Ianbutty

Feb 29, 2016
Essex

Ianbutty

Feb 29, 2016
Essex
The big problem that I have with all of these high rise buildings, is that they all look the same. Nothing has any character any more.

Kevin
I agree to some extent. There is a sameness, particularly in Birmingham, and Manchester, but there is an elegance also. What is vital to tall building design is the height to width ratio, which in both cities is achieved with striking results.

Thankfully no where in the UK, except a few exceptions in London, have we had a repeat of the hideousness of the bulbous rubbish in some middle Eastern cities - think Doha!!! Of course there is the truly grotesque Walkie Talkie in London regarded by many as the worst building of them all. As a planner, the general consensus is one of horror that the monstrosity ever got planning permission.

What has always struck me about many US skylines is the 90 degree verticality. It displays confidence.

I must congratulate the planners in Birmingham, and Manachester, for not allowing silliness and ego to take over their skylines, both of which smack of "look at me." Showing off usually masks a lack of confidence.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.