Advertisement

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
Sheffield Wednesday

The club has been found to be in breach of football's FFP regulations and will face a 12 point penalty next season. Wigan were earlier penalised 12 points which was to be applied this season if the deduction took them into relegation (which it did) or next season if it didn't.

Had the 12 point deduection to Wednesday been applied this season they would have finished in bottom place in the Championship with 44 points and relegated. That would mean that Charlton Athletic would have escaped relegation.

The below report speaks of possible legal action.

Rob c DSA

Platinum Member
May 27, 2017
worksop
One reason for the points deduction coming in to force next season is because in normal times the 19/20 season would of ended way before the hearing concluded, the hearing would of still ended when it has meaning it would have been enforced next season anyway as the fixture list and leagues would of already been decide in June of this year ironic that the this has come out today, the 20/21 season should of started tonight. The Wigan situation is different and why they got hit for this season

Whichever way you look at it it's a mess the Championship bring Wigan in they've been hit then Brum who got away with it this time last time it was 9 point deduction for them. Villla who managed to get promoted before they could be done for anything they would have been in huge trouble if they hadn't of got promoted when they did. Reading not sure where they stand however they have had issue's and Derby could be in the mix for a points deduction too.

The biggest loser though - the fans and as a Wednesday fan it won't be much fun watching what in effect could look like a league one team playing in the Championship next season with a 12 point gap to make up for starters. Bolton found thing very tough to start fielding kids who were out of there depth I see a similar situation happening in S6 :banghead::banghead::banghead:

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
One reason for the points deduction coming in to force next season is because in normal times the 19/20 season would of ended way before the hearing concluded, the hearing would of still ended when it has meaning it would have been enforced next season anyway as the fixture list and leagues would of already been decide in June of this year ironic that the this has come out today, the 20/21 season should of started tonight. The Wigan situation is different and why they got hit for this season

Whichever way you look at it it's a mess the Championship bring Wigan in they've been hit then Brum who got away with it this time last time it was 9 point deduction for them. Villla who managed to get promoted before they could be done for anything they would have been in huge trouble if they hadn't of got promoted when they did. Reading not sure where they stand however they have had issue's and Derby could be in the mix for a points deduction too.

The biggest loser though - the fans and as a Wednesday fan it won't be much fun watching what in effect could look like a league one team playing in the Championship next season with a 12 point gap to make up for starters. Bolton found thing very tough to start fielding kids who were out of there depth I see a similar situation happening in S6 :banghead::banghead::banghead:
The 12 point deduction was not applied to Wigan until early July after they went into administration, again long after the usual 19/20 season should have finished. The team that is really affected is Charlton Athletic who would have escaped relegation had the 12 point deduction been applied to Wednesday this season. Then again, if the Wigan points penalty had been carried over to next season Barnsley would have been relegated, so I suppose it's the usual winners and losers that typifies life in general.

Why are sports administrators so out of touch with the real world? Will Carling was complaining about the 'old farts' who ran the Rugby Union many years ago. Nothing much seems to have changed across the sporting spectrum.

Fans expect and are entitled to expect consistency but your outline of the differing sanctions, or in some cases lack of sanctions, applied to various clubs for seemingly similar transgressions, really says it all.

Rob c DSA

Platinum Member
May 27, 2017
worksop
The 12 point deduction was not applied to Wigan until early July after they went into administration, again long after the usual 19/20 season should have finished. The team that is really affected is Charlton Athletic who would have escaped relegation had the 12 point deduction been applied to Wednesday this season. Then again, if the Wigan points penalty had been carried over to next season Barnsley would have been relegated, so I suppose it's the usual winners and losers that typifies life in general.

Why are sports administrators so out of touch with the real world? Will Carling was complaining about the 'old farts' who ran the Rugby Union many years ago. Nothing much seems to have changed across the sporting spectrum.

Fans expect and are entitled to expect consistency but your outline of the differing sanctions, or in some cases lack of sanctions, applied to various clubs for seemingly similar transgressions, really says it all.
Wigan situation was dealt with quickly by the EFL so I assume with the season still ongoing that's why they got an immediate points deduction to be applied at the end of the season like it was.

Suppose the issue for the EFL is every case is different meaning it's difficult to have a hard set of rules, fines and points deductions in place, obviously they saw Birmingham's issue's in a slightly better light when they got there 9 point deduction 18 month or so back.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
Wigan situation was dealt with quickly by the EFL so I assume with the season still ongoing that's why they got an immediate points deduction to be applied at the end of the season like it was.
Which begs the question that if Wigan had gone into administration in late June/early July in a 'normal' season would they have had their points deduction delayed until the forthcoming season rather than the one that ended several weeks beforehand? Practicalities suggest that they certainly would have had the penalty carried over which might mean that clubs try to 'time' administrations in future.

Obviously there are other considerations that drive companies into administration - football or otherwise - but if it's a case of a few weeks delay club owners might take note of the respective outcomes of Wigan Athletic and Sheffield Wednesday.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
Will Carling definitely had something when he let rip upon the Rugby Union but Association Football has no one unless you count Roy Keane and he mercifully says little. But when he does, people listen. I believe points deduction is a blunt instrument by way of passing punishment but if a sanction is warranted, there is a transfer ban, or a ban on participation in cup competitions, crowd limits or stand closure. Hurt the club's administrator but not the competition they play in.

Besides, FFP is now discredited thanks to the Court of Arbitration in Sport and the judgment upon Manchester City v. UEFA.

Rob c DSA

Platinum Member
May 27, 2017
worksop
Which begs the question that if Wigan had gone into administration in late June/early July in a 'normal' season would they have had their points deduction delayed until the forthcoming season rather than the one that ended several weeks beforehand? Practicalities suggest that they certainly would have had the penalty carried over which might mean that clubs try to 'time' administrations in future.

Obviously there are other considerations that drive companies into administration - football or otherwise - but if it's a case of a few weeks delay club owners might take note of the respective outcomes of Wigan Athletic and Sheffield Wednesday.
Yes Wigan would of been in the same situation as Wednesday with a deduction for the coming season, some of those who just escaped relegation this season and will almost certainly struggle next season would have been rubbing there hands at that idea two relegation spots virtually tied up already for the coming season.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
Will Carling definitely had something when he let rip upon the Rugby Union but Association Football has no one unless you count Roy Keane and he mercifully says little. But when he does, people listen. I believe points deduction is a blunt instrument by way of passing punishment but if a sanction is warranted, there is a transfer ban, or a ban on participation in cup competitions, crowd limits or stand closure. Hurt the club's administrator but not the competition they play in.

Besides, FFP is now discredited thanks to the Court of Arbitration in Sport and the judgment upon Manchester City v. UEFA.
The snag with that is that it's usually points deductions that really hurt most clubs. The wealthier ones in particular don't worry too much about being fined if they achieve their aim by dubious means.

For instance a club would rather be fined and excluded from the League Cup and/or FA Cup if it means they lost no league points and so remained in the Premier League or their promotion to the Premier League was not blocked by a deduction of points, although I agree that transfer bans can play a part but not solely.
Yes Wigan would of been in the same situation as Wednesday with a deduction for the coming season, some of those who just escaped relegation this season and will almost certainly struggle next season would have been rubbing there hands at that idea two relegation spots virtually tied up already for the coming season.
Charlton Athletic say they are considering legal action.

Rob c DSA

Platinum Member
May 27, 2017
worksop
Charlton fans might not agree but they would be better going down both games against Wednesday last season they were terrible they would struggle to stay up next season where as going down they might come straight back up and be stronger in the long run.

JENNYJET

Platinum Member
Subscriber
Subscriber
Subscriber
Dec 15, 2015
ASTWOOD BANK, WORCESTERSHIRE.
I was disappointed to see Wolverhampton fall last night as I was hoping for a semifinal with my team. I was torn between United and Wolves owing to family politics though I am pleased of the progress of the Black Country team even if they give United a regular enema!

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Yes
I was disappointed to see Wolverhampton fall last night as I was hoping for a semifinal with my team. I was torn between United and Wolves owing to family politics though I am pleased of the progress of the Black Country team even if they give United a regular enema!
I too was hoping for an all-England semi-final. Seeing Wolves in the spotlight again takes me back to my school days in the mid-1950s when Wolves were a leading club in the country and played teams such as Moscow Spartak and the Hungarian Honved under floodlights at Molineux shown live on BBC Tv. This was at a time when the 'Magical Magyars' dominated the European international scene thrashing England 6-3 at Wembley and 7-1 in Budapest.

Those were the years before the European Cup began and the games against these overseas teams were regarded almost as unofficial champion of Europe contests. Floodlight football was in its infancy too and not many clubs had them, so watching live football on a midweek winter evening, albeit on a grainy 12-inch monochrome tv set, was a surreal experience then.

Top Bottom