Plans revealed for new state of the art terminal extension Leeds Bradford Airport is delighted to announce the next phase of its redevelopment plan. The region’s biggest airport is planning a multi-million pound, three-storey extension to its terminal building, that once complete, will house a transformed international arrivals process, including immigration, baggage reclaim and customs. The extension will also accommodate new, larger departure gates, seating areas and new retail and food & beverage outlets. Once the new building is completed – scheduled for the end of 2019 - works will then commence on re-modelling the existing terminal building to provide a new security central search area, enhanced check-in facilities, and a simplification of the customer journey through the existing departure lounge, which will also include new retail and F&B offers. We expect these works to be complete for summer 2020. The final phase will include the construction of a new pier, replacing the current passenger walkway with a twostorey structure, housing arrivals and ground level, and departures being processed at additional new boarding gates on the first floor. As part of its redevelopment plans, the airport is inviting the people of Yorkshire to contribute to the future development of their airport. In addition to a three-week consultation period, airport officials will be hosting a dropin event at the Britannia Hotel in Bramhope on Thursday 27th September and the proposals will now go through Leeds City Council’s planning process. David Laws, Chief Executive at Leeds Bradford Airport, said: “These really are exciting times for this airport and we are delighted to be able to now share our plans for phase two of our terminal redevelopment. “This new extension will transform the experience for both departing and arriving passengers whilst also adding a ‘sense of place and pride’ throughout the terminal, as we want to play our part in creating a great first impression for inbound visitors. “A thriving region needs a thriving airport and we hope the people of our great county will see these latest plans as a real statement of intent as we continue to strive to create an airport Yorkshire can be proud of. “Work continues to improve our route offering for both business and leisure services and we hope to have more exciting announcements in the near future as we look to open up Yorkshire to new global opportunities.” Cllr Susan Hinchcliffe, Chair of West Yorkshire Combined Authority, said: “The airport is already a major contributor to the city region economy and we welcome this significant new investment. “It will enhance the experience for existing and new passengers as new routes are introduced. In turn, these will open up additional markets for local businesses.” Issued: 14 PRESS RELEASE th September 2018 Sir Gary Verity DL, Chief Executive of Welcome to Yorkshire, said: “This is fantastic news for Yorkshire, bringing great benefits to both leisure and business travellers as well as the wider economy. David Laws and his team are to be applauded for the positive changes they are bringing to Leeds Bradford Airport. These latest plans are symptomatic of the scale of their vision and overall ambition to make the airport one the whole county can be proud of. Passengers will soon experience an airport truly fit for the 21st century.” Leader of Leeds City Council Councillor Judith Blake, said: “We very much welcome these plans for a terminal extension and improved facilities at Leeds Bradford Airport, and we look forward to seeing them come forward for full consideration by Leeds City Council’s plans panel. The airport is a key element of the Leeds and wider regional economy, and we are fully committed to supporting its growth.” Henri Murison, Director of Northern Powerhouse Partnership, said: “The Northern Powerhouse future relies on connectivity, whether it be in transport terms to key European export markets by flight to digital connectivity. This investment by Leeds Bradford Airport here in Yorkshire is a sign of their confidence and commitment to helping businesses here to grow and attracting inward investment. “At the same time, we see commitment from city leaders and the combined authority to improve the journey to the airport with a link planned on the Leeds to Harrogate rail line. This is why the airport will keep growing the number of destinations available to business and leisure travellers – transformed facilities and lounges already, more capacity and more choice on how to get here from across the region.”

LBA Arrivals.jpg

I popped down to the Consulation this afternoon, I overheard a conversation that one of the team were having and he said that the old central security screening area was to be knocked through to create a larger check in hall A. This would happen later on in the development around 2021.

D
I updated my feedback, what I found odd is a service yard in the middle of the terminal frontage. What other airport has that? Surely you want the first and last impression to look decent, not some Menzies van and delivery crates on display. I also commented on the exit ramp- glaze it in and feature light it and I thought 3 carousels is a bit short sighted.

L
I too have submitted feedback expressing the concern over baggage carousel provision detailed within the proposals.

I updated my feedback, what I found odd is a service yard in the middle of the terminal frontage. What other airport has that? Surely you want the first and last impression to look decent, not some Menzies van and delivery crates on display. I also commented on the exit ramp- glaze it in and feature light it and I thought 3 carousels is a bit short sighted.
The service yard will probably be required as a builders compound throughout the works but LBA have stated there is every likelihood that once completed, something will be done with it - I don't think there is any chance that it will remain as it is once the contractors have gone and it may well be built on
I went to the consultation today too and made my formal comments in writing for the council to consider. Whilst there, I also took the opportunity to talk to the architect with regards to the exit ramp from the new building and requested that they look at enclosing it. He was happy to take it away and look at it. However, I suspect that once the service yard goes, there will be changes that mean there will be another way out of the terminal extension and that this ramp and whatever they put over it, will only be a temporary exit point. Understandably therefore, they are not going to throw buckets of cash at something that might only be there a year or two.

Not sure what the issues are with the baggage carousels, but bear in mind they are double the size of what we have now so a 100% increase in space and capacity over what we have now.

It was also made very clear on the display boards that there is every likelihood that the extended terminal will be extended again to the East and it has been designed with that in mind.

The style of the building, whether it is seen as pretty, or pretty ugly, is very similar to Glasgow International's terminal. Clearly it has been designed this way to provide the maximum internal available space and to enable future extension when required. The more 'fancy designs' you put on a building, the harder it will be to do that in the future. With some nice lighting, I think it could look quite impressive.

In terms of design in this country the days when airport buildings were a statement of civic pride are long gone. The form of the building has to fit its function and be cost effective. To carry out its function the new building is essentially a box. Let's hope that the final 'wrapping' of the box makes it an interesting box!

D
WH I hope you are right about the future of the service yard. I would have thought that they would have used part of the car parking area and built across at first opportunity. That to me would have Been more cost effective.

I recognised the Glasgow extension, having been there it is functional but not the prettiest. That said better than what we have now.

D
Seasider functional doesn’t have to be ugly. I would hope that we have learned lessons from the carbuncles of the past which quite often were functional but looked rank. In addition, airports are spaces that people like to visit - it is part of an experience, so it is an opportunity to build something that works but looks ok and helps sell the region. That’s my opinion and I’d rather complain and hopefully prompt some change than put up with something substandard that we have to live with for years to come.

The service yard already exists. It's the 'goods in' area for all the shops etc. It includes security screening for those goods. There are also other facilities housed in that area. I can't imagine this will change, it would just add to the cost.

Seasider functional doesn’t have to be ugly. I would hope that we have learned lessons from the carbuncles of the past which quite often were functional but looked rank. In addition, airports are spaces that people like to visit - it is part of an experience, so it is an opportunity to build something that works but looks ok and helps sell the region. That’s my opinion and I’d rather complain and hopefully prompt some change than put up with something substandard that we have to live with for years to come.
What is good looking, or ugly, is surely a matter of opinion? I think the design of the new building is functional, but not ugly. It is just bland. But it could look good with some clever lighting. Don't forget that the more embellishments you put on the exterior of a building the more it costs to build and maintain.

My point was that I thought that members wanted it to look good whether it did the job or not.

I haven't looked at the full submission yet, only what has been posted on here. I will try in the next couple of days.

Nobody else puzzled that after new customs you're straight out the door to outside? Where will everyone wait for Arrivals? Plus no cafe or shops?

Agreed leedslad -surely there must be a connection to the main terminal, information desk, car hire, café, buses, etc.

Anyone can feedback via the consultation pages on the LBA website and I've made the point so would suggest we all make the point to make sure its captured!

Nobody else puzzled that after new customs you're straight out the door to outside? Where will everyone wait for Arrivals? Plus no cafe or shops?

I think that if you follow the plan literally and exited customs the way that is shown, you would end up falling into the service yard. I suspect the plan is designed to show flow rather than exact specifics. After all, the interior hasn't been fully designed as yet and there will likely be some revision.

My initial thoughts are that the layout is vastly improved over the current offering.
  • The arrivals and departures being separated can only be a good thing for the airport. I can't count the amount of times boarding has been delayed to allow arriving passengers to pass in front of the departure gates. Indeed, when I travelled to Southampton last year, the situation was nothing short of farcical.
  • The design itself, if a little unimaginative, is very sensible and utilises the space very well. I've been saying for years that LBA needed a new terminal building where the new arrivals hall will be placed as it was the most obvious place for it to go. The design allows future expansion to be consistent with the current building rather than the poorly thought out 'add-ons' of the past.
  • The arrivals experience will be enhanced no end. The current experience is one of the worst in Britain and gives a first impression that we just don't care about our country or visitors to it. Arriving passengers will actually have a facility that is designed specifically for their needs rather than a series of corridors and sheds that are not fit for purpose.
Despite the obvious benefits, there are a number of things that bother me.

• Half of the departures area in the new extension is being left 'void' or for future development. Surely this is a really good opportunity to develop the area fully and create lots of seating for the passengers? The lack of seating is a real issue in LBA and has been for many years.
  • The domestic arrivals area is still in the same place, right in the middle of departures. Could it not be incorporated into the new building so that all arrivals are handled in the same area? If it must remain where it is, will it be enhanced to the same standard as international arrivals? Where will Heathrow arrivals go?
  • I would have liked to have seen more energy saving measures. I know that the airport has stated solar panels are difficult to install due to the possible effect on aircraft but there is a real opportunity to build something truly environmentally friendly. For example, natural light coming through the roof, rainwater collection, renewable energy - it's quite a windy spot, for example.
At any rate, the plan is much better than the one previously dreamed up by Bridgepoint to fill in the semi circle and will be much more sustainable in future.

Unfortunately I missed last Thursdays public meeting as still in Ireland after the Ryanair AGM.
Making any building pretty usually means cladding, a dirty word today, ugly usually means safe.
A lot of materials used in ducting whilst still save under building regulations, are now deemed unsafe to use.
I would rather have a plain outside and no false ceilings.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock