Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Both last nights KLM and PIA diverted because of Fog. Most other traffic made it in.

• Admin
Re: Diversions, Delays & Cancellations

A shocking day today. The RVR was around 200m for most of the day up until around 15:00 when it started to clear. Among the diverts was the Dublin Ryanair that was carrying MOL who was visiting the airport today!!! ???

Does anyone know for definite whether he was coming to LBA??

It's a safe bet that MOL doesn't get involved in the day to day negotiations with airport management - and even if he was, it would be the airport management having to visit him in Ireland !! He does fly in to do press conferences and the like, normally when new bases are being announced. These press conferences are well publiscised a day or two in advance and there has been no hint of anything in LBA or the region in general.

I would guess that after yesterdays weather, he would think twice anyway.

In connection with this, you might wish to see my comments following yesterday's consultative committee, as I asked the airport about FR and a possible base - and basically got no answer other than one an MP would have been proud of!

• Admin

LS16 said:
Does anyone know for definite whether he was coming to LBA??

It's a safe bet that MOL doesn't get involved in the day to day negotiations with airport management - and even if he was, it would be the airport management having to visit him in Ireland !! He does fly in to do press conferences and the like, normally when new bases are being announced. These press conferences are well publiscised a day or two in advance and there has been no hint of anything in LBA or the region in general.

Well nobody here is privy to that sort of information, we just don't know. I did only say that he was visiting LBA, not necessarily to engage in talks with the airport management. So basically, make of it what you will but with my thinking it's kind of like 2+2=?

Neither the airport MD nor Tony Hallwood were at the consultative committee meeting yesterday, so must have been somewhere else. Perhaps they were meeting MOL somewhere in view of his flight being diverted. It would be the least they could do if he was actually coming to see them to discuss a future base or additional routes, although as suggested, i would have thought he might send someone else to carry out such negotiations.

John Parkin and Tony Hallwood are the tops when it comes to expanding smaller regional airports like LBA and BRS.

Assuming the current economic woes aren't a brake on economic progress generally in the next few years, I would take a small wager (say a bottle of decent red - I'm not a big gambler) that LBA will be through the 5 mppa mark within 4-5 years if JP and TH remain in post.

JP usually attended the consultative committee meetings when he was at Bristol, as have all his predecessors, so it could have been something pretty important to have kept him away yesterday.

Heather, off topic although he may have used WOW between BRS and LBA for initial talks, how is Lee Trundle getting on?

• Admin

Travel chaos as snow hits

Blizzards blowing in from Siberia caused chaos across the district this morning.

All flights from Leeds Bradford Airport were delayed in the early hours as staff attempted to clear the runway of around three inches of snow.

The runway was open by 9.10am. A spokesman for the Airport said : "There have been some delays to and from the airport this morning but the runway is now clear and flights are starting to move. We are asking customers to check in as normal."

There were no major problems reported on the roads this morning although traffic was moving very slowly throughout the area.

Meanwhile, around 300 schools were closed throughout Leeds and Bradford as a result of the heavy snow.

In this area, Prince Henry's Grammar School in Otley was the only school reported to have closed by 10am.

However, motorists were warned by the AA to make sure they had extra clothes in the car as the Met Office sent out a severe weather warning with more snow expected by this afternoon.

Source

The airport seem to have done incredibly well today - there were still flights landing as I was walking home from work in blizzard conditions, although it seems clear that most airlines have given up in view of the forcast with most flights now cancelled. It seems though that all aiports from Southampton up to Newcastle on the east side of the Pennines, are having similar problems.

Local Yokel, Lee Trundle has made a positive impact, although not positive enough to bag us a result on Saturday. To be fair he was injured and struggled most of the game. His first full game he was outstanding, but quieter last Saturday. He clearly has talent, but doesn't seem fully match fit. We had hoped his signing might be made permanent today, but with the deadline now passed, it hasn't happened. We have signed an US international instead (Mike Grella) who has been in trial and scored a hat-trick on his debut for the reserves.

Heather,

It's certainly a snowy old spell at the moment. Even had some substabtial snow in the lower-lying areas of Bristol which we don't see too often. The hills around are often snow-covered though and this includes the 600-foot high plateau on which BRS sits.

Looks as though the bulk of the snow is moving to the north of England this evening so LBA could see quite a fall. Even if it's not too bad I suspect ice may be a problem in the morning.

Thanks for info re LT. He blew hot and cold down here. At the time he had a pop star girlfriend so I am told (name meant nothing to me) and a Bentley convertible.

I bet with all that he wouldn't have been too amused riding an ASW Dash 8 to LBA, if indeed he used that mode of transport to get from The Yocality.

There are few flights getting in and out today, but overall, things are still chaotic. I presume there may be some runway braking action issues though as the Ryanair from Dublin diverted to Donny even though the airport was open, previous flights had landed, and the weather is clear and sunny.

What is usually the problem is pilots tend to ask for a breaking action test to be carried out, but unfortunately this cannot be done on what is essentially just a wet runway. Under these circumstances the tower can usually give an unofficial estimate only. The problem then occurs when the pilot requires an official reading from the mew meter.

Well, LBA was covered in at least 8 inches of the white stuff, so I think on this occasion, the chaos was justifiable. Presumably Cardiff had a few flakes but nothing in comparison to some. Sounds like a good day for Cardiff if it got all the diverts before the cancellations kicked in?

The snow made its way North again this morning and LBA was losing a few flights around 1000, with a couple of Jet2's diverted and some flights cancelled. On the other hand, Doncaster must have gone down first, as their FR9076 from Alicante diverted into LBA shortly before the snow started. According to news reports, Cardiff, Bristol, Luton, Birmingham and East Midlands were all closed this morning.

Yes a straight swap from last night because we lost the Dublin whne the Runway Visual Range dipped to around 175m. I think Ryanair can accept 200m RVR on runway 32 but I'm not sure if it was a tail wind in excess of 10 knots which would have curtailed it's attempt to land.

FR9076 ALICANTE 0820 LANDED 08:19

Where did the fog come from last night? It was really clear where I live 1.5 miles from the 32 threshold, in fact we had a sharp frost! This must have been one of those occasions when LBA had its own little micro-climate!

It looks like Dublin is still having problems with the weather. Tonights Ryanair flight to Dublin was cancelled again.

Yes I noticed that Aviador, but checked on BBC Ceefax and only one other DUB arrival was cancelled at other airports, and that was one inbound to MAN. Every other airport arrivals from DUB including those by Ryanair, showed 'landed' or 'expected at' , so I don't think it could have been a weather issue, unless they had aircraft out of position and chose LBA as the victims!

We seem to have bagged a couple of diverts again this morning, with the KL1489 coming in from HUY at 1048 and the NM412A coming in from somewhere from the Isle of Man. Both flights were operating back out again with passengers later today.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

Latest profile posts

My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.
1st time out and about with my camera for 4 months. 15km walked. Right ankle/foot is mot appreciative of what I did

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock