Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Ryanair aims to create 700 jobs in Birmingham

Budget airline Ryanair plans to create 700 jobs in Birmingham in the next financial year by almost doubling passenger numbers at the city’s airport.

Sales and marketing manager Laszlo Tamas said the new roles would be created if the Irish carrier hits its target of transporting 1.65 million passengers from Birmingham International Airport next year – an 81 per cent increase on this year.

He was speaking on a visit to Birmingham to unveil its controversial system that will see passengers charged £5 to check in online and a £40 charge for replacement boarding cards.

Ryanair, which employs 900 staff in Birmingham, operates 32 routes from the city after setting up a new base last year.

Mr Tamas said: “This year we have delivered 900,000 passengers and we would like to almost double that next year. We are projecting 1.6 million.

“We are quite happy at Birmingham. We are happy with the airport charges and the performance rising, meanwhile the other airports are stagnating and decreasing.

“We aim for one person per 1,000 passengers so our aim is to get to 1.6 million passengers which would mean that we would create an additional 700 jobs in the 2009 to 2010 financial year.”

Mr Tamas said Ryanair sustains 1,500 jobs in the West Midlands and brings £150 million in tourism revenue to the Birmingham region.

It invested £356 million into the Birmingham hub in 2008 to fly to 22 airports across Europe, including Spain, France, Italy, Norway, Poland, Portugal, and Denmark, but has since added ten more destinations to its list.

Mr Tamas said the company was on the look-out for even more possible destinations to fly to.

He said: “We would obviously like to increase the frequency and start to fly to new destinations from Birmingham.

“We are associating with 250 airports around Europe and we are always looking.

“We have enough destinations we are offering from Birmingham but if there is the demand we will increase.”

Ryanair has come in for criticism for charging for its new online check-in service, which was previously offered free of charge.

The charge was brought in to help the firm cope with the cost of operating its website and is part of plans to abolish airport check-in desks by October 1.

Under the new service, passengers will have to check in online and print their boarding pass at home. Those without home printers, the airline has warned, should ask a friend or relative to print their boarding pass, or visit an internet cafe or the library, in order to avoid the £40 fee.

Mr Tamas admitted that he had some trepidation about the new service but sees online check-ins as the future for the aviation industry.

He said: “We are a bit worried but we have said basically people can book their flight online and after a while they will get used to it and we will be able to remind them by email.

“It will take a while for sure but after a while people are so online-driven nowadays they will come to get used to it.”

Source

From the 29th March 2010, FR will offer flights to O'porto again and is now shown available to book online, running untill the end of October. The based aircraft will operate on Mondays and Fridays, leaving BHX at 17.40, and returning at 23.05.

Hi all, do you know where the ryanair baggage drop off point is? I've used this airport a fair few times, but never looked or noticed where this is.

Thanks

• Admin
Hi mai-tai

Ryanair operate from Terminal 2 at Birmingham Airport. You'll find the Ryanair 'bag drop' queue in the main check-in concourse there.

[textarea]Ryanair Birmingham – Malta flights to resume in December

Although Ryanair will be stopping its flights between Birmingham Airport and Malta at the end of this month, it will restart them as from 15 December, the Malta Independent reports that a Ryanair spokesman confirmed.

Seats on the route are already for sale, Luis Fernandez-Mellado, sales and marketing manager. said. The route is also operated by Air Malta, who have operated its flights since 1970.

Source[/textarea]

Am I correct in thinking you go to baggage drop, with your print out of ticket and passport. They sticker your bags and send them off. You then can go straight through passport control, and wait for your flight?
All seems a bit too straight forward! And I'm flying next week, so getting paranoid now!
Thanks

• Admin
Assuming you have paid to check a bag into the hold, yes that's all you do. It's worth checking the weight of your luggage and hand luggage, Ryanair allow 10kg of hand luggage. Also make sure all your toiletries are put into your hold luggage. Alternatively you can carry it through security in a 20cm X 20cm bag so long as each item is no larger than 100ml. Make sure you follow the same principles for your return so you don't get caught out!

I hope that's of some use to you and don't forget to report back and tell us about your trip.

Ahh I can relax now. Yes prebooked hold luggage, and checked its on the tickets.
Lol everything it weighed and measured for hols.. can't usually relax until I've got the bags checked in and know its all ok, silly know.

I certainly will, this is the test to see if its worth doing non package hols in the future

Does any body know if Ryanair are doing Birmingham-Oporto route @ 2011?

It doesn't seem to have it in the system yet ... anybody knows dates?

Does any body know if Ryanair are doing Birmingham-Oporto route @ 2011?

It doesn't seem to have it in the system yet ... anybody knows dates?

Welcome to forums4airports, samsung.

Oporto/Porto is not in the Ryanair web booking engine or their web timetable.

My guess is that it won't operate. The Bristol-Porto has been axed for the coming summer too.

I would add the proviso that Ryanair pubishes its timetables many months in advance then regularly alters them, including dropping or adding routes as well as altering times or even days, almost up until the time the season is about to start. So there may be a slim chance that Porto will yet appear but I very much doubt it.

It is a shame.

Traveling to north of Portugal (Porto) is now too much trouble. Only Stansted and it's 140 miles (Each way)

Birmingham does Faro but it's 500 miles from Oporto.... Can't understand why Ryanair axed the flight. It was a twice a week flight (Monday and Sunday) but every single time that I took the flight it was completely packed (0 or 1 empty seats) and I've never paid less than 75 quid (excluding luggage).

Ryanair was a bit lame with this. Well then, I won't be traveling to Portugal any time some.

:(

PS: The Local Yokel .. thanks for the info!

Welcome to Forums4airports Samsung! :drinks:

Ryanair is renouwned for falling out with the airports it operates into. I don't know if that's the reason why the airline is dropping the route for this summer. You often hear people in the airline world talking about yield from sales of airline tickets. It could be the yield was too low to support the route. In other words, it doesn't make any difference how many people are on board each flight. If an airline isn't making any money from a route it will withdraw it. Not good if you want to get to porto though.

I am beggining to think that Ryanair has fallen out with BHX.

Ryanair have just added MAN-MAD (amongst others), after falling out with the airport 15 months ago.
Now, BHX has been begging airlines to serve MAD as its unserved, and, the false hope of spanair starting. So, the question is, why did RYR seem to have no issues adding MAN-MAD so easily, yet they wont even consider adding BHX-MAD?

Also, there is an article on google, courtesy of routesonline, that has basically stated, that RYR will happily operate any route MAN wants it to, as long as the price is right. So, why is BHX not doing more to get Michael O Leary to adopt the same attitude for BHX?

The last few years has seen any new RYR route/frequency added to BHX just a direct replacement for another route/frequency, so, its safe to assume growth has been stagnant. Maybe its time for BHX to re-cosy up to Ryanair, as its obvious no other airline will come in and fill the gaps. Easyjet are adamant that they wont grow beyond GVA/GNB, Jet2 are now entrenching themselves at EMA, bmi baby on the shrink offensive and foreign locos not really expanding into the UK. As for legacy carriers, when was the last time one came to BHX and stayed? Turkish?
Basically, BHX has made its bed, so may as well lay in it, therefore making a new, maybe slightly cheaper deal for RYR the only real alternative?

[textarea]Bumper Cheltenham Forecast as Ryanair Bookings Jump

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (7th Mar) forecast a bumper Cheltenham NH Festival with over 10,000 Irish punters descending on the UK’s premier jump racing festival after snapping up Ryanair’s lowest fares to East Midlands, Birmingham and Bristol Airports during the week of 14 – 19 March next. In response to record demand Ryanair has added 22 extra flights during the week long festival including four extra St Patrick’s Day flights for the Ryanair Chase, the feature event on Thursday 17th March.

The prize money for the Grade 1 Ryanair Chase has risen from £250,000 to £260,000, to make it one of the most valuable races at the Cheltenham National Hunt Festival in 2011. Ryanair is the official airline of the Cheltenham National Hunt Festival.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“This year’s Cheltenham Festival looks set to be a bumper one with Ryanair bookings on routes to Birmingham, Bristol and East Midlands already ahead of the corresponding period last year. Most passengers snapped up early deals so to respond to this enormous demand Ryanair has added 22 extra flights to maximize the availability of low fares to the Cheltenham Festival.

“We hope that 2011 will see an Irish winner of the Ryanair Chase and Ryanair will be working closely with the Cheltenham Festival to ensure that the St Patrick’s Day Grade 1 Ryanair Chase is the highlight of another great Festival.”[/textarea]
http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/bumper-c ... kings-jump

Budapest

Announced today that Ryanair would be returning to Budapest with routes to Bristol, Birmingham, Stansted, Dublin and Bolgna from March 2012.

Seems they will be 2 x weekly except STN at 4 x weekly.

It's good to hear about Ryanair adding something new at Birmingham. They haven't seem to do much since their initial arrival at BHX.

ray finkle said:
Barcelona El Prat -4 weekly flights

Krakow - 2 weekly flights

Milan Bergamo - 3 weekly flights

Palma De Mallorca - 2 weekly flights

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair- ... FA.twitter

Looks as if they're doing the usual task of trying to see off the competition, in this case Monarch.

Thanks for that Ray Finkle

Do you happen to know if these will be at the expense of other Ryanair flights or will they be new flights?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock