Great images it’s amazing seeing the progress pacing along. Looking forward to the final result and the demolition of T1, the only thing i’ll miss is level 13.

Love the aerial shots. I really hope they find a way to make the dropoff zone blend a little bit more seamlessly between legacy T2 and T2X...

Has anybody found any trip reports from pax travelling through Pier 1? I'm really curious to hear what the passenger experience is like.

Love the aerial shots. I really hope they find a way to make the dropoff zone blend a little bit more seamlessly between legacy T2 and T2X...

Has anybody found any trip reports from pax travelling through Pier 1? I'm really curious to hear what the passenger experience is like.

Hi, first post but long time lurker.

I had the pleasure of flying from Pier 1 in May with my wife and 2 young daughters (1 & 5). We found the new pier excellent, it was light and airy, plenty of seating and great views out of the windows. The toilets are a massive improvement then what's in the old part of the terminal including the baby changing facilities. There were charging facilities scattered around near the gates as well as water fountains near the toilets.
The only poor point were the quiet gate announcements unless directly under the speaker.
The walk isn't too bad, we went from gate A12? (The one at the end!). It would be a lot less walking when the T2 extension opens.

Overall, if the rest of T2 is done as well as Pier 1, it will be great. But that's just my opinion and I'm not a frequent flyer, just someone going on their family holiday.

110012 - firstly a big welcome to F4A and thank you for your comments on your Pier One experience.

I did read some where else about the poor quality of the individual gate announcements and so I will pass your comment on to a member of the MANTP team - in the hope that this be corrected.

Some excellent pictures there. Thanks for posting.

It’s a little sad to finally see the little new part of T2X that matches the legacy design, only for it then to turn into the office block appearance.

View attachment 13484

Looking forward to the continued progression to next April.

It’s a little sad to finally see the little new part of T2X that matches the legacy design, only for it then to turn into the office block appearance.

Bless them!! At least they tried! I wish the energy could have been channeled to make the old building look newer (e.g. around check in), but I guess we can't have everything :)

(At least there'll be floor to ceiling glass windows in that part of T2X...)

We found the new pier excellent, it was light and airy, plenty of seating and great views out of the windows. The toilets are a massive improvement then what's in the old part of the terminal including the baby changing facilities.

Thanks so much for the report! I'm excited to travel through there. One thing I wasn't sure from the photos was whether it would feel spartan or futuristic. (There's a lot of hard surfaces and exposed corrugated metal - could go either way). Sounds like it feels good and airy!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I did try to get some pictures but only managed the one while waiting to board. It's the joys of travelling with kids!
View attachment 13486

I think that most surfaces have been painted white softened the exposed nature of the pier. This along with the large windows helped with the lightness.
The photo was taken at 6.30am on an overcast day, so hopefully this will give you an idea of what it's like on a normal Manchester day.

Some of the images i’ve seen for security look like it’s carpeted...I hope my eyes are deceiving me, carpet does not go well at Manchester! It’ll be dirty too quickly. I’m still waiting for T3 to get rid of their’s in the arrivals level

Some of the images i’ve seen for security look like it’s carpeted...I hope my eyes are deceiving me, carpet does not go well at Manchester! It’ll be dirty too quickly. I’m still waiting for T3 to get rid of their’s in the arrivals level

I must admit that I haven't seen any other comments with regards to flooring, but I would agree that carpets are not a good idea -only my personal view.

Time for a personal update on the progress being made and I have also taken the liberty of including a couple of photos from across at T3.

Part 1

View across the new drop-off ramp to one of the two entrances to T2X departures level.
View attachment 13498

Close up of the departures entrance
View attachment 13499

View from T2X multi-storey car park showing the new remote stands under construction
View attachment 13500

View across to the Lima remote stands under construction
View attachment 13501

View looking back down on the T2X departure ramp from the new multi-storey car park
View attachment 13502

New T2 baggage sortation hall
View attachment 13503

Part 2

Nice to see the Cathay A350 on stand 106 in the background on Pier One

We have heard rumours that Thoas Cook might be selling their hangar, but the loss of the logo off the hangar door makes it look sad!!
View attachment 13505

Air Transat on a remote with passengers having been bussed over - it seemed to take forever for them to get onboard

Work continues at a great pace on the new multi-storey car park beyond T3
View attachment 13508

While at T1 the much smaller car park seems to be taking forever to be finished!
View attachment 13509

Inbound Virgin A330-200

Looking at the new T1 car park, my initial thought was, why on Earth are they doing a car park there? If T1 is going to be demolished at some point... Then I had a look at the overheads, and thought, actually, that might not be too bad, though I would question keeping it if they were to extend T2 all the way over to T3 and use the end of T3 as the last pier in the whole setup.

Rhys

Looking at the T1 car park I must be honest and say that it looks so small and is possibly a temporary structure built to last just a few years.

The UK has a fine history of temporary structures - some so temporary they are still there in 50 years! :)

@Mathew Richards I tend to agree with you but I expect it's been done for a good reason. Airport Central Screening Zones can get very busy and very noisy. Carpeting the busiest areas will reduce noise levels. Autistic people in particular can get very unnerved passing through airports and something as simple as adding carpet to the busiest places can reduce the noise and stress for passengers and staff alike.

Does your statement indicate it is being carpeted? I understand where your coming from, however, it won’t be looked after...and will not create a good impression...

No not at all but if it is indeed the case I would expect much thought will have gone into it. I agree carpet does not always wear well but if it keeps the noise down I can understand why the airport might use carpet. I say that having worked in that environment so I can say on good authority that a CSZ area can get extremely noisy which can reduce the overall customer experience.

110012 - firstly a big welcome to F4A and thank you for your comments on your Pier One experience.

I did read some where else about the poor quality of the individual gate announcements and so I will pass your comment on to a member of the MANTP team - in the hope that this be corrected.

Just yo confirm that I've spoken to the MANTP team and they're grateful for your feed back and will investigate the gate announcement problem with a view to fixing it.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock