Advertisement

Advertisement

Kraken

Dec 30, 2017
Nottingham
The current US Security is just a side table or two at the top of the stairs down to the airbridge at each gate. If you've been SSSS'd on your boarding card (so selected for the frisking) the light goes red when they scan your boarding pass at the gate. They keep your boarding pass & passport and [in the case of Virgin] you're taken to one side for a check of electronics / explosive trace swabbing of various parts of your person.

Last edited:

mode1

Nov 13, 2010
Just been thinking over the past couple of months about the original part of T2.
When that gets refurbished after the extension opens will all the exterior glazing be removed and replaced to match the extension and potentially be more thermally efficient?

tattyd

Nov 18, 2017
USA
Amazing update Marni, thanks! One thing that struck me was the length of the piers. Are they back to being full length or are the diagrams for piers 2 and 3 inaccurate?

That rendering of all 4 piers is something. One can dream.

@mode1 I think the style will remain at least, you can see where T2X meets the old building they've actually recreated the T2Classic exterior on the new building. I doubt they'd spend all that money on fully replacing the glazing, especially as they're quite allergic to using glass on the new buildings

mode1

Nov 13, 2010
Amazing update Marni, thanks! One thing that struck me was the length of the piers. Are they back to being full length or are the diagrams for piers 2 and 3 inaccurate?

@mode1 I think the style will remain at least, you can see where T2X meets the old building they've actually recreated the T2Classic exterior on the new building. I doubt they'd spend all that money on fully replacing the glazing, especially as they're quite allergic to using glass on the new buildings
Shame if they don't it will stand out and look slightly odd if it's not blended better from the outside.

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester

Thank you.

The gist I got was pier one will remain shorter for the foreseeable future. Pier 3 will be full length, possible from initial construction. Currently the indecision if pier 2 starts next confuses the issue if it’ll be built half length or full. Let’s hope for the latter instead of the proposed stub.

The massive bussing lounge facility is futureproofed, but does indicate they are perhaps assuming they’ll need to bus to the remotes where the pier ends should be.

Feb 20, 2018
Toulouse
Great report thanks!
With environmental topics always in the news these days, what is MAG doing in this respect?
Are these new buses electric? What are the sources of the utilities used for the current pier 1 and future new buildings?
Energy efficiencies can save money in the long term but we know MAG don’t think like that!

One last thing, once the new T2 extension opens, along with the bussing lounge and the new remote Zulu stands, can we expect Easyjet to make the move? Pier 2 will be ideal for them...?

Scottie Dog

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Personally I would expect EZY to stay at T1 as it's closer to the runways and they could make it an "Orange Terminal".

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester
Great report thanks!
With environmental topics always in the news these days, what is MAG doing in this respect?
Are these new buses electric? What are the sources of the utilities used for the current pier 1 and future new buildings?
Energy efficiencies can save money in the long term but we know MAG don’t think like that!

One last thing, once the new T2 extension opens, along with the bussing lounge and the new remote Zulu stands, can we expect Easyjet to make the move? Pier 2 will be ideal for them...?
One thing they hammered home was how environmentally friendly the new builds are; amount of glass, type of cladding and insulation etc

BlueManc

Nov 7, 2017
Manchester
Environmental policies can be found in the below. Not sure how much detail can be gleaned.

MAG Env Pol

"OUR VEHICLE FLEET We have a fleet of 118 operational vehicles. Increasingly stringent emissions standards have seen this fleet become cleaner over the years. European standard Euro V was introduced for vehicles certified after 2008. A newer standard, Euro VI, applies to vehicles certified from 2014. This will deliver an 80% reduction in NOx emissions and also halve particulate emissions. Low emission vehicles are now on the market and manufacturers are working on improvements to electric vehicles and hydrogen powered vehicles. We were the first airport in the UK to operate diesel/electric hybrid busses and will be introducing other low emission vehicles. We will develop and implement a Sustainable Vehicle Policy. Our aim is to have a fleet of vehicles that is no older than 6 years, or retrofitting exhaust abatement equipment where appropriate"

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester
I almost forgot...no info on pier C? Is it being half or fully chopped?
Be interesting to hear how they will work pier B with it to be split between 2 terminals...it’s bad enough now
Pier C is what you see in the slide photos, depending what day of the week it is it seems! As per last years talk, the official word was that it would be linked to T2 and in effect become Pier 4, although as you know from earlier discussions what length remains was unclear. I get the feeling MAG don’t exactly know either yet. An educated guess would say at least the 1974 section remains for quite a long time.

Pier B.... interestingly Rory was specific about the stands being split, with no mention of the physical pier. We’ve seen proposals to rebuild the pier (since half of it is vintage 1962 for a start) but there was an insinuation of stands only. We will see. Sadly the talk overran (or Happily) so the Q&A section was curtailed.

Feb 20, 2018
Toulouse
Thanks again for the detailed info Marni1971 much appreciated
If they refurbished Pier C for low cost airlines maybe it wouldn’t be so bad...if that’s possible with no airbridges for the likes of EZY...
I do hope pier B at least goes...1962 come on MAG bin it!!

tattyd

Nov 18, 2017
USA
Marni, it sounds like they went to a lot of effort to take about stands - both the remotes ("fully featured gates without a jetbridge") and also pier B ("split the stands between terminals"). I'm not sure of the significance of labouring these points. Any idea? Is there some kind of computer system all T2 stands need to be hooked into? What does splitting a stand mean? When is a remote not jetbridgeless gate? etc...

Thanks for the earlier answer re: pier lengths. Agree it seems MAG themselves are unsure of a lot of the details. Desperately hoping for a longer pier 2 as well...

RhysTheBeast

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2018
Manchester
Hmmm... Very interesting indeed... Thanks for the update Marni! I am still convinced that the best option going forward would be to extend T2 all the way across to T3 and possibly a Pier 5 added with T3 being the end Pier if you will. Possibly even extend T3 further towards the Airport Pub. What do you guys think?

Feb 20, 2018
Toulouse
I would personally love the see T2 extend to T3 after a demolition of T1, but I can’t see MAG removing all of T1.
Ref extending towards the airport pub, I think this has already been discussed and due to underground utilities in that area I think the cost was too high...at least for the next 10+ years...
Apart from being tight arses I fail see to see why they would keep 1962 pier B and 1970’s Pier C...I arrived back from Prague a few weeks ago on a jet 2 flight 757 fully loaded, we parked at stand 8 and had to wait in the pouring rain because it took an age for everyone to get through the narrow single door after we had gone through a shelter that resembles a shitty, minging & leaking inner city bus stop!

mullion

May 9, 2014
Remember if you close a pier you have to have somewhere to put flights whilst it is being rebuilt, if it was rebuilt it may have to be done in stages so as to keep part of it open at all times, I am sure there are plans that we are not privy too, remember Easy and the low cost airport don`t require airbridges and are not worried if you get a bit wet or windblown. If they could rebuild the pier it would be totally different now as it was built in an era when passengers could freely mix and I know this caused/s massive problems and I think we all know the pier is not fit for purpose but what do you do at the moment, my guess is wait till T2 is finished

RhysTheBeast

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2018
Manchester
If I remember correctly, it was said that T1 was no longer fit for purpose, and they would be looking at that after the Transformation Project was completed. If that is indeed the case, then we would have something to look forward to after all this is finished.

marni1971

Nov 21, 2017
Manchester
I would personally love the see T2 extend to T3 after a demolition of T1, but I can’t see MAG removing all of T1.
Ref extending towards the airport pub, I think this has already been discussed and due to underground utilities in that area I think the cost was too high...at least for the next 10+ years...
Apart from being tight arses I fail see to see why they would keep 1962 pier B and 1970’s Pier C...I arrived back from Prague a few weeks ago on a jet 2 flight 757 fully loaded, we parked at stand 8 and had to wait in the pouring rain because it took an age for everyone to get through the narrow single door after we had gone through a shelter that resembles a shitty, minging & leaking inner city bus stop!
Like this?

A5D8500D-5A1D-451D-AC9B-56165A2FC782.jpeg

I don’t recall where I got this and will say this is not happening any time soon!

Advertisement

Top Bottom