockdown. Actual data today, apparently, has 0 cases in Bradford. Using Bradford as an example. It was the same with Leicester. The actual data they used, versus what actually happened, mean it was useless. The cases were falling day by day up to the extension of their lockdown and fell throughout the whole lockdown period.

Not good news coverage for Jet2 on the BBC News at Ten this evening. They have been accused of profiteering by requesting that some customers rebook more expensive flights (£300 extra was a figure given) and have apparently told affected customers not to contact them, with in-resort reps also unavailable. It appears that the media traction gained by the situation led them to respond to the BBC, saying they have extended guaranteed return flights from Saturday until Monday but after that, if customers don’t agree to any changes, they’ll have to rebook with another airline.

Like every airline, I have sympathy for them, but this doesn’t appear to have been handled very well, rather uncharacteristically for an airline normally praised for it’s customer relations. I would certainly imagine they’ll have checked out the legalities of everything (would seem incredibly foolish not to) but I can’t help but feel they haven’t helped themselves by throwing a bit too much at their restart of Spanish holidays, leaving them scrambling to recover their customers. TUI on the other hand, who restarted very cautiously, will have far fewer customers to bring home and haven’t yet announced any plans to cut holidays short.

Just read that following the quarantine introduction for Spain, and in response to demand, Jet2 are increasing capacity by 30,000 on routes to Turkey and Greece, with larger aircraft on some flights (that will be MAN) and additional flights to Dalaman, Antalya, Bodrum, Corfu, Heraklion, Kos, Zakynthos & Kefalonia. Let's hope we see some of this extra capacity here.
Now, wouldn't it be nice if Jet2 offered to fly those people who they are making come home early from Spain, out to a Greek or Turkish resort instead for the balance of their booked holiday duration - except if course they can't as all the passengers get locked up at home for 14 days. I hope though that Jet2 offer them something by way of compensation.

If they fly out within the 14 day period they will come into contact with other people at the airport as they depart so they would be in breach of the government guidelines.

Thats not correct. It wouldn’t breach the guidelines or the statutory instrument. In fact the SI is explicit that your self isolation period is 14 days or when you leave England if that’s sooner. You are allowed to go directly to the airport for the purposes of leaving. So as I noted you would be allowed to jet off to Greece within 14 days of arriving from Spain.

Sorry, I should have added that I don’t blame you for the confusion. Some of this stuff is not immediately obvious at all. I have spent far too much time recently looking at the bits of legislation on this - sad I know!

Thats not correct. It wouldn’t breach the guidelines or the statutory instrument. In fact the SI is explicit that your self isolation period is 14 days or when you leave England if that’s sooner. You are allowed to go directly to the airport for the purposes of leaving. So as I noted you would be allowed to jet off to Greece within 14 days of arriving from Spain.
The ubiquitous Simon Calder gave that advice on a tv programme earlier this week which (as you point out) is correct, but the tv hosts didn't think much of it, neither did some viewers.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock