flybe elmdon74.JPG

After much speculation regarding the future of Flybe the airline has announced it is now for sale. The airline blames difficult trading conditions, continuing Brexit uncertainty and rising fuel prices for it's decision.

Picture by @elmdon74

Last edited by a moderator:
On the dried fruit forum someone has posted a rumour saying that BA Cityflyer and Flybe are close to a merger.

I hope Flybe pull this off. Despite recent ranglings the airline has operated successfully for many years and is overall a sound business. They know, we all know changes need to be made to ensure the airlines long term viability but I am sure they can make it through the current woes.

Being part of a bigger group and in time hopefully the DL/VS/KL/AF transatlantic venture as a feeder airline will help them and maybe give them a focus and financial security.

I hope both VS and BA are interested in Flybe for what it is and not just its LHR slots. I don't want to sound cynical but a large part of UK regional air links are down to Flybe, I hope both parties see the importance of that.

I don`t think the LHR slots even come into the equation as they are not even Flybe to sell as they
are from the BA BMI takeover and connot be used except on the a very few domestic flights and Moscow or Riyhad

I'm not sure what benefit IAG would get from buying them unless they are genuinely interested in the UK regions again. People keep mentioning the LHR slots but IAG would get them back. Even with feed virgin arent a threat to them.

I'm not sure what benefit IAG would get from buying them unless they are genuinely interested in the UK regions again. People keep mentioning the LHR slots but IAG would get them back. Even with feed virgin arent a threat to them.

From what I remember BA hived off their regional routes to Flybe years back, I can't see why they would be suddenly interested again.

Looks like British Airways owner IAG has officially joined the race to buy Flybe

https://news.sky.com/story/flybe-boosted-by-report-of-ba-owner-interest-11564094

Reading the story its far from official apparantly..The story is from a Telegraph hack that may or may not be well informed, or even informed at all.However the `Teenage Scribblers` in the city seem to be having an orgy on the back of it..Make of it what you will. I`ll be convinced when WW actually puts a bid in.

If they are interested i hope it's because they want to add Flybe as it is as a regional airline and not too just prevent competitors getting hold of them and folding them.

I think flybe have some sort of contract with IOM government in over ensure patients from the island can use hospitals in Liverpool. I know Easyjet also do the IOM-LPL route but flybe offer a greater frequency, which is probably important to the House of Keys.

Reported in todays financial pages of the Sunday Times that Flybe and Monarch Engineering are in dispute over the maintenance contract,
Flybe claim Monarch are in breach of contract by demanding improved payment terms for work done and Monarch subsequently canceled the contract.
Don't know how this will pan out but its definitely worth remembering that MAELare controlled by Greybull who came out of the Monarch collapse just fine so Flybe need to tread carefully, either way BHX (my airport so to speak) must be a bit twitchy as they could end up in a loose loose situation.

Previously reported on the BHX forum that MAEL are fully loaded for 2019 so presumably feel that they have a strong hand and Greybull are formidable opponents

From what I remember BA hived off their regional routes to Flybe years back, I can't see why they would be suddenly interested again.
Yes, in 2007 Flybe bought BAConnect from BA and promptly axed a number of routes. For example, the five-aircraft BAConnect base at BRS was closed and nearly all the routes were discontinued.

There would be some irony in Flybe going the other way and becoming owned by IAG.

Indeed there would be a great deal of irony if IAG were to purchase Flybe what goes around comes around as the saying goes. Mind you I will be suprised if IAG do actually buy them and cannot see it being particularly good fo regional aviation as the mantra in the U.K. for them is feed Heathrow /London for BA.

I think if IAG do buy them it'll be as a regional airline.
The problem will be that Flybe has a lot of bases at airports that generally IAG don't have much interest in so they may decide to consolidate to 3 or 4 bases culling a lot of the inter regional routes and a lot of the regional to Europe routes which for many airports would be a massive blow.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock