Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Leeds
So this is another example that MOL's claim last year that because of Brexit future Ryanair development would be concentrated in mainland Europe at the expense of the UK was not what it seemed.

So this is another example that MOL's claim last year that because of Brexit future Ryanair development would be concentrated in mainland Europe at the expense of the UK was not what it seemed.

So true but nobody really knows how things will pan out next year. Does MOL have a crystal ball? All said, MOL does have an easy come easy go attitude to business so things could look very rosy or very sour by this time next year, who knows.

From their corporate website:

Alicante (5 wkly), Barcelona Reus (2 wkly), Bilbao (4 wkly), Brest (2 wkly), Corfu (2 wkly), Cluj (3 wkly), Dublin (2 daily), Faro (5 wkly), Kosice (3 wkly), Malaga (5 wkly), Milan Bergamo (4 wkly), Palma (4 wkly) & Venice (4 wkly)

I don't think Ryanair serve Bilbao, Brest, Cluj and Kosice from any other airport? Southend seems to attract a lot of oddball routes - Air Malta to Catania and Cagliari; Flybe to Antwerp, Caen, Groningen, Rennes and Zadar; Loganair to Carlisle...

It will surely be the smallest airport passenger wise to have have bases from Ryanair and Easyjet in the UK.

The base size will be similar to BFS (2x aircraft base) and PIK (3x aircraft base) which this year will see 60 and 53 departures a week respectively.

Tomorrow is the beginning of Ryanair operations at Southend Airport where they will base 3 aircraft. First departure is at 06.45 to Alicante.

With the potential loss of Ryanair to add to easyJet it just shows again how hard it is for regional airports to be successful long term with the airline's so quick to ditch these regional airports.

With the potential loss of Ryanair to add to easyJet it just shows again how hard it is for regional airports to be successful long term with the airline's so quick to ditch these regional airports.
I'd look at Southend Stobart have pumped 10s of millions into building it up attracting Europe's big 3 LCCs and airline's like Wideroe and in the space of a few months year's of work is undone! And it's back to square one for the airport.

I'd look at Southend Stobart have pumped 10s of millions into building it up attracting Europe's big 3 LCCs and airline's like Wideroe and in the space of a few months year's of work is undone! And it's back to square one for the airport.

Carlisle is also seemingly closed to commercial flights now, after constructing a nice new terminal.

The thing is they didn't need Ryanair (the parasite of Europe) in their backyard when they had the Orange. It's no surprise that Ryanair are looking at withdrawing from SEN, if easyJet stay i'd not be surprised to see Ryanair stay too. Some of their bases are just out for pushing the competitors out and then withdrawing themselves.

Calling Ryanair parasites a bit overboard. Yes they have a specific business model that some might not like but they do provide a lot of affordable flights from many of the regional airports that airlines like BA and Easyjet don't. As for Southend not needing them well Stobart obviously thought they did to invest in them. It would be ironic though if Easyjet left but Ryanair stayed at Southend.

Case of three loco's not really all fitting into one regional airport?.

It's a no win situation for the airport's they need the flights and airlines but then the airline's squeeze each other out obviously Covid had played a massive part however I felt something would of given any

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock