A very quick visit to the airport, for a meeting, meant that I was able to get a coupleof photos over at T2.

The first time that I have seen an aircraft (the Ethiopian) on what appears to be remote stand 114

As stated in the latest MANTP Update, safety netting has been installed in preparation for the installation of the ETFE roofing on the canopy outside departures at T2X

So, last nights MANTP TAS presentation. This was a public meeting so no secrets!

Not a lot of new news, more a recap. Apparently around half the budget has been spent to date, and there’s now 98 qualified drivers for the new air bridges.

The slides will speak for themselves mostly (not the best quality I’m afraid)

View attachment 14185View attachment 14186

Upper level; the corridor above “The Bridgewater Exchange” will lead to “executive” lounges including Virgin:

View attachment 14187

Blast considerations and multiple simultaneous pushback:

View attachment 14188View attachment 14189View attachment 14190

Last edited:
Some other points:

The M56 link and 1993 MSCP expansion / level 4 drop off adaptation may not happen.

Pier 4 is still a possibility; if it happens it’s not part of MAN-TP but the project will allow for it to be added in the future.

Renaming of taxiways etc. will be in stages beginning this December

All the west side pier one gates are identical for both type serviceable, layout and location of everything. Same for at least the seven Zulu remote stands furthest north west. These remotes are “gates without air bridges” - serviced by busses but with the same facilities as a contact gate. Speaking of busses there’s new ones on the way:

CF9F6355-8285-418E-8E97-E142E035FA60.jpeg

Much was made of the slide in my earlier post showing the travel time for the busses. They’re confident the new airside perimeter only road layout will expedite bus times.

Eventually the west side pier B gates will become T2, the east side T3. What happens to the actual pier was unclear.

The big revelation (or not) was something to be announced soon - the next pier built may be pier 2 and then followed by pier 3. This hint was given some weight with the slide above showing state of play for 2020, with the large “pier 2 construction” zone. Still in discussion so we will see.

This is an interesting photo as it shows facilities for US Security.

96-EF2-EED-5-D45-432-C-9-FEC-E888409-AA0-B6.jpg

The current US Security is just a side table or two at the top of the stairs down to the airbridge at each gate. If you've been SSSS'd on your boarding card (so selected for the frisking) the light goes red when they scan your boarding pass at the gate. They keep your boarding pass & passport and [in the case of Virgin] you're taken to one side for a check of electronics / explosive trace swabbing of various parts of your person.

Last edited:
Amazing update Marni, thanks! One thing that struck me was the length of the piers. Are they back to being full length or are the diagrams for piers 2 and 3 inaccurate?

That rendering of all 4 piers is something. One can dream.

@mode1 I think the style will remain at least, you can see where T2X meets the old building they've actually recreated the T2Classic exterior on the new building. I doubt they'd spend all that money on fully replacing the glazing, especially as they're quite allergic to using glass on the new buildings

Amazing update Marni, thanks! One thing that struck me was the length of the piers. Are they back to being full length or are the diagrams for piers 2 and 3 inaccurate?

That rendering of all 4 piers is something. One can dream.

Thank you.

The gist I got was pier one will remain shorter for the foreseeable future. Pier 3 will be full length, possible from initial construction. Currently the indecision if pier 2 starts next confuses the issue if it’ll be built half length or full. Let’s hope for the latter instead of the proposed stub.

The massive bussing lounge facility is futureproofed, but does indicate they are perhaps assuming they’ll need to bus to the remotes where the pier ends should be.

Great report thanks!
With environmental topics always in the news these days, what is MAG doing in this respect?
Are these new buses electric? What are the sources of the utilities used for the current pier 1 and future new buildings?
Energy efficiencies can save money in the long term but we know MAG don’t think like that!

One last thing, once the new T2 extension opens, along with the bussing lounge and the new remote Zulu stands, can we expect Easyjet to make the move? Pier 2 will be ideal for them...?

Personally I would expect EZY to stay at T1 as it's closer to the runways and they could make it an "Orange Terminal".

Great report thanks!
With environmental topics always in the news these days, what is MAG doing in this respect?
Are these new buses electric? What are the sources of the utilities used for the current pier 1 and future new buildings?
Energy efficiencies can save money in the long term but we know MAG don’t think like that!

One last thing, once the new T2 extension opens, along with the bussing lounge and the new remote Zulu stands, can we expect Easyjet to make the move? Pier 2 will be ideal for them...?
One thing they hammered home was how environmentally friendly the new builds are; amount of glass, type of cladding and insulation etc

Environmental policies can be found in the below. Not sure how much detail can be gleaned.

MAG Env Pol

"OUR VEHICLE FLEET We have a fleet of 118 operational vehicles. Increasingly stringent emissions standards have seen this fleet become cleaner over the years. European standard Euro V was introduced for vehicles certified after 2008. A newer standard, Euro VI, applies to vehicles certified from 2014. This will deliver an 80% reduction in NOx emissions and also halve particulate emissions. Low emission vehicles are now on the market and manufacturers are working on improvements to electric vehicles and hydrogen powered vehicles. We were the first airport in the UK to operate diesel/electric hybrid busses and will be introducing other low emission vehicles. We will develop and implement a Sustainable Vehicle Policy. Our aim is to have a fleet of vehicles that is no older than 6 years, or retrofitting exhaust abatement equipment where appropriate"

I almost forgot...no info on pier C? Is it being half or fully chopped?
Be interesting to hear how they will work pier B with it to be split between 2 terminals...it’s bad enough now

I almost forgot...no info on pier C? Is it being half or fully chopped?
Be interesting to hear how they will work pier B with it to be split between 2 terminals...it’s bad enough now
Pier C is what you see in the slide photos, depending what day of the week it is it seems! As per last years talk, the official word was that it would be linked to T2 and in effect become Pier 4, although as you know from earlier discussions what length remains was unclear. I get the feeling MAG don’t exactly know either yet. An educated guess would say at least the 1974 section remains for quite a long time.

Pier B.... interestingly Rory was specific about the stands being split, with no mention of the physical pier. We’ve seen proposals to rebuild the pier (since half of it is vintage 1962 for a start) but there was an insinuation of stands only. We will see. Sadly the talk overran (or Happily) so the Q&A section was curtailed.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock