Advertisement

Scanners

Rhino

Aug 8, 2019
Garforth
Hi,
Can anyone offer me some advise.
I am looking to purchase an Airband Scanner.
I live in Garforth which is a distance from the Leeds and Bradford Airport.
I can see planes on final approach to the runway.
Will the scanners pick up the transmissions with the aerial they come supplied with, or what would I need.

thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
Hi,
Can anyone offer me some advise.
I am looking to purchase an Airband Scanner.
I live in Garforth which is a distance from the Leeds and Bradford Airport.
I can see planes on final approach to the runway.
Will the scanners pick up the transmissions with the aerial they come supplied with, or what would I need.

thanks for any help.
Hello @Rhino and welcome to the forum.
The aerial supplied with a scanner should definately pick up transmissions from aircraft, but for ATC there are some factors to consider.
Basically, the radio siganal travels in a straight line therefore any obstruction between scanner and the transmitting station (eg a hill) will effect the signal. I beleive that LBA is situated at quite a high elevation and this should work in your favour.
I have a (now very old) Sony AIR-7 scanner and when I still lived at my parents on the northern edge of the West Midlands, I had no problem receiving ATC from BHX approx 25 miles to the south (this was using the supplied 8 inch Sony aerial). It may be worth noting that area of the West Midlands is over 600ft above sea level compared to BHX at around 325ft.
A bigger (and/or higher mounted) aerial would probably improve reception, but each individual location will be different.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhino

Aug 8, 2019
Garforth
Hi Kevin. That's a hell of a lot more info I have than before I asked. Another one for you should I be looking at a specific brand? Once again thanks

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
Hi Rhino, sorry for my late reply.
I'm a bit out of touch with scanners, but remember the names 'Uniden', 'AOR' and 'Yupiteru'. Prices range from extremely affordable to eye watering (the AOR brand seems to fit this last categry, although they have very high specifications and lots of features). Then there are brands I've not heard of before, such as 'Icom' and 'Baofeng'.
I guess it's going to come down to your budget and requiements (e.g. do you want to listen to both civil and military or civil only?).
There is a good review on choosing a scanner here -

Choosing the Best Airband Scanner and All You Need to Know About Listening to the ATC

It reviews 2 Uniden scanners in the £100 - £120 range. They both seem to have a good specification and the more expensive one has the facility to name frequencies (I guess by connetion to a computer), so instead of just a frequency being displayed, you ould have it read 'Leeds Approach'. It does report a short battery life (if listening from home, you should be able to use an AC adapter) and the aerial could be more sensitive (improved aerials are relatively inexpensive).
I couldn't find one website that reviewed all brands. If you have a retailer near to you, it would be well worth a visit to discuss your requirements.
I hope this goes some way to helping your desicion.

Regards

Kevin

Rhino

Aug 8, 2019
Garforth
Thanks Kevin yes it does help. I didn't want to spend that amount of money for it to stay in the box.
Thanks Colin

Advertisement

Top Bottom