Hoping something good arises from this endeavour, I struggle to see what good comes from looking backwards in time, it may satisfy Physicists and loosely Historians or Theologians but not my little brain! I agree with others, the images will perhaps be something else to behold.

Hoping something good arises from this endeavour, I struggle to see what good comes from looking backwards in time, it may satisfy Physicists and loosely Historians or Theologians but not my little brain! I agree with others, the images will perhaps be something else to behold.
Part of the mission is also to look for more exoplanets in star systems which could one day be explored by mankind and also learning about the universe billions of years ago can only expand our scientific knowledge of the universe and how it was formed.

Yes, it may satisfy the Historian but can it solve the problems of today? I am not against the telescope just being Devil's advocate! or a bloody minded lawyer, take your pick!

Yes, it may satisfy the Historian but can it solve the problems of today?
It will help add knowledge to the overall Scientific database. We never know when this newly acquired knowledge may be of benefit, but it will have it's uses at some point. The Human race is an inquisitive species and without that, I doubt we would have progressed further than living in caves. In fact, fire and the wheel would probably have been beyond us. More likely our species would have become extinct. We need exploration, to satisfy our hunger for advancement.
With all due respect, Human Laws are just that - Human Laws. These can be interpreted differently in different countries, or even different times and do not apply to other species (when Humans are extinct, so will be their Laws). The laws of Physics (or the Laws of the Universe) are universal. Humans cannot put forward an argument against Physical Laws, and thus have them changed. We can only observe and revise our understanding based on new facts. A great example, is that Newton's Laws of Motion still perfectly describe the motion of the planets in the Solar system (and, thus the graviational effects they have on each other). However, on a much grander scale they break down and it took Einstein to develop his Theory of Relativity to explain new observations. Observations that came about from advancements in Scientific knowledge. Perhaps, the James Webb Telescope will reveal new data that will require amendments to the Theory of Relativity - only time will tell.

Kevin

I agree totally about human laws, so open to interpretation and terribly complex to a practitioner, and I add again, for the benefit of members, I do not practice the law, just avail myself of the subject in specific areas. As fascinating to me as a science is to a Scientist.

I am probably not making myself clear with regards to the telescope, partly because of the absence of sufficient knowledge and skills to put across my views satisfactorily. For that, I apologise.

The delightful Dr Rebecca 'Becky' Smethurst has just released a YouTube video, featuring the planetary alignment that I previously referred to (along with other Astronomical delights, such as the bright light that will pass over the UK at around 6:50am on the 25th Dec - is it Father Christmas' sleigh, or the International Space Station?). The planetary alignment is the first part of the video, so you don't need to watch it all, but there are other delights included.

Kevin

New one of mine - moon with some cloud.

E.
DSC-1083-Edit-2.jpg

Just had a great view of the Moon showing as a crescent (tipped back about 45degrees), with Jupiter directly above it. Also visible, was the Earthshine on the Moon. The crescent is lit directly by the Sun, but the unlit portion gets light reflected back from the Earth making it faintly visible. Looks great, but very difficult to photograph as the crescent is so bright.
The Moon is now below the horizon from the UK, but might be worth looking out for tomorrow just after dark (weather permitting).

Kevin

Just back from a walk to the local shop and got chatting to my neighbour. While we talked, we were looking at the stars and I noticed a faint light moving slowly across the sly. There were no strobes, so I assumed it was a satellite. It then grew brighter (brighter than any of the stars and I wondered if an aircraft had turned on it's landing lights) before fading. The whole thing only lasted about 2 to 3 seconds and it only travelled a small distance in that time. It seemed to be too slow to be a meteor, so was it possibly some space junk burning up?

Kevin

We spent a week in a farm cottage in the Yorkshire Dales a few weeks ago. The night sky was phenomenal. You don't appreciate just how many stars you can see when your in the heavily lit urban areas.

That'll be me then on Sunday morning. Where in the sky will I need to look?
Using my free (and highly recommended) Stellarium program, I fast forwarded to 05:00 on 1 May and found it to be in the East. Be aware that it's very low to the horizon and as dawn is breaking, so there may not be long to view it.

Kevin

Nature called at 5.10 this morning however, using the forced opportunity of being awake, I opened the window to look for Venus & Jupiter and, instead of a wonderful view, all that befell me was the patter of raindrops.

Oh well, we can't win them all and at least the reason for up was not totally wasted!!

I really must get my Celeston astronomical telescope out of storage and use the warmer, though of course lighter, evening to view the night sky.

The same for me . I was up for work bright and early but it was raining here too sadly.

We need the rain on the East Coast. (Don't tell the holidaymakers I said that)
Shhhh!!! I always remember one year my dad saying we need rain around this time of the year and then it seemed to rain for the rest of the summer.

NASA Artemis Launch

NASA are due to launch their new Artemis rocket today at 12:33 GMT (13:33 BST), weather and other events permitting.
I'm very much looking forward to this launch and I hope everything goes as planned. Apart from the boosters strapped to the side, the design looks very similar to a Saturn V to me, although, I guess that the technology has moved on significantly.
Also, I believe that 'Artemis' was the sister of 'Apollo' (as well as being 'Goddess of the Moon'), in Greek mythology, so quite a fitting name for NASA's next generation Moon (and possibly further) launch vehicle.

Kevin

Apart from the boosters strapped to the side, the design looks very similar to a Saturn V to me, although
It's like nasa have taken a step back from what was a reusable vehicle back to a multi stage mostly disposable vehicle as only the cockpit module and boosters will be able to be reused I believe.
It's definitely exciting times because this marks the beginning of not just mankind returning to the Moon but mankind going too Mars.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock