Well that was unfortunately a "non-event". I think that if I looked really hard I might have persuaded myself that a slightly pink patch of cloud had been caused by the eclipse.

Well that was unfortunately a "non-event".
Same here, just north of Cambridge. We haven't seen a cloud in weeks, then the day that a lunar eclipse is due we have almost continuous thunderstorms from mid afternoon to around 8.30pm. The storm has ended, but the sky is still overcast :(

Kevin

Super Blood Wolf Moon

A 'super blood wolf moon' (no, I don't know either!) is predicted for the early hours of Monday 21 Jan 2019.
It starts at 02.37 and finishes at 07.48. Totality is between 04.41and 05.43.
I understand that a 'Super Moon' is when the Moon is closer to Earth in it's orbit and that the 'Blood' refers to the red colour during totality, from the light refracted through the Earth's atmosphere. I don't know what 'Wolf' refers to.
Weather is predicted to be clouds, but with some breaks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46908305

Happy Moongazing!

Kevin

A fascinating video from Youtuber Anton Petrov. Basically, it's an incredible photo of a section of the Universe, compiled over many years from data from the Hubble Space Telescope.
I've watched several of Anton's videos, and he is always clear and concise in his explanations and never goes deeply into the maths or physics of the subject.

The video can be found here -

And the image that he refers to can be downloaded for free from here (be warned, they are huge files and he states it crashed his computer when he first tried to open it) -

Hubble Space Telescope image

Kevin

The Great Conjunction

The two largest planets in the Solar System (Jupiter and Saturn) are at a point in their orbits where they will be at their closest for nearly 800 years on 21 Dec 2020. They will be approximately 1/5 the diameter of the Moon apart and visible (British weather permitting) low in the sky to the S/SW just after sunset (around 5pm is a good time). Easily visible to the naked eye, but better through Binoculars or a telescope with which you may also be able to pick out the Galilean moons around Jupiter. They will still be close for several days after the 21st and will not be this close again for another 60 years. A once in a lifetime opportunity.

Kevin

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock