Advertisement

Trip report Cardiff to Edinburgh and back.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Thread starter Moderator #1
Trip review Cardiff Airport to Edinburgh Airport and back.

On the 29/3/18 i took the 7 am flight from Cardiff to Edinburgh with Flybe. I checked in online so was alble to head straight to security and got to the airport about 5 am. Getting through security was pretty quick and without hassle and the staff were pretty friendly as well. Procceeded then through duty free into departures and this was my first look at the newly extended departure area and it looks good. The new Costa Coffee is on the left and is reasonably priced, i bought a Ham and Cheese toastie and a bottle of diet Coke for roughly £5, Cafe Rittasa and the Beer House are in the same position but WH Smith has been moved and expanded and is in the new area.
The new area is nice and big with plenty of seating and a good view of stands 1,2,3 and 7. Never used the executive lounge but there was works still ongoing at the entrance to it. The only slight criticism i have of the new area is there are no powerpoint benches or tables in the departure area for people's phone's, tablets and laptops.
The flight was called for boarding and we used Gate 10 which is the first time i've departed from that gate but unfortunately we couldn't use the airbridge as it doesn't fit Flybe's E jets. Boarding was quick and easy and the flight departed roughly ontime and the aircraft, which was an E195, was full with quite a few of the passengers being Cardiff Blues fans heading for the rugby in Edinburgh. The flight was about 50 mins which was enough time to polish off my BLT sandwich and diet coke. The landing at Edinburgh was nice and smooth and came in from the sea which gave us a taxi past the main terminal to the extension course of Edinburgh airport. As we taxiied it was notable to see the varied airlines that serve Edinburgh with Delta, American, Ryanair, United and Etihad all on stands at the time. Deboarding was pretty quick and after a walk through to the main terminal building and then outside i was at the Car hire centre not even 30 mins after we got to the stand to begin my trip.

My return flight to Cardiff from Edinburgh was on the 3/4/18 with a 19.40 departure and i got to the airport about 17.00. After dropping off my hire car i had about a 5 minute walk to the terminal past the tram station and then wnet to the self-check in terminal, after checking in i used the bag drop facility for the first time which was nice and easy and pretty self explanotary as well. After dropping off my rucksack i headed upstairs to security which though was busy was pretty quick if not a bit too warm for my liking but i had no problems and then proceeded through Duty Free which like Cardiff is the only way you can get to the departures area.
Departure's was very busy with lots of people in the shops and eateries like Witherspoons were all busy. One thing i noticed was a lot of different languages being spoke there from Russian to Spanish to German. I had a bit to eat ad sat myself down by Gate 11 to watch the aircraft landing, taking off and taxiing. It was noticeable that there was quite a lot of British Airways flights during this time departing and arriving from Heathrow, Gatwick and London City airports and when i looked at the departure boards there was 21 domestic flights on their.
At about 19.00 my gate number came up and i preceeded to gate 21. The flight started to board and the aircraft was a Flybe E195 which i noticed had it's own steps at the front, was full and departed about 25 mins late. The flight encountered a bit of turbulence after takeoff but apart from that was pretty smooth. One thing about this flight was a lot more people bought something to eat and drink compared to the flight on the way up which was a morning flight. We approached the airport from over Newport and passed with Cardiff to the right with the city all light up, landing was pretty smooth and even with the wait of collecting my rucksack i was coming out of arrivals about 20 mins after landing.
In all both flights were pretty good with Flybe providing a good service and both airports providing a good experience and i'm looking forward to my next flight from Cardiff!

Advertisement

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Thread starter Moderator #3
Sounds as though you had a great time, Jerry. Thank you for the informative trip report. Did Cardiff Blues win?
Yeah it was a great trip. Yes they did! Beat Edinburgh 20-6 and have a home semi final against Pau 21st April. Fingers crossed and Welsh rugby could get a team in both finals in Bilbao as the Scarlets are in the Champions Cup semi final as well.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Admin #5
Yeah it was a great trip. Yes they did! Beat Edinburgh 20-6 and have a home semi final against Pau 21st April. Fingers crossed and Welsh rugby could get a team in both finals in Bilbao as the Scarlets are in the Champions Cup semi final as well.
Even better Easter weekend then.:cigar:

Advertisement

Top Bottom