• Admin
View attachment 13388

As life across the City region starts to get back to normal following Liverpool FC’s successful exploits in the Champions League Final, staff at Liverpool John Lennon Airport are reflecting upon success off the field too.

Almost as soon as the final whistle blew at the end of Liverpool’s dramatic semi-final second leg game against Barcelona, planning got underway to ensure that the Airport could handle as many football flights as possible enabling fans to fly from Liverpool to see the Champions League Final in Madrid just 25 days later.

Last weekend those plans came to fruition with 38 extra flights having been laid on by airlines and football tour operators taking almost 8,000 fans over to Madrid from LJLA over a 32 hour period from Friday morning to Saturday lunchtime. Following the match, the same 38 returning flights all landed back at the Airport over a very busy 21 hour period on Sunday, with many arriving back in time to attend the team’s victory parade.

The challenge for the Airport however was not just to cope with the football traffic. A further 27,000 other passengers would be passing through the Airport at the same time during a typical end of May weekend, unconnected with the football as thousands of passengers headed to a mix of holiday and city destinations across Europe.

However the plans in place made sure that passengers travelling from the Airport last weekend were able to enjoy the same passenger experience as normal, with passengers taking less than 10 minutes to pass through security and over 90% of flights departing on time.

The return of the Liverpool team with the Champions League Trophy on Sunday was the icing on the cake for the Airport and the culmination of all the Airport’s efforts to facilitate the departure and subsequent return of thousands of supporters to and from Madrid, accommodating a diverse mix of airlines and aircraft, including a Boeing 747-400 jumbo jet, Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Airbus A330 and the team’s Boeing 767.

View attachment 13390
Jürgen Klopp and Jordan Henderson return home with the Champions League Trophy at LJLA.

Paul Staples, Operations Director for Liverpool John Lennon Airport commented, “This has been an amazing few days for the airport and all who work here and a fantastic advert for what this airport is capable of.

To have been able to accommodate all these extra flights whilst delivering our renowned high levels of operational service for those passengers and airlines using the airport at the same time, is a tremendous achievement that everyone who works here is rightly proud of.”

“We’re already looking forward to next year’s final in Istanbul and hoping Liverpool can repeat this year’s achievements.”

Last edited:
It would appear the airport had plans well placed to process the Madrid passengers, I've seen nothing negative in the press, and they do tend to love to point out things when they go wrong. Same for regular passengers travelling, none seemed to have experienced any processing delays.

What I would like to see is Wideroe add to their destinations . Bergen seems to have done well, SVG and or OSL must be considerations for them, hopefully recent LFC success will encourage them. Who knows maybe Vueling might look at Liverpool again after their experience of operating many Liverpool to Madrid flights.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock