Had a walk up to the NEC today just to see what was going on.

Obviously it was very busy but things were well organised with the military doing much of the security screening. The set up is similar to Smithfield with plenty to do and again, plenty of high fives with the foam fingers. Resorts World also looked to be doing some decent trade with most of the bars and restaurants either full or very close to being full. My only disappointment was that the walkway from the station to the main atrium was closed to the public meaning a long walk around the back of the arena, not a major issue on a day like today though.

Had a walk through BHX which was also very busy. I noticed that Wrapchic has closed down which is a shame, no sign of what (if anything) is to replace it. Greggs looks as if it's already proving very popular.

Some of Team South Africa and Team Nigeria were checking in at the Turkish Airlines desk, great to see them using Birmingham but sad to see people heading home and a realisation that it all ends tomorrow 🙁

Just watched England win gold in the hockey, lots of raving from the commentators about how amazing the University of Birmingham campus is (y)

M
Dario,your final para sums it up. As a Brummie in exile, who sadly does not come home too often, I sensed today something different. A city and region awakened and singing proudly about itself.

yes when the games are gone, it will go back to quietly getting on with life and offering a gallic shrug to its detractors, but knowing that when it wants to it can show itself off and people will sit up and take notice.
My dad has told of me two times That Birmingham was snubbed well the stories I remember. The first The New Home of English Football, Wembley was deemed to Small and The FA and Government looked at either a new Wembley or new Location. Birmingham was a city that proposed it could build a New Wembley next to BHX. It made Sense M6, M5, M42, M40, M1 and so all accessible, WCML Trains to London, Scotland, Manchester, Liverpool, Yorkshire and so on so every team could get there easily. Also next to BHX an airport that could have been expanded to handle lots of crowds, but no Birmingham was snubbed for London. The Second story he told me was on the Birmingham bid to host the 92 Olympics but Obviously Barcelona hosted them. He said Maggie Thatcher was dismissive of Brum Hosting them and the British Olympic Committee had the bid laughed at by the IOC who along with Thatcher agreed London we want London to host it. Granted it makes sense London is the Capital and Wembley was in London, But Birmingham is Central England the heart Logically it made sense. But now after this Birmingham could host the World Championships and Olympics. We have the Infrastructure and Ability granted some stuff will be needed to be built ie Velodrome, Rowing and stuff but Birmingham has done itself proud the only issues that have occurred are minor in the fact Coventry are going to want Compensation for the fact there Pitch was ruined in the Rugby Severns and they have had to Postpone the match against Rotherham tonight also maybe Residents being affected by the Council desicons and Stagecoach arguably not operating the Shuttle Buses properly. My mates dad says the X51, 51, 997 and so on by the Alex get rammed he has seen Stagecoach Double Decker buses empty. For Sandwell the same was said with NXWM 12 and 89 taking the Strain as Stagecoach Operate the Wrong Route or something. But other than that and despite Rail strikes, Roadworks J10 is closed again and Blues playing at Home and Albion tomorrow Birmingham has done itself proud and well I reckon we could get Eurovision Granted Liverpool and Manchester would be valid choices Liverpool for the Beatles and Manchester For Oasis, Birmingham though has several Arena's to host it take a pick. And of course World Athletics Championships, Swimming and so on. Birmingham already hosts the World Indoor, the Alex is Already to British Athletics but now the World awaits.

Had a walk up to the NEC today just to see what was going on.

Obviously it was very busy but things were well organised with the military doing much of the security screening. Resorts World looked to be doing some decent trade with most of the bars and restaurants either full or very close to being full. My only disappointment was that the walkway from the station to the main atrium was closed to the public meaning a long walk around the back of the arena, not a major issue on a day like today though.

Had a walk through BHX which was also very busy. I noticed that Wrapchic has closed down which is a shame, no sign of what (if anything) is to replace it. Greggs looks as if it's already proving very popular.

Some of Team South Africa and Team Nigeria were checking in at the Turkish Airlines desk, great to see them using Birmingham but sad to see people heading home and a realisation that it all ends tomorrow 🙁

Just watched England win gold in the hockey, lots of raving from the commentators about how amazing the University of Birmingham campus is (y)
My dad went there he says it is actually like that though and they have lots more facilities. Also shouldn't the Athletes being staying for tomorrow. Also local Boxer Delicious Orie going to fight for Gold at 9PM at a Sold out NEC

Yes, sad that it's all over now. It seems to have flown past. From what I've seen on TV, everyone has been full of praise for how Birmingham (and the West Midlands) have hosted the Commonwealth Games. Apparently over 1.5 million tickets were sold and the city had less time to prepare than usual, due to the change of venue. I'm certain that a good proportion of the world has now seen 'the new Brum' and hopefully will forget the outdated idea of a city of concrete jungles and polluting factories. Birmingham has changed, much for the better and is now a thriving, vibrant multicultural city with the youngest population in Europe.
Congratulations, Birmingham! Job done with distinction!

Kevin

Yes, sad that it's all over now. It seems to have flown past. From what I've seen on TV, everyone has been full of praise for how Birmingham (and the West Midlands) have hosted the Commonwealth Games. Apparently over 1.5 million tickets were sold and the city had less time to prepare than usual, due to the change of venue. I'm certain that a good proportion of the world has now seen 'the new Brum' and hopefully will forget the outdated idea of a city of concrete jungles and polluting factories. Birmingham has changed, much for the better and is now a thriving, vibrant multicultural city with the youngest population in Europe.
Congratulations, Birmingham! Job done with distinction!

Kevin
As the saxophonist from Dexys said this morning, and bear in mind he is a Scot, forget the buildings it is the people.

But I have to say the people were astonishing, but the buildings and the city look amazing.

At last we shone in the sun...thanks to the weather gods as well.

Bostin

Was watching Albion what was England's Entrance Music this time. Also Birmingham has the youngest Population because it has 3 Universities all world acclaimed. Aston, BCU and UOB. But overall Great for this area and Now after the Hype has died down we will just get back on with our lives September is around the Corner showing School, College and University return and Winter ay far. I love seeing Birmingham or The West Midlands at Night in Winter as I commute home and the bus is late and I stand there freezing to death and then a fellow YamYam or Brummie is waiting to you realise this area is really a Warm, Welcoming Place. Proud to be from here, despite not having an accent

Yes the original Birmingham bid was for the 2026 games but when the issues in Durban happened we ended up with 2022 leaving just over 3 and a half years to prepare, much less than the usual seven years given to the host city. When we also take into account that during this period we had 18 or so months of lockdowns and restrictions just getting the games on would have been an achievement in itself but doing them in such spectacular style is nothing short of astonishing.

What I am most impressed about is the variety of venues that they managed to pull together within this time. Given all of the constraints I imagine it would have be all too easy to dump the vast majority of events in the NEC and whilst it would have coped no problem I feel having the hockey with the stunning backdrop of the University of Birmingham and the triathlon in Sutton Park just made it even more special. And Smithfield........ a huge fan park containing two arenas and all of the entertainment that went with it, right in the heart of the city....... just brilliant. I hope that once the actual development starts the square that they create is designed to be able to hold something like this in the future, it's a sure fire winner.

A truly incredible job done by all concerned 👏👏

Anyway, great party last night with another cracking show to end it all in style.

So glad Ozzy made it 😁

See you all again in 2040 for the Birmingham Summer Olympics, looooooooooooooooool

And I am not joking, they are seriously considering putting in a bid, ha and why not ??

However I think if something like this was to ever come off it would be a joint Birmingham/Manchester bid or something like that outside of the capital ?

What do we think and I am inviting the MAN fans into this discussion too ;-)

Interesting idiea but obviously Brum must have the athletics, swimming, gymnastics and beach volleyball Manchester has its velodrome and can have the footy as were useless, we must have the opening and closing ceremonies and and we can fight over the boxing say half way in Stoke

This is tongue in cheek by the way NOT intending to start World War III and to be honest can't seeit flying.

Well seems Birmingham 2022 is already having an impact:

As for the Olympics, host cities/countries have been selected out until 2032 (2024 Paris, 2028 Los Angeles, 2032 Brisbane). Of the 32 modern Olympics that have been held, 17 have been in Europe, with Africa never having hosted and South America only once.

Whilst I'd love to see Birmingham bid to host say the track and field events of a UK wide Olympics, in the spirit of fairness, Europe shouldn't be hosting another games until the late 2040's, and the UK probably not until after 2050 given its hosted the 2nd most number of games (admittedly all in London).

Who knows, by 2050 Birmingham may have grown enough to be able to put in a solo bid and not as part of a UK wide bid.

However I think if something like this was to ever come off it would be a joint Birmingham/Manchester bid or something like that outside of the capital ?

What do we think and I am inviting the MAN fans into this discussion too ;-)

Hosting the Olympics in it's current from is a whole different league to the Commonwealth Games. After what we have just seen I've no doubt that Birmingham could do it but it would require some pretty hefty investment from central government. Doesn't it cost tens, if not hundreds of millions just to make a bid? That said, I'm sure I read somewhere that the Brisbane games in 2032 are to be somewhat scaled back, if so maybe there is scope for something in the 2040's?

The article linked below gives an interesting insight into the economics of hosting an Olympic Games. If nothing changes then I don't see why a joint Manchester/Birmingham bid shouldn't at least be explored, although it may have to be after HS2 is finished (if it ever is) as there are rules on travel times between venues. Spreading the immense cost over two regions may also be more favourable for Her Majesty's Treasury?

For now I'd like Birmingham to get their bid for the 2026 Euros over the line and go for the World's after that.

Gone are the days of London 2012 when a city plays host to a multi sport event by building from scratch. Glasgow built litter, so did Tokyo and now Birmingham. Paris is doing the same. So a future Olympic host city will be one which has the ability at bid time to host.

For that you need:

A stadium that is ready or can quickly be made ready
A good sized exhibition centre
A couple of indoor arenas, preferably sport rather than just concerts
Good outdoor space
Access to sailing, rowing etc
Pool
Accommodation
Proven track record
Hotel accommodation (I think it is 25,000 bed spaces)
Plus the community infrastructure, pool of volunteers and proof of likely ticket sales, revenues
Security
Accessibility incl airport capacity

Uh. All pretty much ticked. What it will come down to, despite all of that in place is, eh, cost.

I cannot see a twin city event working. Oh the bun fights. But Don Henley once said that the Eagles would not reform until hell freezes over. They did, and hell didn't.

I think Birmingham should focus, as it successfully done so in the past, on world and euro championships and how about a Tour De France grand depart?

Interesting idiea but obviously Brum must have the athletics, swimming, gymnastics and beach volleyball Manchester has its velodrome and can have the footy as were useless, we must have the opening and closing ceremonies and and we can fight over the boxing say half way in Stoke

This is tongue in cheek by the way NOT intending to start World War III and to be honest can't seeit flying.
We have Villa Park (Disgusting), St Andrews (Decent), The Hawthorns (Magnificent) and Molienux (Custard Bowl) Ay Villa planning to expand Vile Park to 50/60K If so 1 grand delusions and 2 It would bigger than the Emptyhad but smaller than Old Trafford so Semi Finals, if Rugby Sevens come in host it in Coventry or Vile Park but put a Temporary Surface on so the pitch ay screwed

Hi DarloPlaneBoy.

As Blue nose with deep routes (my dad played for them way back and I have his contract at home including a win bonus of £5 ?) I've never bought into the hate Villa stuff or any other team for that matter local or otherwise.

There is a sports forum on this site with a dedicated football thread which is probably best suited for specific football comments.

Albion and Blues have always had a decent relationship although I've never forgotten the Baggies knocking us out of the FA Cup semi final at Villa Park, I was there as they say.

Wiw, what a difference a Commonwealth Games makes. The I newspaper has not been a great advocate of Brum....but

The conclusion is:

It has been a long time coming, but it is surely time to help the city solidify its place on this map. Brummies are friendly, warm and now world-famous for their unique welcome – the kind of city spirit that Eurovision seeks for its next host city.

In fact, you don’t even need to be from the city to be a Brummie. Malala had never heard of Birmingham but in her opening ceremony speech she proudly exclaimed she “would soon come to understand it.” Haven’t we all.

:)
Darn the secret is out.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock