• Admin
What is the smallest airport you have flown from?
1554972070651.png

For me it was the Bristol and Gloucestershire Gliding Club at Nympsfield in the Cotswolds above the Severn Vale near Stroud in Gloucestershire. My first and so far only glider trip was in a Schleicher KA-13 which was towed into the air and the pilot, who was brave enough to let me 'have a go' for few minutes, kept us circling, riding the thermals for nearly an hour.

More recently I was taken up in a Tiger Moth from what is perhaps pretentiously called Torquay Airport in Victoria, Australia. It's a grass strip but the company running it has a selection of small passenger aircraft available for sight-seeing trips, as well as the Tiger Moths for those who want an al fresco experience - highly recommended for people with an interest in such things.

As for a regular airport, probably Bristol around fifty years ago when its runway was considerably shorter than its current ratherly miserly 2011 metres and fewer annual passengers were handled than it now sees in a busy summer long weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: What is the smallest airport you have flown from?

A great topic for a discussion! I was going to say either Bergerac in France but then I remembered I've been to Beauvais, Ryanair's excuse for a Paris airport. Then I also remembered while in New Zealand a few years ago I flew on a 6 seater from a Queenstown grass airstrip to Milford Sound. On a cloudless day it was beautiful!

lands-end-airport.jpg

Lands End

gliding_in_glos_02_470x353.jpg

0705230935186933594623.jpg

Bergerac

torquay-airport-aerial-1.jpg

Torquay Airport in Victoria, Australia

Last edited:

Boulder City airport Nevada to Grand Canyon west airport Arizona.

With the latter just edging it i think. The twin otter was a great experience with no flight deck door you were almost a part of the flight crew!!

As for the Grand Canyon, seeing is believing....

:crazy:

LBA787 said:
Boulder City airport Nevada to Grand Canyon west airport Arizona.

With the latter just edging it i think. The twin otter was a great experience with no flight deck door you were almost a part of the flight crew!!

As for the Grand Canyon, seeing is believing....

:crazy:

...and people think LBA and BRS were build in the wrong place!!!

Gotta be Zelten Libya.
3206266.jpg

It is an oil field that was connected by pipeline to Brega, where i lived as a youngster, landed there with Libyan Arab Airlines, another F27. departed shortly after to complete flight to Brega. Airport consisted of a semi flat piece of road, and packed sand, terminal was 2 Toyota land cruisers and a land rover defender...

During honeymoon, in Maldives 2006, water plane landed just outside our beach villa regularly, with no real warning, caused me a few scary snorkeling moments, airport was the 50 ft jetty at the beach. Those were excellent flights, with the pilots opening side windows when in cloud to let us feel it in the face. First water landing was a nervy one, think i recorded it, must have a wee jook...

MaldivesSeaplane.JPG

I don't know how I have missed reading this thread!!
I have got to agree with LBA787, Grand Canyon West has got to be the smallest I have flown from.

If i was a pedant, the answer would be, a small airport.
The question, i presume, is supposed to read 'which' instead of 'what' ?
But I'm no picky bugger me..! just bored.. :drinks:

:LOL:

The smallest airport I've used would have to be one of the Greek Island airports. I remember on one occasion four flights were departing back to the UK and with only four check in desks the queue's were outside, Gatwick and Birmingham out the door and to the right Glasgow and Manchester out the door and to the left, luckily it was the middle of the night so wasn't too hot.

Smallest, field at the back of the blacksmiths in Berkswell. Bell jetranger G-BAKS. I think 1973. Helicopter was used in a Bond film and later destroyed in an accident. Had a photogragh of us taking off for many years but lost it.

Inis Mor in the Aran Islands. Runway 1,608 ft. Served by Aer Aran Islands using BN-2A Islanders.
The smallest landing site I've flown onto is a 25ftx25ft pontoon in Manchester Docks in 1983 in a Red Rose Helicopters Jet Ranger with the President of the European Commission on board.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock