Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
We've just spent the last week over on the East Coast. On the way there we visited Yorkshire Lavender which is situated near Castle Howard off the A64. We'd seen the advertisement signs on the A64 on previous visits to the East Coast so we decided to call in and check in out. We thought it was very good and it broke up the two hour journey from North West Leeds. There was enough to do to for a couple of hours so the little ones had some time to run off some steam before we carried on our journey to Scarborough.

View media item 7470
We based ourselves just on the northern outskirts of Scarborough staying in a fixed caravan. The location was ideal for walking into Scarborough. Robin Hoods Bay, Staithes and Whitby were all within 45 minutes drive so we took the opportunity to visit them all in one day so we could maximise the time we could spend on the beach. The drive to Robin Hoods Bay was good with light traffic all the way travelling on the coastal road through the North York Moors. The scenery reminded us of parts of the Highlands with Scots Pines and Norway Spruce fern tree forests lining the roadside for parts of the journey.

View media item 7449
At Robin Hoods Bay we parked in the upper car park. There was ample spaces with basic but clean toilet facilities available. The parking was came under the Scarborough District and it was pay and display but we found the prices reasonable. The walk into the village centre was down a steep hill so people who have difficulty walking would struggle. On the way down to the sea front there's numerous novelty shops and cafes along with a mini dinosaur fossil museum. The beach at Robin Hoods Bay is sand and clean but there is a lot of seaweed. Walks along the shoreline along the beach are recommended but it's worth checking the tide times before setting off. We stayed at Robin Hoods Bay for two hours although we would recommend giving yourself more time to be able to enjoy the place to the full.

View media item 7450
We set off for the short journey from Robin Hoods Bay to Whitby which took approximately 15 minutes. We decided to park at the Whitby Abbey car park to avoid the traffic in the centre that can be busy. The walk to the centre from the abbey took about ten minutes on foot down a steep hill, so again people who struggle walking would be better off parking closer to the centre. We walked around harbour area which was busy with an array of typical seaside shops and stalls selling cockles, crabs and mussels, donuts and candy floss. At the end of the harbour and all the shopping areas is access to the beach. The beach was sand and clean with lifeguard cover for bathers. After a couple of hours on the beach we went to eat at a Fish & Chip shop. The fish and chips are always served with skin on the fish in Whitby so if you don't like eating the skin you need to ask when ordering. We've visited Whitby many time and we always enjoy it whatever the weather. There are a number of museums and frequent boat trips subject to sea conditions.

View media item 7454
To be continued...

We have some beautiful scenery along the east coast, the towns you have mentioned are regular visits to us. Two weeks ago we drove 30 miles inland to catch the train from Pickering to Whitby, another great Yorkshire scenic trip.
Another advantage of living on the east coast are the many flyovers from Europe to America and flights to Scotland. This morning I saw the Qatar A350 clearly even with the thin high cloud.

I am proud to be a Yorkshireman. (y)

Fish and Chips at Whitby is lovely! And the views from Whitby Abbey are great! It's definitely a place i'd go again!

• Admin
....to end the day we carried on to Staithes which was around 15 minutes drive from Whitby passing through Sandsend a small village with beautiful long white sand beach. We arrived Staithes in the early evening. The car park was run by Scarborough Council so the ticket we used previously in Whitby was still valid so thankfully we didn't need to make any further payment. Similarly to Robin Hoods Bay, there's a steep hill that descends into the village centre. The village has an abundance of quaint shops on the main street meandering down to the harbour where there's numerous small fishing boats.

View media item 7462
View media item 7456
I had a walk around the harbour talking photos while the little ones played on the sandy beach in the harbour. The village is hugely photogenic so it's a must for photographers out there. We purposely decided to finish here to get the best light conditions for taking photos but in all honesty a visit at sunrise would have proved more fruitful but I was still fairly happy with the photos I got. We stayed at Staithes for a couple of hours but we all liked it very much and we're definitely looking to go back there again soon.

View media item 7457
Scarborough review to come shortly....

Excellent pics as always, Aviador.

We feel sick this evening after the shocking news that has just been reported. A girl only 9 years of age died after part of the cliff face fell away in exactly the same place we were only a week ago today.

We would lke to offer our absolute heartfelt simpathy and condolences to the family concerned at this sad time.

I know everyone on F4A echoes those sentiments. It's dreadfully sad. Words can't adequately address it.

That is terribly sad news! My hearfelt condolences to the family!

Ive only just seen this and would also like to express my sympathy to the family. You must feeling rather shaken Aviador as you were only there a few days before.

Ive only just seen this and would also like to express my sympathy to the family. You must feeling rather shaken Aviador as you were only there a few days before.

My two little ones were given an extra big hug from me this morning.

Looking back we do remember seeing the signs about the cliffs saying "beware dangerous cliffs" but it didn't say "risk of rockfall" which you would normally expect to see where there's a danger of rockfall. We thought it was referring to people trying to climb the rocks rather than a danger to people bathing on the beach nearby.

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock