Bruckner Symphony no. 3, a massive piece of work. Classical education is beneficial but it is magnificent. I sincerely recommend the first movement, sets up for the remainder of the symphony. Please give it a moment of your time. I further recommend the third movement. Very dynamic in a classical sense.

Last edited:
Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond (here, performed live in Pompeii 2016, by David Gilmour - former Guitarist with Pink Floyd)

This piece of music is one of two on the album 'Wish You Were Here' (the other being the title song 'Wish You Were Here') about Syd Barrett. Syd was one of the founder members of Pink Floyd, but left the band due to mental health issues. Sadly, Syd passed away some years ago from pancreatic cancer.

If you've watched any TV documentaries on nature over the last 40 years or so, you will be familiar with the start of this piece.

Kevin

AC/DC - For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)

From the delicate beauty of Pink Floyd, to the driving rock of AC/DC. AC/DC being the masters of the 'Guitar Riff'. Like my food, I'm not scared of my music being 'spicy'!

Kevin

I, regretfully, cannot warm to Rock music because I was never exposed to it early enough.

Bruckner Symphony no. 3, a massive piece of work. Please give it a moment of your time.

You ask me to listen to your recommended piece of music, but dismiss mine without apparently giving it the time of day (well, a little over 7 minutes to be more accurate - 'Rainbow Eyes'). It's a beautiful, delicate piece and I doubt anything like you class rock music to be.

In the 'Stargazing' thread, you state 'I struggle to see what good comes from looking backwards in time' (sorry, I cant seem to multi quote across threads), but isn't that exactly what you're doing. listening to classical music written hundreds of years ago?

I'm open minded, and will give any genre of music a try (except, Opera. To me it's the musical equivalent of 'dragging fingernails down a blackboard'. And yes, I have been exposed to it from a young age as my parents would sometimes listen to it in the car). I hate it!

If you wish me to listen to your recommendations, you also need to be open to those of mine.

Kevin

Rush - Losing It

A beautiful and delicate song, from the album 'Signals', regarding coming to terms with growing older. Rush touch on this in a couple of their songs (the other being 'Time Stand Still').

As I've said before, the lyrics of Rush, written by the late Neil Peart (also the bands drummer) can be read as poetry. I've included the lyrics below (they're freely available on the internet).

"Losing It"

The dancer slows her frantic pace
In pain and desperation
Her aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through her memory
The echoes of old applause

She limps across the floor
And closes her bedroom door...

The writer stares with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined
And streaked with tears of rage

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more...

Some are born to move the world
to live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...

Kevin

I am suitably admonished Kevin. I will stick to what I like listening to and I have tried the other stuff and cannot get inside. The point in my view of Classical is that it endures over the centuries if good enough. As do the Beatles and no doubt, Queen.

I think you already know of my appreciation of Led Zeppelin, Ray! The great thing about Led Zeppelin, is that there is no 'typical' Led Zeppelin sound. They are equally at home playing the softest ballads to hard driving rock, stopping off for a little blues rock on the way.

Kevin

With due deference to more educated members, May I recommend Gustav Mahler symphony no. 2. I am In need currently for spiritual sustenance and this music fits the need entirely. As at usual, headphones are necessary.

Bat Out of Hell.....jump in the car.....turn it up loud and drive....where?.....it really doesn't matter.

My favourite Meat Loaf song.

Life is a Lemon and I Want My Money Back

Ray, that is down to be played at my funeral (as well as a number of others). I believe in planning ahead and have changed my music choices on a regular basis but this track remains constant.

Scorpions - Still Loving You

A German Rock band, who I feel never get the recognition that they truly deserve (at least in the UK).
I love the part at 2mins 10 seconds, when Klaus Meine gets the audience to sing along. I've been at concerts where that happened and have to say that the adrenalin rush is intoxicating.

Kevin

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock