Tiger Airways in Singapore was part of Singapore Airlines, did they sell off the Australian part ?
Virgin Australia Holdings acquired the whole of Tiger Airways Australia in two tranches in 2013 and 2014 and have brand rights to operate under the Tiger name.

Tiger Airways Singapore merged with Singapore Airlines' budget carrier Scoot and now operates under the Scoot name with its owners being Budget Aviation Holdings whose parent is Singapore Airlines.

Virgin Australia Holdings acquired the whole of Tiger Airways Australia in two tranches in 2013 and 2014 and have brand rights to operate under the Tiger name.

Tiger Airways Singapore merged with Singapore Airlines' budget carrier Scoot and now operates under the Scoot name with its owners being Budget Aviation Holdings whose parent is Singapore Airlines.

Ive been on both Scoot were certainly better than Tiger Airways to fly with.

What would the effect of Virgin Atlantic going bust have on Virgin holidays? Would it take them with iit? Or would they have to source other airlines to use?

So ... SRB has given up on government bailout and has until end of May to find a buyer. What an actual disgrace from our government. Hand £350 million to Wizz Air but won't bail out a British carrier. Here is hoping they find someone.

I dont think they have given up on the government loan, just exploring all options. I have also read that the May deadline was a false statement made by the Telegraph.

https://www.travelweekly.co.uk/arti...antic-denies-may-deadline-set-for-buyer-talks

This is correct, Virgin are now doing what they should have done in the first place and are obliged to do under the governments Covid Corparate Financing Scheme. That is explore normal commercial financing options before applying to the government scheme, do that and HMG can make an informed decision.

The likes of Wizz UK and Easyjet have indicated that they qualify for loans up to £300m and £600m respectively based on there credit ratings and presumably followed the correct procedure.

The whole point of the government scheme is to support companies operating within the UK economy and the jobs of people within the country, under these circumstances it doesn't really matter who owns the company as so much of our economy is multi national anyway.

Last edited:
There are going to be a lot more changes when we come out of the lockdown, I just don't know exactly what they will be. I hope that the big airlines don't retrench to their hubs and leave the regional airports in the lurch. I don't want to travel to MAN/BHX/LHR/LGW when I want to fly to AMS for example.

That Sky News report does include this:-
"The re-focusing of operations on Heathrow and Manchester airports is a major blow to Gatwick, which was notified last week that BA might never resume flying from London's second-busiest airport".

And before we get the usual negatives: I agree that it will depend on their survival.

Official press release:

https://corporate.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/media/press-releases/Our-post-Covid19-future.html

A330-200's to retire as planned in 2022

According to the article the fleet will consist of 36 aircraft. The previous setup would've been 43 aircraft by 2022 (subject to new A330's replacing older ones). The split would have been as below, however clearly there will need to be some cancellations on new orders. Even with the 787's, all A350's and only the direct order A330's still takes the fleet to 37.
17 - 787-900
12 - A350-1000 (8 awaiting delivery)
14 - A330 neo (8 from Airbus & 6 from ALC)

Assuming no A350 cancellations, I can imagine to preserve cash it's going to be either:

1) the direct A339 order with Airbus will go with an extra aircraft leased from ALC, or
2) cancel the ALC lease deal, cancel 1 A339 and then sell & lease back the remaining 7 A339s

Would the A330's not be leased from both Airbus & ACL? I can't imagine VS ever had the cash to be able to purchase them.

Is this good news for Manchester?
As long as Virgin make it through yes it goes further than just Manchester airport though its the North of England that benefits from having Virgin around if they weren't around the long haul scene for the top half of the country wouldn't exist and the South and BA would benefit hopefully a restructure really helps.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock