It may be an off tangent thought, but could it be to do with planning for the new terminal?? Assuming it gets approved by Government, would the same amount of stands be operational while works are taking place. If not this may impact operations for both- odd that they are late on sale for both operators so maybe it it is logistics planning?

Give it time. We haven’t even started Winter 21/22 yet. There’s plenty of time to add flights for winter 22/23.

Something going on with LBA?

IE/ it's not the airlines but the airport. I wonder what they are waiting for.. the terminal approve or revert back to old terminal plans. I wonder if they are waiting to see what will happen and disruption so that they can confirm the schedules, especially if they revert back to old terminal plans. Disruption to customer experience what is best timed etc.

you would think jet2 would eventually be able to adjust schedules/Fleet size around the terminal once they know when building goes ahead, in the meantime you would think they would have stuff on sale for forward bookings. maybe they're negotiating with LBA about the new terminal, wanting the prime/best facilities which is understandable.

Given winter is 13 months away from season start, perhaps they are waiting. Then if approved, will put provisional “what’s best” schedules in place. Then perhaps alter those when the terminal, builders etc, say “this stand this stand this stand not available between x-z date”. It’s not about schedules but also aircraft overnight etc.

Indeed which is understandable, or it could be LBA increasing Fee's to accommodate the new terminal perhaps? and LS are not happy? who knows but as every other base has been on sale for a while now, its not good.

Massively far fetched but you could imagine if the terminal is refused a huge investment business like AMP would be more than frustrated!!

Is it just a possibility they may know this and have informed the airlines of their intent on closing the facility down. After all LBA doesn’t make money currently, if ever, why keep it as it is….

If you can no longer sell it as an airport business then close it, shove a planning app in for a new town, build 10,000 new homes of varying types and job done return on investment achieved!

Maybe I should just pretend everything is fine even though it’s really not.

We have been here before with Ryanair being late putting a season on sale, with the group that shall not be mentioned claiming they had pulled out. But now, just a couple of weeks after LBA signed up a new Aviation Director from MAN, we have suggestions that the airport could be closed down!
I think that the comments are becoming a bit crazy to be honest. Why do we always assume disaster is about to strike? Lighten up folks!!

Left field query here… assuming we get a go ahead when would enhanced flying hours begin? That would be a reason to put more work into a schedule?

I’ve also asked Ryanair about it and they say they release flights usually 6 months before. So in that case I’d expect flights to be on sale until April (the beginning of the summer season). When we get closer to March/April hopefully they’ll be on sale then for Summer 22. However I must say I think it’s crazy to suggest LBA would close. Not like we don’t have Jet2 now is it? And also other loyal airlines we have such as KLM, eastern…

The only concern I have is what they’re doing with ALC as they normally serve there all year. But received no awnser to that. But apart from that most of their flights are on sale for this Winter. With Faro being put back to all year! Along with the return of Lanzarote, Tenerife, Riga.

What is the rush exactly. I’ve also seen posts on here complaining that Jet2 haven’t put their Winter 22/23 on sale.

It’s over a year away yet and we haven’t started this Winter yet! Hang on and be patient!

To make it clear my doom and gloom post above is definitely not my opinion, just a stupid thought of the extreme.

I would be inclined to think it’s both airlines trying to get a better deal from LBA. I have heard a few rumblings suggesting costs were a little too high at LBA compared to others.

As with everything else - I will be waiting with bated breath…

There is no rush for W22 but is it not a red flag every other base is on sale for LS?... I'm not suggesting they're pulling out, more negotiating but the rest of W22 for LS has been on sale for a long time. and again in regards to FR, NCL, MAN, LPL, BHX have all been on sale for months for S22.. another red flag.

If they ever close the airport and flog the land I propose they build a new nuclear power station on the site. That would give the airport opponents something else to protest about!

I think we must remember that whilst Jet2 do very well at LBA and it is their 'home' airport they too are a business and a successful one at that, they will always seek, rightly so, to obtain what they consider to be a satisfactory deal at all the airports they operate from. Their shareholders would expect that.

I wouldn't think they would want to exit LBA because they hold a dominant position there and do very well out of it but business is business and they, just like everyone else, have suffered due to the pandemic so quite naturally they will be seeking the best possible terms (assuming their contract with LBA is coming up for renewal).

I suggested some time ago, and was shot down for suggesting it, that we and LBA mustn't take their tenure at the airport for granted as that would be a dangerous thing to do. Maybe they are flexing their muscles a little and we are seeing this by way of the delay in publishing their intended schedules going forward. Maybe, maybe not.

We should consider what LBA would look like as an operational airport without them. I agree that it is not quite as simple as that but that thought puts into context what may be going through peoples minds.

I think we must remember that whilst Jet2 do very well at LBA and it is their 'home' airport they too are a business and a successful one at that, they will always seek, rightly so, to obtain what they consider to be a satisfactory deal at all the airports they operate from. Their shareholders would expect that.

I wouldn't think they would want to exit LBA because they hold a dominant position there and do very well out of it but business is business and they, just like everyone else, have suffered due to the pandemic so quite naturally they will be seeking the best possible terms (assuming their contract with LBA is coming up for renewal).

I suggested some time ago, and was shot down for suggesting it, that we and LBA mustn't take their tenure at the airport for granted as that would be a dangerous thing to do. Maybe they are flexing their muscles a little and we are seeing this by way of the delay in publishing their intended schedules going forward. Maybe, maybe not.

We should consider what LBA would look like as an operational airport without them. I agree that it is not quite as simple as that but that thought puts into context what may be going through peoples minds.
Well said.

Jet2 have added more flights to Tenerife South from LBA. There’s now 2 flights a day to Tenerife on Fridays and Saturdays.

I think we all just need to calm down a little with this Winter 22/23 programme stuff.

We know the airport is undergoing, or wanting to anyway, a major change. We've all seen the plans and know that the potential site is down at the other end of the airport which accommodates a number of stands - usually occupied by Jet2 overnight and in winter for longer periods of time. We all know Jet2 pride themselves also on customer service something they've won many awards for and continue to do so. With that in mind it should be the conclusion that:

a) We are waiting on LBA Terminal approval from Gove.
b) The plans, timescales etc from the airport/building company - when will x stands be shut off? Where else will Jet2 be able to accommodate aircraft?
c) The plans, timescales etc from the airport/building company if (a) is not approved. We revert back to old plans regardless and that will disrupt customer experience for anyone using LBA who in turn are likely to be using Jet2. Therefore what time is the work likely to take place, which areas departures? Arrivals? Do you schedule loads of Winter Canary Island flights to arrive back bang in the middle of peak building work for the arrivals part? Likewise do you schedule loads of departures in the middle of building works for departures? Bare in mind Arrivals is a little easier to manage as it's tops +1 hour from arrival to driving away from airport, where as departures are anything from -3 hours.
d) @airforced I very much doubt Jet2 would walk away from a profitable base and a base in which they have earnt the lions share of the leisure markets. I will be happily wrong but I think this is points (a), (b) and (c) coming to fruition. Both parties waiting along with Ryanair also.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock