We had the same happen in the Aviador residence. I always use the excuse that my birthday has to pass before we can consider Christmas décor. It's bought me a few more days but I expect I'll be having the same argument again in a day or two. It becomes harder and harder to win when we're passing illuminated homes on our daily walk.

PS. A great track that never ages.
Apparently it does age.

Some words are not suitable for the the modern ear it seems. The thinking behind this appears very selective in that '****' is being removed whilst 'scumbag' remains. There is another word also being replaced that in an alternative sense can mean bundles of wood for lighting a fire or a ball of meat mixed in bread and herbs.

BBC Radio 1 will broadcast the censored version whilst BBC2 will continue to play the original track. The BBC's thinking is that younger people who are more likely to tune into Radio 1 are sensitive whilst the generally older Radio 2 listeners aren't - or at least not to the degree that the BBC believes is the case with Radio 1's followers.

When I first went online in the 1990s I became a member of a US aviation board - there were very few aviation boards then and the embryonic PPRuNe would only let aviation professionals join at that time. I forget what the conversation was about on that US board but quite innocently I mentioned a female dog. There was no web censor on that forum then and the offending five-letter word beginning with b and ending in h appeared in all its glory.

The post was soon deleted by the moderators and I received a severe warning from one of them that such language would not be tolerated. I was completely unaware that Americans view the word as offensive. I wonder what they call female dogs.

Funnily enough @TheLocalYokel Initially I did actually write in my post that apart from the PC brigade it didn't age. I decided to remove that but I did wonder if somebody else would mention that.

I'm probably not someone who would be thought to be a typical fan of the Pogues but I do like Fairytale of New York very much. Until a few years ago Mrs Yokel and I would accompany her brother and his wife who live near a village in the middle of Dartmoor to a small local pub there on Christmas Eve where the locals would gather to sing carols.

It was more a gathering of adults singing carols than a typical carol-singing event because as the evening progressed and the drink flowed the tongues would become looser and looser. It had become a tradition to end the evening - around midnight which is why I haven't mentioned the name of the village - with a boisterous rendition of Fairytale of New York, reprised two or three times.

The song has a tragic connection, with Kirsty MacColl being killed in a collision with a powerboat whilst swimming in Mexico 20 years ago, an incident that remains controversial to this day.

10,000 Maniacs - Verdi Cries

The wonderful voice of Natalie Merchant accompanied by piano and cello. Simply beautiful!

or, if you prefer a live version -

Kevin

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock