jason1-11

Premium Member
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2009
LONDON
Country
United-Kingdom
I was a member in circa 1985-88 ish maybe longer. I used to be get Rotate but I think I collected it from Air Supply on the high street.

I used to do the trips. Heathrow was my first with plenty of 727’s, 707’s etc. There was also a Luton visit on the way home.

I seem to recall a visit to Coventry via Wellsbourne, Bristol in the poring rain and one to Stansted where we had a tour of the hangars which had one exotic 707’s/DC8’s from Africa. These were on a minibus not the coach though.

Hopefully my memory isn’t fading and these were trips organised as some of the others were air shows I attended which were excellent compared to todays health and safety requirements.

I certainly went on some of their coach trips in the late 80’s. I’m 99% sure the routing was Heathrow, Gatwick with a quick drop into Luton on the return. I wonder how many people on those coaches ~35 years ago are now active LBA F4A contributors:unsure:

Seasider

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Jan 16, 2009
East Coast
hi all
this has stirred up old memories, i still see some of the lads from the days of B.I.A.S.but we are not young any more,in my case 78 years young,one of my favourite speakers was capt dave henry of uk leisure,i was lucky to have a jump seat 14 landing on return from malaga.
happy days
regards
sm
.....and there was I thinking I was the oldest member. :unsure:

scottrhino

May 27, 2015
I certainly went on some of their coach trips in the late 80’s. I’m 99% sure the routing was Heathrow, Gatwick with a quick drop into Luton on the return. I wonder how many people on those coaches ~35 years ago are now active LBA F4A contributors:unsure:
Yes you’re right Jason. I loved #Gatwick it had airlines that only served the uk from there. CP Air, Northwest, Air Zimbabwe, Meridiana to name but a few.

I was at a family gathering recently with Trevor Paget who I believe worked in dispatch for many years. His wife Jean was an air traffic controller from memory.

I also used to live close to Mrs Elias (not spelt correctly I don’t think). I think she was originally from Hungary and ran the flying club bar for many years. She was quite a local legend.

Last edited:

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
Yes you’re right Jason. I loved #Gatwick it had airlines that only served the uk from there. CP Air, Northwest, Air Zimbabwe, Meridiana to name but a few.

I was at a family gathering recently with Trevor Paget who I believe worked in dispatch for many years. His wife Jean was an air traffic controller from memory.

I also used to live close to Mrs Elias (not spelt correctly I don’t think). I think she was originally from Hungary and ran the flying club bar for many years. She was quite a local legend.
Trying to think of her first name, must admit I thought she was German.

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
She also had an assistant called Amy, who did a parachute jump, and at the time was the eldest female to do a parachute jump in the UK. I believe that it was televised on YTV’s Calendar with Austin Mitchell. That was when the parachute club was based at LBA. They had a drop zone behind the Avro factory at that time.
Yes, Hilda and Amy. I recall a jump pilot called Andy Skelly.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.