Advertisement

Advertisement

Scottie Dog

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Moderator #782
No problem. I'm out and about at the moment, but those will be the Lima remotes - taxiway Zulu is just a temporary designation until the end if this year. I don't see those stands being available until around Summer 2020 but I'll check later in the day for you.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Moderator #783
Just having a quick sandwich and I've found the document I needed in order to answer your question.

Although it is slightly old it does show a commencement date of 1st April (which was fairly accurate) and gives a completion of 17th March 2020.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Moderator #785
I think you may be wrong, or at least I hope you are, with regards to the "No Diversions" NOTAM.

Personally I believe the airport as failed to meet its target of having Pier One operational from 1st April. Okay, you may say, it came into use on that date however, if you look at post #778 by myself on 8th April, you will see that there are currently 11 stands that are not available for use. My thought is that once those stands become operational then the ban will be lifted.

As I say this is just my view as I have no direct involvement with MAG.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Admin #786
Some really great updates once again. The Manchester Airport Transformation Project is really taking shape. It's amazing how quickly it has all been achieved.

Feb 20, 2018
Toulouse
Am I being too of a forward thinker to ask about the plans for Piers B & C at T1? I hope they get rid of Pier B, but if they refurbished internally and externally Pier C, and modified the satellite end so aircraft can pass each other on the new dual taxiways, then maybe it could make a good base for EZY?? I assume TCX will eventually move into T2 next year/2021...?

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester
Am I being too of a forward thinker to ask about the plans for Piers B & C at T1? I hope they get rid of Pier B, but if they refurbished internally and externally Pier C, and modified the satellite end so aircraft can pass each other on the new dual taxiways, then maybe it could make a good base for EZY?? I assume TCX will eventually move into T2 next year/2021...?
Currently a modified Pier C is planned to become part of Terminal Two via an airside link.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Moderator #789
Thomas Cook are not due to move for a few years according to a comment in Weekly Update #82 which is in my post #741 dated 19th March.
The terminal extension opens next year, but then the current terminal closes for furbishment - that leaves an increase in passenger facility space but no extra pier served stand. Pier Three comes on line next, but that is not until 2021 or 2022 (mind blank for a moment), so i don't foresee any new carrier moving before that happens - bearing in mind that Jet2 are already making the move a bit at a time.

EGCC_MAN

Premium Member Plus
Feb 2, 2016
As you say, Jet2 are moving across to T2 in phases. Eurowings and Brussels Airlines switch at the end of this month. This raises the possibility that other Lufthansa Group carriers may follow in due course. Austrian, Swiss, Lufthansa themselves?

Billboy66

Sep 20, 2018
Wigan
I have read reports that at least some of the stands designated for Wide body aircraft on Pier 1 are not able to currently accommodate a 747 or A350. This has been put down to difficulties docking the new airbridges without potentially impacting the aircraft wing/engine in the case of the 747. The most recent OAN suggests two stands (106 and 110) are already cleared for 777-9, does that indicate that both stands can also accept both the 747 and A350 as I would imagine both of these types are narrower and shorter than a 777-9.

Will there be a need for the airport to modify the air bridges on the few stands designated for wide body aircraft? I’d imagine the supplier sold the air bridges as having the ability to dock to all aircraft types with the exception of the A380 so they would be liable.

I’m equally aware that there are a lot of people quick to knock the airport and the redevelopment, so it may just be people stirring things

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Moderator #794
Unfortunately my contact within MAG MANTP appears to have gone to ground this week and so I have no Weekly Update to provide.

Having said that I'm heading home after a photo session of my own and will hopefully have a limited set of shots to post on here later.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Moderator #795
Here are a selection of photos taken on today's visit to Manchester Airport.

Part 1

General view from T1 car park with Pier One in the background
IMG_6654.JPG

A closer view with 2 TUI aircraft - Stands 106 & 110 and a Virgin A330 on Stand 104 (to the right)
IMG_6760.JPG

The new Baggage Sortation (is that an English word?) unit being built behind the East Pier of the old T2
IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

Looking along the landside of the old T2 drop-off zone
IMG_6657.JPG
And the opposite direction show the new T2 drop-off zone in the next 2 shots
IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

The drop-off ramp for T2X from a different angle
IMG_6661.JPG

For those who know the area this photo was taken from the bottom of Staff West, with Pier One off to the left - the photo shows the initial groundwork (in the background) for the new Lima remote stands.
IMG_6663.JPG

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Moderator #796
Here are a selection of photos taken on today's visit to Manchester Airport.

Part 2

In an earlier post Marni1971 said the he could only get as far as level 4 in the new car park. The good news is that level 8 (the roof) is now accessible, however the view is not great due to vertical vanes on the surrounding fencing.
IMG_6669.JPG

IMG_6668.JPG

This shows the site of the taiway NA which is currently being remodelled into remote stands and that will finally form the west side of Pier Two
IMG_6670.JPG

Not a particularly good shot but you are looking over the top of Pier One with the site of the new Lima remote stands in the background
IMG_6671.JPG

Ground markings show the lead-in markings for stands 104-116
IMG_6762.JPG

Not directly relating to the MANTP project but there are 2 car park projects under way - the very large, and permanent, structure being built near to T3 - and the smaller car park under construction by T1 arrivals.
IMG_6674.JPG

IMG_6675.JPG

Advertisement

Top Bottom