• Portugal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain

• Other (please specify below...)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Today's game is likely to see thousands of empty seats in the stadium according to newspaper reports.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-c...en-danger-played-front-thousands-empty-seats/

Usually at World Cups England has one of the largest following of supporters but not this time. For whatever reasons England's supporters are far fewer in number than those from a number of other countries. Even Sweden might have more supprters in the ground than England and we know that when England beat Columbia on penalties there were so many Columbians in the ground that it was like an away match for England.

Some tickets have become available in the past day or so and the Russian authorities are desperate to entice more England followers to attend, but the price of air fares and availability of flights makes this look a forlorn exercise.

Doesn't this mean there is a possibility of an England v Russia semi final now?

Doesn't this mean there is a possibility of an England v Russia semi final now?
Yes, all will be revealed later this evening after the Russia v Croatia quarter final. The Final will be either France or Belgium versus England, Russia or Croatia.

IT’S COMING HOME....ish!
This England team is beginning to worry me in a rather nice way.
I think today's performance was easily England's most accomplished so far in the Finals, better than their 6-1 win over Panama because of the pressure of the circumstances and quality of the opposition today. I don't think anyone had a bad game for England.

As some of the former internationals pointed out after the game, Henderson had a superb match. He is not a spectacular performer but gets through an immense amount of work in the engine room of the team. Pickford, who has shown himself to be a first-class shot stopper, showed this prowess again today with some first rate saves at vital moments in the match.

I don't know whether I want Russia or Croatia as semi final opponents. Croatia are the stronger team on paper but Russia, with home support, are on a tremendous roll that belies their modest ranking and their awful pre-tournament form. I also worry that if it's Russia the referee might succumb to crowd pressure and, based on the evidence so far, I have no overwhelming confidence that VAR rights all the wrongs.

The more this goes on the more terrified I am all the tension and excitement will send the other half into premature labour!
Fabian Delph told the BBC after the match today that when he went home to be at the birth of his daughter he and his wife watched the England-Columbia game on the telly. He reckoned that the stress of the penalty shoot-out brought on the labour. I think he might have been only partly joking. Every good wish to you both.

Fabian Delph told the BBC after the match today that when he went home to be at the birth of his daughter he and his wife watched the England-Columbia game on the telly. He reckoned that the stress of the penalty shoot-out brought on the labour. I think he might have been only partly joking. Every good wish to you both.

Well we’ve got another three months to go but if it comes down to another England penalty shoot out we’re changing channels and watching Midsomer Murders just to be on the safe side!

So it's England v Croatia in the semi final.

Firstly, congratulations England! A superb and fully deseved result.
I think the team performed with a level of maturity that belies their years. I can't remember an England team that has bonded so well. Gareth Southgate has really built something here.
Were they perfect? No! I was still nervous into the last 10 minutes. Sweden looked threatening when they attacked and one goal would have meant a nail biting last few minutes.
England could have had two or three more, and each of Jordan Pickford's three wonder saves were the equivalent of a goal.
I'm very impressed with this England squad, but I don't think we should under estimate Croatia.
Great scenes from around the country shown on BBC news, beer going everywhere! I hope the squad get to see these clips, surely a great morale booster. There may not be many flags on cars, but we're behind you all the way lads!

COME ON ENGLAND !!!

Kevin

Firstly, congratulations England! A superb and fully deseved result.
I think the team performed with a level of maturity that belies their years. I can't remember an England team that has bonded so well. Gareth Southgate has really built something here.
Were they perfect? No! I was still nervous into the last 10 minutes. Sweden looked threatening when they attacked and one goal would have meant a nail biting last few minutes.
England could have had two or three more, and each of Jordan Pickford's three wonder saves were the equivalent of a goal.
I'm very impressed with this England squad, but I don't think we should under estimate Croatia.
Great scenes from around the country shown on BBC news, beer going everywhere! I hope the squad get to see these clips, surely a great morale booster. There may not be many flags on cars, but we're behind you all the way lads!

COME ON ENGLAND !!!

Kevin
Gareth Southgate is reportedly on only a fraction of the salary that previous 'big name' England managers such as Capello and Eriksson were paid, and only on half as much as Roy Hodgson. When Sam Allardyce became manager Southgate said he (Southgate) wasn't ready for the full England manager's job and was content then to continue his successful period with the England under 21s.

After Allardyce's departure Southgate became temporary England manager and after early success the full England manager on a four-year contract that expires towards the end of 2020. Even if England progress no further than the semi finals I can see 'big' clubs eyeing him up and we all know that contracts in football mean little, although Southgate's persona - by all accounts the same in private as in public - suggests he might be one of those rare football people with the integrity to honour a contract, especially if he believes that with him in charge England can embark on something of a golden period as this young team matures. If he stays at the FA he is deserving of a hefty pay rise in my opinion whatever the next few days bring forth.

He comes across as polite, likeable, approachable, and seems to have the confidence and respect of his squad. In my lifetime only Alf Ramsey, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables (briefly) have imbued me with a sense of hope.........and now Gareth Southgate.

Like you I was still nervous during those last 20 minutes or so. 2-1 and Sweden would have had their sprits and confidence raised and back in the match with a vengeance, and who knows then what might have happened? Croatia will certainly be a major test. Although England beat them 5-1 and 4-1 in the qualifying competition for the 2010 World Cup, most football people will remember the 'wally with the brolly' match at Wembley where Croatia won 3-2 to prevent England from reaching Euro 2008, after which the umbrella man Steve McClaren was shown the door.

I wonder whether the intense euphoria around the country, stoked by the news and sports media, was partly a reflection of people's concerns that yesterday might be as good as it gets in this competition. I hope I'm wrong and I hope I can put up with another 90/120 minutes without my heart deciding enough is enough.

I know there are people who detest football but there is no other sport, indeed nothing else except something like VE-Day, that can bring the nation together as one - by nation I mean England in this sense. I know there are some from other parts of the UK who don't share the joy and I fully understand their position. It's not just England either. Look at Russia and other countries where everything stops at home when the mother nation is playing in the World Cup.

So the World Cup Final of 2018 will be France versus England or Croatia. They looked a very tight and efficient unit this evening against a talented Belgian side that just could not break down the French defence. Arguably France and Belgium have turned out to be the best two teams in the tournament and many will regret the two didn't contest the final itself. The French teenager Mbappe looks a phenomenal prospect.

England or Croatia will have their work cut out to beat France and must hope that in part the French have an off day.

Congratulations to France and sympathy with Belgium.

Here we go. Hold on tight!

Another ride through the mill but no exit this time. Very frustrating given England's dominance for much of the first half when they could and probably should have been 2-0 or 3-0 up. How often does such profligacy come back to bite in football?

Croatia responded well in the second half though and showed a lot of spirit. Whether either side dominated sufficiently in the game as a whole to deserve a win is debatable but Croatia scored the goals and England didn't. Good luck to them in the final. They are a small nation and have performed exceptionally well and with a manager who has been in place for only a year. At least I was spared penalties which I hate.

Full marks to Gareth Southgate and his young squad for a performance in the tournament that no-one in England expected. The last 16 was the limit of many people's expectations.

The way this team has galvanised and brought together the English nation (I'm not so sure that the rest of the UK is so enthusiastic) is a joy to behold, particularly after the way the country has divided over Brexit.

Although a football fan since the days of Stanley Matthews I wasn't particularly looking forward to this World Cup but thanks to Gareth and his team my interest was rekindled in a big way for which I thank all of them.

I have no expectations for the third place game with Belgium - as long as we just play with the composure and maturity that has stood out in so many of our games this tournament we will do ourselves proud regardless of the result.

Thanks lads for giving us such a wonderful experience (y)

I have no expectations for the third place game with Belgium - as long as we just play with the composure and maturity that has stood out in so many of our games this tournament we will do ourselves proud regardless of the result.

Thanks lads for giving us such a wonderful experience (y)
I imagine both countries will play 'fringe players' in the 3rd/4th placed match. Why they persist with this unwanted fixture I have no idea. Talk about after the Lord Mayor's Show.

I was a bit disappointed with Modric's comments after the match. He may have said other things but all I read was his contention that they had been out to show the English pundits who the team regarded as disrespectful to them how good they were. Modric thought Croatia was the better team in all aspects throughout the match. He is entitled to his opinion but I think most neutrals will believe the first half was dominated by England who should have made more of their opportunities.

Not much magnanimity in victory in those comments. I'd still like to see them beat France as Croatia are undoubtedly the underdogs, but they will need to play out of their skins, unless France has a really bad day at the office.

Today, England play Belgium in the 2018 World Cup third/fourth place play offs. This young England squad have done us proud. They have given everything, heart and soul to try and achieve the dream. There is not one member of the squad, management or support staff who haven't given 110% throughout this tournament and the qualifiers.
So please, those of you who are England fans, back the lads today!
I remember watching the Lionessess a couple of years back and after losing in the semi-final, they then beat Germany in the third/fourth place play offs. Their joy was wonderful to watch.
Whatever the England squad achieve later, I have nothing but admiration for them.
They should return home, proud of what they have achieved and be applauded by the fans.

Kevin

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock