I always thought Depeche Mode were under rated. They had a unique style nothing like any other band in my opinion.

Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers

It's the weekend. Time to switch off from all of the stresses of the week gone by. For me, one way is to listen to the music I love -

By the way, the singer (Ian Gillan) was also the lead role on the album version of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Jesus Christ Superstar'.

Kevin

I saw Deep Purple at Birmingham Town Hall way back in the seventies and four weeks ago my wife and I saw Queen at the Utility Arena who were fantastic. It was my first visit to Brum for over five years its impressive and we stayed overnight but to be honest we much prefer the semi-rural life these days. We'll be back in town for the Commwealth games twenty twenty semi final at Edgbaston on 30th July.

I've digressed again 😔

I saw Deep Purple at Birmingham Town Hall way back in the seventies
Wow. Did they perform 'Child in Time'?
I saw them at the NEC, but can't remember the year although it must have been at least 15 years ago. What I do remember, was that the late Jon Lord (keyboards) was retiring and played the first half of the show, whilst their new keyboard player played the second half. Also, there were a video crew on stage trying to record the show. Ian Gillan (who then had short hair), seemed to take issue with them and kept pushing them away until they eventually left the stage. This annoyed me, because I would have loved to get a copy of the concert I attended. Other than that, the concert was excellent.

Kevin

Wow. Did they perform 'Child in Time'?
I saw them at the NEC, but can't remember the year although it must have been at least 15 years ago. What I do remember, was that the late Jon Lord (keyboards) was retiring and played the first half of the show, whilst their new keyboard player played the second half. Also, there were a video crew on stage trying to record the show. Ian Gillan (who then had short hair), seemed to take issue with them and kept pushing them away until they eventually left the stage. This annoyed me, because I would have loved to get a copy of the concert I attended. Other than that, the concert was excellent.

Kevin

To be honest Kevin I can't remember, Birmingham Town Hall was a fantastic place for rock music small enough fto be close but big enough to create a great atmosphere plus good acoustics I saw Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and The Who all in there pomp amongst others there, mind you Queen the other night were superb. Also used to go the Belfry regularly and Solihull Civic Hall but by then I was engaged so ended up with the likes of Mungo Jerry, Marmalade and the Applejacks you might need to Google the last two?

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest Kevin I can't remember, Birmingham Town Hall was a fantastic place for rock music small enough fto be close but big enough to create a great atmosphere plus good acoustics I saw Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and The Who all in there pomp amongst others there, mind you Queen the other night were superb. Also used to go the Belfry regularly and Solihull Civic Hall but by then I was engaged so ended up with the likes of Mungo Jerry, Marmalade and the Applejacks you might need to Google the last two?
I'm quite jealous that you got to see Led Zeppelin, especially in a venue like Birmingham Town Hall. I have seen Robert Plant in concert twice. The first time was at the Birmingham Odeon on Christmas Eve on his 'Pictures at Eleven' tour. I was so disappointed when I opened the program and it stated 'tonight there will be no Led Zeppelin'. The second time was at the NEC and he performed plenty of Led Zeppelin songs, so I was a happy bunny.
I've been to concerts at the Town Hall twice. Both to Blues artist Buddy Guy. The first time he was exceptionally good and when 12 months later another concert was announced I told all my friends and colleagues that they had to see him. So a large group of us went along. He was terrible! He had no interest in the concert. He kept putting his guitar down, leaving the stage and spending his time with some woman in the audience. He got booed off the stage and the crowd were calling for the support band to come back on.

Kevin

I love the Blues, whether traditional or 'Blues Rock' such as Led Zeppelin. Many years ago, I saw B.B. King at symphony hall. The concert was outstandingly good. He was such a showman.

Kevin

The Adventures - Broken Land

I saw this band many years ago, at the Birmingham NEC. If my memory serves me correctly, they were the support act for Fleetwood Mac's 'Tango in the Night' tour.

Or, if you prefer a slower live version -

Kevin

Hazel O'Connor - Will You?

or alternatively, a live version -

Is it Pop, Rock, Punk, Jazz? I don't care, I think it's brilliant and totally underrated. That Saxophone is incredible.

Kevin

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock