Some additional photos kindly supplied by an anonymous benefactor:

8c8d5de3f1e3b9414e67bff11baf1074.jpg

b67a7132f60245ba2a777d90daf8ac86.jpg

bc6efa195b8af508b204ced6f2be524b.jpg

0132b408fd69da9a56ea56dfcf8752f8.jpg

63b3803c46c523cc1c4cdee6272fb42c.jpg

045e5070d458f64f7440db0e6420d6a6.jpg

I believe this shot is of Level 4 which will be thecheckin hall.

a16c5a7fbeed836c395c37505150c9d8.jpg

0b6a2e40a9e691d1c6a31bb24522ff41.jpg

d8e25b2287641ac6889cef70011474ea.jpg

d01cd4ab512f9b407fd8c59b33a63591.jpg

The new "down ramp" for T2X.

9098b48278f9b416e8358737f3676a97.jpg

Some additional photos kindly supplied by an anonymous benefactor:

bc6efa195b8af508b204ced6f2be524b.jpg

0132b408fd69da9a56ea56dfcf8752f8.jpg

045e5070d458f64f7440db0e6420d6a6.jpg

I believe this shot is of Level 4 which will be thecheckin hall.

According the planning documents the check-in hall is on Level 2, which you can see from the upper two photos. The bottom one looks to be level 4.5, which is one of the few levels that does not line up with the original T2.

Manchester Airport celebrates one year of construction on its £1bn transformation programme
View Manchester Airport Transformation Programme - 1 year timelapse

View MAN-TP Video Tour - August 2018
MAN-TP Video Tour - August 2018
  • Work continuing at pace on scheme with first pier and aircraft stands set to open in 2019
  • More than £1m a day being spent that’s seen 1,200 jobs created so far
  • New time-lapse footage shows how the scheme has developed over the last 12 months
  • New video tour shows how the scheme will look when open for passengers
  • Infographic showcases the numbers and stats behind the build
Manchester Airport is marking one year of construction on the biggest investment project in its history by releasing stunning images showing the work completed so far.

The North’s global gateway is spending £1bn on transforming the airport, that will see Terminal 2 become 150% bigger than it currently is and become the focal point of the airport’s operations.

It today released time-lapse footage showing how the project has progressed over the past 12 months and a new video tour that gives passengers the chance to glimpse into the airport’s future.

The programme got under way a year ago after a visit by the Secretary of State for Transport, Chris Grayling. Since then, the airport’s skyline has changed dramatically as the first pier has been built and over 70% of the steelwork has been erected on the terminal extension.

It’s one of the biggest construction programmes in the North of England and there are currently 1,200 people working on site – including 80 apprentices, in trades ranging from plumbing and scaffolding to quantity surveying and civil engineering. At the peak of the project, at the beginning of 2019, it is expected that nearly 1,500 people will be working on site with a target of 150 apprentices.

Since the first spade went in the ground, £185m has been spent with SMEs in the supply chain within a 35-mile radius of the airport.

So far on the project, on the terminal extension and pier:
  • 14,500 pieces of steel have been installed
  • More than 6,700 components such as precast concrete delta beams, wall panels, and mega-risers have been manufactured offsite ready for on-site assembly
  • More than 41,000m3 of concrete have been placed
  • 1,745 miles of cable have been placed
Whilst out on the airfield:
  • Over 35,000sqm of lean mix and pavement quality concrete (PQC) has been placed, the equivalent of five football pitches
  • A further 55,000sqm of pavement quality concrete will be laid in the first phase
  • Around 10,000m of ducts for Aeronautical Ground lights (AGL) and power have been constructed
  • The first airfield stands were handed back in May and June
Andrew Cowan, CEO of Manchester Airport, said: “This is the largest investment ever made in the airport and will transform the experience for our passengers and airlines alike, as well as creating job and training opportunities for local people and boosting businesses working on the scheme in the process.

"I’m excited to see the first pier open to passengers in just eight months' time and to press ahead with the rest of the scheme, especially the new terminal building, which is in course to be open to passengers by mid-2020.

“Walking around the site, you really get a scale for how big the project is and the benefits its delivering for not only people securing jobs on the site but also the companies from across the North working on the scheme."

The first pier is set to open to passengers in April 2019. At 216m long if it was stood upright it would be the tallest building in Manchester. The terminal extension is on course to open in 2020.

To enable the new pier and terminal extension to be constructed, work has also been progressing on the airfield. In the first phase of airfield works, the apron has been extended to the west; including new taxiways and apron reconfiguration to allow the pier and additional aircraft stands to be used.

The second phase, which began in June 2018 involves a new taxiway, increasing the capacity of existing taxiways, new aircraft stands and AGL replacement and installation and is part of the reconfiguration of the airfield that will help to feed the redeveloped Terminal 2.

These phases of the works will see 148,000m2 of new taxiway and apron, 95,000m3 of concrete poured and 25miles of cabling installed with the aim of all excavated material being diverted from landfill throughout. The work is due to be completed by July 2020.

Looking further ahead, after the terminal extension the next pier is scheduled to open in 2022 and the refurbishment of the existing Terminal 2 building will also be completed that year. Terminal 1 is currently scheduled to close by 2023 with the third pier set to open in 2024. Once completed, Terminal 2 will have capacity to handle over 35 million passengers a year.

The time-lapse footage released shows how the project has developed from the initial works that saw a temporary gate lounge being built to the building of the pier and steelwork for the terminal extension being erected. Whilst the new video tour shows how the pier and terminal extension currently look and show case how they will look when open to passengers using the latest CGIs.

Bryan Glass, Laing O'Rourke Project Director, said: “We’re on schedule to deliver the transformation of Terminal 2 and that certainty of delivery has been driven by our offsite construction approach, with elements of the project manufactured offsite and assembled by our expert project team and technicians. There’s no room for complacency of course! Our team is focused on the next milestone – hand over of the first pier in January 2019.”

Colin Abbot, Galliford Try Aviation Director, said: “We have achieved a tremendous amount in just one year. We have developed a meticulously planned programme of works on the airfield that allows the airport to remain fully operational, whilst we deliver a larger and more efficient layout of the new and existing aprons and taxiways with new lighting and services.

“Galliford Try are incredibly proud to be working on this project that will see it transform Manchester Airport for years to come.”

Manchester Airport

Another update from our anonymous contributor.

38e63bd8186b3bd364cfcc34a9132caa.jpg

2b05b6bfbd2450dd57a2befa0c3b4d82.jpg

This shot, along with the next, appears to show the Link Connector, now attached to T2X.

d3b8ad582f01f262e23f0f648553f48d.jpg

Another view of, based on my limited knowledge, the Link Connector now connected to the main extension structure.

51dde2676e5410618a8431bf9d71f63e.jpg

ef3e572cb1d7e85db104dbe9053cb538.jpg

1486b3ad4ba89e978d1a11381bad452f.jpg

The latest update from PlaneTalk will follow shortly.

Last edited:
I have to say what great reports Scottie dog, the development looks to be progressing very well. I m certainly looking forward to it opening next year and the further two piers coming online over the next few years.

I was surprised to hear from one of the reports above about the final capacity of T2 once it is all complete will be 35 million per year ... a very similar figure to T5 at Heathrow !!
T2 together with T3 would give a capacity of around 40/42 million ?? I guess ... (Once all is completed)
Would be nice to see T3 improved in time, to better cater for the flights/aircraft that it currently handles (that it wasn’t designed for)

Looking like a good project. I like how one of the images shows that Gates 202-211 are still there, I thought these were going?

Also I'm guessing that the Airbridges on Pier C will also be replaced with the new ones that the Piers will have?

Good question, is the plan to still have stands (although remote) between the piers facing the terminal building?

It also looks like the pier C area facing T2 is having it's stands removed? In the photo of the overall plan, 22/24/26/28/32 look as if there are no.airbridges present, just the other side. They need replacing now looking at the state of them!

Looking like a good project. I like how one of the images shows that Gates 202-211 are still there, I thought these were going?

Also I'm guessing that the Airbridges on Pier C will also be replaced with the new ones that the Piers will have?
202-211 will be removed eventually. They’ll stay until they get in the way of building pier three and then pier two. 201 may remain.

It’s possible one gate on pier C will be removed, and another downsized. This seems to be still in a state of flux since the plan of retaining the satellite and not building T2 pier 4 (as I referenced above) happened since the TP began.

I’ve finally got around to making a composite from the images shown at the TAS TP public presentation. It’s as accurate as I can make it. Everything should be placed correctly but small areas may not be exactly to correct scale.

Areas of note are the new "kinked" Lima at its west end to accommodate extra remote parking as opposed to a 90 degree corner, the 8/9 remote gates retained along the cargo centre / hangers edge, the new double (or triple!) links to the runways between pier B and the hangers, and the retained but reduced capacity Pier C and its associated airside link to T2 east.

Also note there is no remote bussing lounge included on pier three (which we are assured is happening) and also pier two is at its eventual completed length.

View attachment 9651

An excellent update diagram marni1971. Very many thanks.

One small point (quesstion), I wonder why there is a gap in the stand numbers on each pier?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock