• Admin
International Women's Day at Birmingham Airport

Birmingham Airport celebrated International Women’s Day with a series of activities running across the Airport based on the official theme #BalancedforBetter.

This year’s #IWD2019 is about raising awareness against bias and taking action for equality, with emphasis being placed on how a gender-balanced world is better for all.

To celebrate women’s achievements, Birmingham Airport reached out to some of its most inspiring female employees to share the reasons why International Women’s Day is important to them. A series of videos have been captured and shared across the Airport’s social media channels, showcasing achievements made by women across the business.

View attachment 12526

Angela Fisher, Payroll Manager at Birmingham Airport, joined in September 1983 making her the Airport’s longest standing female employee. Angela started as a trainee in the post room, later securing a vacancy in the payroll department where she took on the title of Clerical Assistant. In 2006 she was promoted to Payroll Manager and has worked in the same role to this very day.

Angela has shared her advice to other women wanting to start a career in HR: “Be open to all opportunities thrown your way and grasp all change – this is not only beneficial in keeping yourself relevant, but it will also help you grow in confidence as an individual, which is key to getting yourself out there.”

Kirstin Kane, Head of Sustainability at Birmingham Airport, joined in October 2000 at the age of 16. Kirstin started as a trainee in the HR department originally, but as the Airport shifted its focus to sustainability and the environment, there was a need to recruit in this area. Kirstin took on the role of Trainee Environmental Officer gaining on the job training, as well as a series of Diplomas and Degrees to build on her knowledge. Kirstin worked her way up the ranks to her current position.

Kirstin’s advice to women wanting to start a career in Sustainability is: “At times I have sat in boardrooms where I have been the only female and often, significantly younger than others around me. This has really shaped who I am today, and my input is as valid and as respected as anyone else’s. My advice is to be open and honest, know your subject and have patience and the perseverance to see your projects through to completion. Working on your personal brand and putting time into developing your confidence and network is also very important.”

Kay Hodgkisson, Customer Experience and Standards Manager at Birmingham Airport has worked in various roles for 20 years. Starting her career as a check-in agent at 18 years of age, Kay moved onto various roles eventually joining the Birmingham Airport Customer Service team, as a Passenger Services Manager. After four years, Kay was promoted to her current role where she leads the Customer Experience Operational team.

Kay’s advice to other women wanting to start a career in Customer Experience is: “Be yourself, demonstrate what you can do to the highest standard and be proud. It’s about believing in yourself to achieve the best result - and when the best result is delivered, your job will become the most satisfying.”

International Women’s Day cupcakes were also shared with employees across the Head Office as well as terminal to celebrate the day.

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock