airforced

Premium Member
Subscriber
May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
I'm flying in and out of Ljubljana early June courtesy of easyJet and have heard or read somwhere that after security there are different departures areas for Schengen and non-Schengen flights. It is said that the non-Schengen bit has much reduced facilities compared with the Schengen lounge.

Has anyone been through LJU in the last few years who can advise me on this and any other items worthy of note when travelling to a non-Schengen destination? My flight out is on 3 June from LGW.

Okay. Having completed my trip to and from Ljubljana I'll answer my own question for the benefit of anyone visiting this small (population only 2m) but beautiful country.

LJU is the only major airport in Slovenia but it doesn't handle a great deal of traffic and as far as i can tell easyJet (STN and LGW) are the only low cost UK airlines flying in there, quite a few times each week. BA (LHR) is rumoured to be starting operating there this July. Adria (the national Slovenian carrier) is the major user of the airport as you would expect. The airport is run by Fraport.

It is a small airport with small facilities as expected. Free WiFi is advertised but I wasn't able to log in to it unfortunately so can't comment further on that. Check-in is simple and straightforward and efficient as is security (two lines). From there you enter a Duty Free area which is for both Schengen and non-Schengen flights. Even though the choice of products on offer is very limited (no smoking products on display as is the case everywhere in Slovenia) a very limited selection is available at the cash desk as you exit. If you are a smoker you are advised to buy in a Trafika shop or supermarket before you get to the airport. I found the Mercator supermarkets to be the best bet with usually good supplies whilst the Trafika shops were a bit hit and miss. The good news if that premium UK brands only cost 3.40€ a packet everywhere. After the duty free area you pass through Passport Control into the Depature Lounges on the first floor. This is where Schengen and non-Schengen passengers are split and facilities in the non-Schengen area whilst being adaquate are even more mimimalist so definitely do any shopping and eating before passing through Passport Control. There are smoking facilities in the Departures area but unfortunately in those horrible booths that were quite well ventilated however. An open air terrace would have been much better.

Arrivals was efficient with baggage arriving as quickly as it could be unloaded but I imagine things could get a bit hectic if two flights arrived together!

My question answered and Yes I was very glad to have visited this very scenic country with a very friendly and helpful, when asked, population.

Last edited:

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock