General discussions

Advertisement

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I didn't think this warranted it's own thread as it's a one off video i did on my way back from Heathrow in August so i created a train general discussions thread.
Something a bit different from me.

Carl0927

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Dec 19, 2016
Cheshire
Just heard on R 4 because of a delay of a further two years at Leeds station to extend certain platforms Northern rail won't now be able to bring in new 6 car trains this year as planned to ease congestion and remove ancient stock.

Land23R

Platinum Member
May 9, 2014
Cheshire
Did they say why a delay? Is the work running behind or has the project been deferred?
The disasters of Grayling and the DfT continue unabated.

Carl0927

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Dec 19, 2016
Cheshire
Did they say why a delay? Is the work running behind or has the project been deferred?
The disasters of Grayling and the DfT continue unabated.
I think it's running behind , whatever it is its passengers crammed on old 2 car trains in the north of England for longer.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Subscriber
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
I don't often visit this part of the forum but I spotted these 2 rarities at York (not Leeds as I previously said) on Thursday.

I believe this is scheduled to go to TPExpress

This one is at self-explanatory

Last edited:

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
@TheLocalYokel i know you like your train trips and also travel to Australia regularly. Just wondering if you've done the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth or vice versa? Looks an amazing journey.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
@TheLocalYokel i know you like your train trips and also travel to Australia regularly. Just wondering if you've done the Indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth or vice versa? Looks an amazing journey.
No, we've never used the Indian Pacific. My late mother used it in 1970, the first year of its operation. The thing she always remembered was the 300 miles of dead straight track across the Nullarbor Plain.

We've regularly used the V/Line service into Melbourne from Geelong and other regional lines around Melbourne including Bendigo, but our only longer distance train journey was on the daytime Overland from Adelaide to Melbourne, although we got off at Geelong an hour out of Melbourne. We tend to use cars to get around when in the part of Victoria that we visit, although in Melbourne itself the extensive tram network is a boon for travelling in the city and suburbs, with all journeys in the central business district free.

The Overland took around ten hours to get us from Adelaide to Geelong compared with a flight of about one and a quarter hours when we went to Adelaide from Melbourne. Its future has been in doubt in recent years because it needs government subsidies.

Just before we left Adelaide the Ghan, the other long-distance train service in Australia, that runs between Darwin and Adelaide pulled in alongside us.

All our other inter-state trips have been by air.

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
A brilliant video. I watched it last night, as I follow a lot of Paul Lucas' videos.
My late Father did that trip from Adelaide to Perth about 10 to 11 years ago. He absolutely lovet it, having been a rail fan since he was a small lad. When I was a kid, he would often take me to the Severn Valley Railway at Bridgenorth. After his retirement, he continued to visit the SVR.
I'm sure I still have some of his video clips from his trip on the Indian Pacific. I must look them up.

Kevin

Top Bottom