General Rail Discussions

Kevin Farnell

May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
I believe that the old steam locos (the proper way to travel by rail) had sandboxes, from which dry sand could be release in front of the main wheels if the loco suffered a 'slip'. I don't think that modern locos have such a facility.

Kevin

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
I believe that the old steam locos (the proper way to travel by rail) had sandboxes, from which dry sand could be release in front of the main wheels if the loco suffered a 'slip'. I don't think that modern locos have such a facility.

Kevin
Don't modern loco drivers carry a bag of sand or grit with them for such a situation? Manual application or does the union ban it?
It seems that increasingly modern locos/train sets are equipped with sanders.

It appears that there can be downsides though with the potential for sand interfering with track circuiting and points mechanisms. Permanent way people don't like sand being dumped onto the ballast either.

This linked article goes into some detail about the subject.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.