Stargazing

Kevin Farnell

May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
Just had a walk to the local Co-op and managed to see Jupiter and Saturn. Also, Mars is clearly visible in fairly close proximity to the moon (at around 5:30pm).
For anyone interested, there is an excellent free astronomy program called Stellarium and available from here -

It's available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Kevin

superking

Premium Member
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2013
Not many chances to see much of stars this way for weeks now due overcast. Location is south west.

Kevin Farnell

May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
I've watched several of the SpaceX Falcon 9 launches and it never fails to amaze me, when watching the first stage land on the 'drone ship'. The first one I watched had me thinking 'is this a simulation?'.
I also love the names given to the 'drone ships'. Two that I recall are 'Just Read the Instructions' and 'Of Course I Still Love You'.

Kevin

Kevin Farnell

May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
Just watched the landing of NASA's Mars Perseverance Rover live from NASA via the BBC. Looks to be a good landing. So much exciting science to come from this mission. A lot of jubilant NASA employees!
Sorry, I only caught this at the last minute, otherwise I would have posted a link.

Kevin

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
I see "Perseverance" has landed on Mars. You'd think after space exploration since 1958 NASA would be able to finally manage the odd colour photo or two of the landing.

Last edited:

Kevin Farnell

May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
I see "Perseverance" has landed on Mars. You'd think after space exploration since 1958 NASA would be able to finally manage the odd colour photo or two of the landing.
Is this what you wanted Aviador?

50960225487_0b99323b1e_b.jpg

Credit NASA for the photo via BBC

Kevin

Kevin Farnell

May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
That is an amazing photo!
Apparently its taken from the rocket cradle that was used to lower the Perseverance Rover to the surface. The Rover is currently streaming a large amount of data back and NASA will release more photos in due course.

I can't wait to see the 'helicopter' in operation.

Kevin

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.