Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
October start date for BA’s London City – New York flights

British Airways has pushed back the launch its all business class London City - New York JFK service until October ,but expects to begin ticket sales for the new route by the end of next month, Flightglobal reports. The flights had been expected to take off in September, but BA's executive VP for the Americas, Simon Talling-Smith, told Flightglobal that BA is now aiming to launch the service in October and begin ticket sales by the end of June.

At an analyst and media lunch in New York Mr Talling-Smith said: ‘We have to confirm the aircraft delivery dates,’ adding that BA aims to ‘announce a launch date within a month and at the same time begin ticket sales. We have to be absolutely sure of the delivery date and absolutely sure we have all the operational things [in place prior to the launch]. We've never done Shannon pre-clearance. We've never flown a small Airbus across the atlantic. We've never landed at domestic arrivals at Kennedy.’

The new London City-JFK service is designed to give BA's premium passengers another option in addition to its Heathrow-JFK and Gatwick-JFK services. London City, which is located in east London near Canary Wharf, is much closer to the heart of London's financial district and easier to use than Heathrow. It is already the airport of choice for business passengers from the financial sector heading between London and financial centres on the European continent. BA currently caters to this market through its CityFlyer regional unit but the new JFK service will be operated by BA mainline.

BA chief executive Willie Walsh told analysts at the lunch that the new London City-JFK link would offer BA the opportunity to adjust some of its capacity between Heathrow and JFK. He said: ‘What we do have is an opportunity to replace some capacity out of Heathrow with London City capacity.'

Source

• Admin
British Airways is to start flying between London City and Ibiza. The flights are scheduled to operate twice daily with Embraer 190 aircraft. The flight will be operated by CityFlyer.

[textarea]BA launch Faro and Malaga flights from London City Airport

British Airways has expanded its range of leisure routes from London City Airport with the launch of flights to Faro in the Algarve and Malaga in southern Spain. Four flights will take off each week to Faro and three to Malaga throughout the summer.

Luke Hayhoe, BA CityFlyer's commercial manager, said the decision to launch leisure routes from London City last year was in 'direct response' to customer demand. He said: 'They proved so popular, particularly during the summer months, that we have decided to expand them further this year. The addition of two extra aircraft to the fleet means we can now offer year-round services to the summer and winter sun destinations.'

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Incident: BA Cityflyer E190 at London on Aug 18th 2011, disabled on runway after landing

A BA Cityflyer Embraer ERJ-190, registration G-LCYK performing flight CJ-8711/BA-8711 from Edinburgh,SC to London City,EN (UK), landed safely on London City's runway however had to stop on the runway being unable to vacate the runway. The aircraft was towed off the runway.

The airport reported the runway was closed for nearly an hour until the aircraft was towed off the runway. Two inbound Air France and two inbound British Airways flights had to divert.

The airline said, the airplane suffered a "minor technical fault" and could not clear the runway.
Source[/textarea]

[textarea]BA plans all business flights to Boston and Washington

British Airways is considering launching business class only flights to Boston and Washington after load factors on its London City - New York service remained resilient during the recession, the Telegraph reports.

Citing an interview with Chief Executive Officer Keith Williams, the newspaper says BA has a load factor of about 70 percent on its London City - New York business-class service. This has encouraged it to look at launching business class only flights to Boston and Washington, although no date has been set and the airline does not currently have planes to operate the flights.

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Iberia to maintain BA’s London City – New York service planes

Iberia has won a contract for the maintenance, repair and overhaul of the CFM56-5B engines, that power the British Airways’ Airbus A318 aircraft used on its London City - New York JFK all business service. The contract is for five-years, with BA rumoured to be planning to launch more all business flights between London City and the US.

The Spanish airline has extensive experience as a CFM56-5B operator in its Airbus fleet. This new contract will further expand the Iberia Engine MRO Business, which has been growing steadily in the last years 5 years by a 12% per year up to the 200 engines yearly production target achieved in 2011. 70% of this engine activity is third party engine services.

Source[/textarea]

BA floors rival as new Aberdeen-London City route announced

BRITISH Airways has trounced rival CityJet by announcing the launch of an Aberdeen-London City Airport route, which experts believe will also stymie any new competition between the Granite City and Heathrow.

• BA have trumped rival CityJet by announcing a new Aberdeen-London City route

• The route is expected to take advantage of oil firms based near the Docklands airport

• CityJet had planned to operate the route but were delayed by its parent company’s plans to restructure the airline

Source

British Airways today announced the launch of a new London City – Isle of Man service, which starts from 28th MAY 2012 with weekdays service been operated by British Airways CityFlyer Embraer E170 aircraft.

London City - Isle of Man
BA3282 1200 – 1310 = x567
BA3282 1315 – 1425 = 5

Isle of Man - London City
BA3285 1350 – 1500 = X567
BA3285 1500 – 1610 = 5

Then for the Interesting bit, As from 25th June 2012, the service will increase to up to 3x daily and operational aircraft will change to a Saab 2000, wet-leased from Eastern Airways. The aircraft will be painted in British Airways colours and service provided by Eastern Airways crew dressed in British Airways uniform and offering the British Airways onboard service.

London City - Isle of Man
BA3282 0915 – 1035 = x7
BA3286 1450 – 1605 = x6
BA3288 1930 – 2050 = x6

Isle of Man - London City
BA3281 0725 – 0845 = x7
BA3285 1300 – 1415 = x6
BA3287 1740 – 1900 = x6

And along with the isle of man flights, it has been announced that BA cityflyer will axe their Copenhagen flights from the 26th May 2012.

The airline has said ‘Despite our best efforts this route is just not successful and with no signs of improvement the decision was made to use the aircraft on a route where there is a commercial need.’

The airline still plans to carry on flying from LHR.

Source

I am only in need of two BA CityFlyer E190s G-LCYO and G-LCYR

I am off to london with my partner on Thursday and she has booked us in to the travelodge next to the airport, I am wondering if anyone knows a full schedule for BA Cityflyer on Thursday and Friday. Also is the Saab 2000 based at LCY with BA still?

Thanks

Smith368

BA Cityflyer are launching 3 new routes from London City.
From 29th October LCY-KEF will be 2 weekly on a Sunday and Thursday.
LCY-ORY will be 17 weekly with 3 daily on Mondays to Friday and daily on both Saturday and Sunday.
LCY-PRG will be 6 weekly with no flight on a Saturday
LCY-GRX has also been made summer seasonal starting again on 25/3/18 3 weekly Monday, Friday and Sunday.

Interesting video about Sun-Air operations not just as a BA franchisee but their other ops as well. The video starts at Manchester but i put it here as the landing view at London City at the end from the cockpit is pretty cool!

Interesting video about Sun-Air operations not just as a BA franchisee but their other ops as well. The video starts at Manchester but i put it here as the landing view at London City at the end from the cockpit is pretty cool!
Fascinating video. A future trip for you, Jerry? Bit tasty in the fare stakes though.

I didn't think that people were allowed to ride on the flight deck these days.

I've just checked on Billund and its airport. Although Billund is the home of Lego the town only has a population of not much more than 6,000 inhabitants. The airport though handles about 3.5 mppa and also has a significant cargo operation. Its runway is 3,100 metres long.

Another point concerns aircraft utilisation. It seems the Sun-Air Dorniers are only used during the morning and evening and put in the hangar at Billund during the day. I thought the idea with airlines was to get as much use out of the aircraft as possible.

Fascinating video. A future trip for you, Jerry? Bit tasty in the fare stakes though.
I think I'll have to build up some Avios for that! But definitely is a unique aircraft to fly on!
I thought the idea with airlines was to get as much use out of the aircraft as possible.
I'd imagine that they own their aircraft and with them not being common parts are pricey so high utilisation may not be the best thing to do especially with the 1 aircraft which is the only LCY capable aircraft.

I didn't think that people were allowed to ride on the flight deck these days.

oh yes they are :)

B6ga4q5gy3hdKvyVgoVLM6AmtdRd-4Jz3c39UPUXD3ma9WC5dq_TnBifNwGmgXCQIZuPgDEaI2fzX-bLdJ2_k9itLMWQet7CIwIkudvxHMhFY6asiY811Wtbn3vuH5ZZwsz8HyoHr_c9kQGZ-YbG13BHhdV87otfoHoksEA6OFeTHqPbfGSvs4sHnSYeDOD_XmEYoETyWif-_enY0gI7_2ueoTTqQheJABto_aelYyWCHXgDT5fQV2PJMJdD7UgkaHB4uIcVQvuTHZ33gi4OqfJYS9BulNlUs22sM4Tm4SjSDPbuH7wi7qXEDUzjN4rYEKBmHMHv3kZpWXcDdoPlZgeDt78dGcZPGi_V5SpMNL0X3XZfFMPFGQatxtOBioRzyuj392ysZ3WkIKad5WoXHIH9gq8cIv-5ZYLH5ov_6_rW0abrxUNztz0yfOUnEoFNB-V6wqrVUHaddXlZ8_a2wfo7QMUdFI4VWv-pcCfuCPNo1sa_hGRBdEtHA9C893okyyxMf4u8fMUQKIHQGjdm-4ka18Ivd9k70JTom_93qma0cUfsNAkHiR90NcGrdpuOjup4V9Td4QqwYHSMf7rP9sU9wUcpNxcT8kgmXA11HfduRNnKe3PBXMhAfKs9ju2q0uXWgBrrlSXVBaEfnvdek6IK8W7dZ8NpgZhrQFeClqZRSjbufecwW9WV1hfbL9jzbRF0i57ufX5iyGMF0uvSfCr61_0NuGMbRgDFGf1ekjvn11lN-Q=w1601-h1067-no

I've just checked on Billund and its airport. Although Billund is the home of Lego the town only has a population of not much more than 6,000 inhabitants. The airport though handles about 3.5 mppa and also has a significant cargo operation. Its runway is 3,100 metres long.

Another point concerns aircraft utilisation. It seems the Sun-Air Dorniers are only used during the morning and evening and put in the hangar at Billund during the day. I thought the idea with airlines was to get as much use out of the aircraft as possible.

there are only two things in billund, legoland and lego house. both are worth visiting. beyond that there isn't much to do in billund.

also if you charge as much as sun air you can afford to under utilise the aircraft/

Last edited:
I think I'll have to build up some Avios for that! But definitely is a unique aircraft to fly on!

It shouldn't be too many avios, around 4500 I think for MAN or LCY to BLL one way. There should be additional pricing points as well which allow you to pay fewer avios and more cash. Bearing in mind how expensive cash fares are on Sun Air (£200+) using avios is definitely the way to book. Sun Air are obliged to release 2 avios seats per flight. Another alternative is do BA mainline one way and Sun Air the other. BA basic fares to/from BLL can be very cheap, I paid £27 for a BLL-LHR last year.

It's a great flight tho so hope you can try it at some point.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock