Advertisement

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #1
As we seem to have a growing number of railway enthusiasts among us I thought it might be worth trying a new forum for for the subject as there's so much to talk about.

This thread is to discuss past, future and present railway programmes.

I've recently been watching Extreme Railways featuring Chris Tarrant. I bought a series featuring Chris trek across Congo's Jungle, Australia's Outback and India's Monsoon Railway. The Indian Monsoon Railway is probably my favourite with the onboard restaurant car with it's deep fat fryer cooking away as the carriage sways from side to side.

Looking on Channel 5 Extreme Railways website it looks like Chris Tarrant has been filming a new series just aired during November. Did anybody manage to watch them? The latest series featured The Middle East; The Balkans; Baltic; Timbuktu; Trans-Caucasus Railway; Night Train To Patagonia and more.

At first I bought the series for the little lad to watch but I've really enjoyed watching them with him over and over again.

Advertisement

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #2
Just watched a clip from one of Chris Tarrant's other series that I haven't seen yet. It's had us laughing our socks off. I'm going to have to get this full series to watch.:ROFLMAO:

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
Cheers Aviador(y)

I've been following Chris Tarrant's 'Extreme Railway Journeys' for several series and find them both entertaining and educational.
I'd also recommend those of Micheal Portillo and the more recent series 'Coastal Railways' with Julie Walters.

Kevin

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #4
The Michael Portillo series was excellent as is the Coastal Railways with Julie Walters.

In the most recent episode she took a trip on the St Ives Branch Line. It's only a short ride but one that is definitely worth doing with spectacular views across the Hayle Estuary and the stunning beach at Carbis Bay.

It gets pretty busy at peak times but is still much better than attempting to find a parking spot in St Ives.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Admin #5
I saw Mr Portaloo walking out of the front of Bristol Temple Meads Station last year. He was dressed in one of his natty blazers and was clearly being filmed exiting the station as a link shot for one of his programmes.

I always think his shows are more travelogue than rail show although I have watched and enjoyed a number of them which is unusual for me as I watch very little television these days.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #6
It's great to see politicians doing something normal so you can see them in the true light of day. Since watching some of his series, my opinion of Michael Portillo has completely changed favourably.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #7
I saw Mr Portaloo walking out of the front of Bristol Temple Meads Station last year. He was dressed in one of his natty blazers and was clearly being filmed exiting the station as a link shot for one of his programmes.

I always think his shows are more travelogue than rail show although I have watched and enjoyed a number of them which is unusual for me as I watch very little television these days.
Yeah they tend to be about the journey and the places the train goes rather than the train itself. Which is probably why as a show people like me and my dad like will watch it. If it was just about just the trains it probably wouldn't be as interesting to a wider audience.

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #9
I've been watching the latest Michael Portillo series of Great American Railroad Journeys.

The first few episodes have been in San Francisco, I've never been but it looks a great place. I'm thinking a California road trip may be in order for the wife's 40th.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Moderator #10
I've been watching the latest Michael Portillo series of Great American Railroad Journeys.

The first few episodes have been in San Francisco, I've never been but it looks a great place. I'm thinking a California road trip may be in order for the wife's 40th.
I'd definitely recommend it! Especially Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada and SFO is a unique airport to fly in and out of. I watched the episode where he went to Yosemite National park and that's not far from the girlfriends family so next time we're down there we'll definitely be visiting!

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Admin #11
My wife and I spent a few days in San Francisco over 20 years ago. We flew into SFO with KLM - B747. It is a fascinating city and relatively small for a large American city in terms of walking around the central area. We stayed in Union Square and it was a comfortable stroll down to the waterfront - Pier 39 with its sea lions et al. We visited Alcatraz and booked an orientation coach tour of the city.

There is so much to see and do there and I suspect that in many ways it's a more pleasant visitor experience than the huge Los Angeles (I've never been there nor had had any wish to). We were in San Francisco during summer and one fine morning we saw the famous fog bank in the bay. You could see beneath it and above it.

I remember we had a hire car and drove out via the Central Valley to Yosemite National Park. Then on via Bryce Canyon in a loop south to Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon finishing up in Phoenix, Arizona from where we flew home.

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Moderator #12
Thanks both, it sounds great.

Although it's a few years away I want to do something different for Mrs F's 40th. Australia would be my first choice but logistically it's a nightmare trying to fit it in around the school holidays and our main summer break is when they are in the depths of winter.

I'm thinking of a few days in SFO before hiring a car and spending a week or so driving south, stopping for a few nights in the likes of Santa Cruz, Monterey and Santa Barbara. I've not yet decided whether to finish with a few days in Los Angeles then head home or just to have a couple of nights there before heading down to San Diego.

To try and bring this thread back to railways I did look at the Napa Valley Wine Train. Unfortunately we won't be able to partake as we'll be with the kids but we may take a detour to visit the area.

http://winetrain.com/

Carl0927

Premium Member
Dec 19, 2016
Cheshire
The Michael Portillo series was excellent as is the Coastal Railways with Julie Walters.

In the most recent episode she took a trip on the St Ives Branch Line. It's only a short ride but one that is definitely worth doing with spectacular views across the Hayle Estuary and the stunning beach at Carbis Bay.

It gets pretty busy at peak times but is still much better than attempting to find a parking spot in St Ives.

I stayed at a hotel a few years ago at Carbis Bay, it's a lovely line.

Photo editing_Cloud20180312_1.jpg

Last edited:

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Admin #17
I'm off to St Ives in a couple of weeks, I'm sure that we'll have a trip or two :)
Have a great time there. I can't help thinking of St Ives without remembering the announcer at Bristol Temple Meads station in the 1950s. Prior to a train departing for the far south-west he would list all the stations visited en route together with their connections.

It was said in almost a rhythmic way and the very last, always with a flourish, was, "And Saint Erth for Saint Ives". It's funny what you remember from your formative years.

Advertisement

Top Bottom